Dazed and confused!

/ Dazed and confused! #1  

milemarker211

Tractor
Kubota
Over the past several years i've read that the engine in the kubota L2501 hst is the same engine as that in the L3400, or possibly the L3301, or also possibly the L3201, though of course it's been detuned. Is there any truth to this and, if so, which one? (If none of the above, then what was the engine detuned from, since it's admittedly a detuned engine and so obviously was detuned from some other engine of more advanced horsepower?

/ Dazed and confused! #3  
Read this:

/ Dazed and confused! #4  
I’d love to get a definitive answer to your question. I’ve read that the L2501 simply has a detuned L3400 engine to the only thing they share is the engine block.

Mike

/ Dazed and confused! #5  
...though of course it's been detuned. Is there any truth to this and, if so, which one? (If none of the above, then what was the engine detuned from, since it's admittedly a detuned engine and so obviously was detuned from some other engine of more advanced horsepower?
Is the 2501 mechanically-timed? No engine computer?

Forgive me if you already know all this: Your tractor is in the L2501-3301-3901 series. These are all virtually identical machines except for engine output. That series is the one that replaced the L3200-L3800 series -- which includes mine (L3200).

Years ago I had your same question: is my L3200's engine simply a "detuned" version of the L3800? Answer is no. There are differences in displacement as well as piston bore size and stroke. You'll see that your 2501 also has smaller displacement, etc. compared to the 3301. So the 2501 engine is not a detuned version of the higher-output engines within those two series.

The thread in OTT makes a good case for it being related to the L3400 engine... but regardless, it seems very likely you can boost the OEM-rated output of any mechanically-timed engine with some tinkering.

Are you thinking of trying to up-tune it? If you do let us know what happened!

Last edited:
   / Dazed and confused! #6  
That would be good question for...ask tractor Mike on youtube.

/ Dazed and confused! #7  
At the very least it probably has a different injection system. Someone on another forum asked about a similar JD3025e, very similar to the Kubota. 25 hp to get rid of the need of emissions equipment. Is there more power lurking there? I’m sure there is but is it something a weekend wrenching guy can do easily, probably not.

/ Dazed and confused! #8  
^^^^
I’ve read several threads where guys have done one, or a combination of; increasing the RPM, bumping the injection timing and/or increasing the fuel on the L2501. Now, in theory, these changes should increase the power output of the L2501’s engine. However, it appears nobody has any means of measuring any potential gains from these modifications. Plus, there seems to be zero consensus regarding the reliability or longevity of these enhancements.

I did personally reach out to the fellow that turbocharged his L2501 since that thread hadn’t been updated in over a year. The tractor is still running strong with over 100 hours on the turbocharged engine.

Mike

/ Dazed and confused! #9  
^^^^
I’ve read several threads where guys have done one, or a combination of; increasing the RPM, bumping the injection timing and/or increasing the fuel on the L2501. Now, in theory, these changes should increase the power output of the L2501’s engine. However, it appears nobody has any means of measuring any potential gains from these modifications. Plus, there seems to be zero consensus regarding the reliability or longevity of these enhancements.

I did personally reach out to the fellow that turbocharged his L2501 since that thread hadn’t been updated in over a year. The tractor is still running strong with over 100 hours on the turbocharged engine.

Mike

Can be measured. You need to find a PTO dyno. @Tractor Time with Tim and @EverythingAttachments have both shown how those work on youtube. The latter showing how you up the HP by increasing the fuel. There's also a post on here on the Kioti engines and points out the fueling screw you need to adjust to do the deed.

/ Dazed and confused! #10  
Can be measured. You need to find a PTO dyno. @Tractor Time with Tim and @EverythingAttachments have both shown how those work on youtube. The latter showing how you up the HP by increasing the fuel. There's also a post on here on the Kioti engines and points out the fueling screw you need to adjust to do the deed.

I realize this (I've seen the videos). However, who's got a PTO dyno?

My point is that none of these guys that are tinkering with their tractors has that equipment to test them and verify their results. I can't blame them, I too don't know where to find one...at least in my area? Perhaps, PTO dyno's are more common in some areas than others?

I always dyno'd my vehicles, before and after any modification to test and verify results. If I start playing around with the tractor, I'd like to be able to do the same.

Mike