Dazed and confused!

/ Dazed and confused! #11  
^^^^
I’ve read several threads where guys have done one, or a combination of; increasing the RPM, bumping the injection timing and/or increasing the fuel on the L2501. Now, in theory, these changes should increase the power output of the L2501’s engine. However, it appears nobody has any means of measuring any potential gains from these modifications. Plus, there seems to be zero consensus regarding the reliability or longevity of these enhancements.

I did personally reach out to the fellow that turbocharged his L2501 since that thread hadn’t been updated in over a year. The tractor is still running strong with over 100 hours on the turbocharged engine.

Mike
Normally, in the truck world (diesel) when you up the air (turbo), one also ups the fueling.

/ Dazed and confused! #12  
I realize this (I've seen the videos). However, who's got a PTO dyno?

My point is that none of these guys that are tinkering with their tractors has that equipment to test them and verify their results. I can't blame them, I too don't know where to find one...at least in my area? Perhaps, PTO dyno's are more common in some areas than others?

I always dyno'd my vehicles, before and after any modification to test and verify results. If I start playing around with the tractor, I'd like to be able to do the same.

Mike
A lot of performance diesel (trucks) shops have a dyno.

/ Dazed and confused! #13  
^^^^
I’m familiar with many types of automotive dyno’s. I used them for decades testing my street and race vehicles.
However, forgive my ignorance, can a tractor be ran on a such a dyno?

Mike

/ Dazed and confused! #14  
Normally, in the truck world (diesel) when you up the air (turbo), one also ups the fueling.
Absolutely, can’t have one without the other....if you want positive results.

Mike

/ Dazed and confused! #15  
^^^^
I’m familiar with many types of automotive dyno’s. I used them for decades testing my street and race vehicles.
However, forgive my ignorance, can a tractor be ran on a such a dyno?

Mike
I don't see why not . . . you might check with your dealer (tractor) I believe some might have one also.

/ Dazed and confused! #16  
^^^^
I just haven’t heard, read or scene anyone strapping a tractor to a dyno. I’d love to hear some first hand experience.

I’ll definitely inquire with my dealer regarding a PTO/Dyno for the tractor. If I start playing...I want to verify results.

Mike

/ Dazed and confused! #17  
I realize this (I've seen the videos). However, who's got a PTO dyno?

My point is that none of these guys that are tinkering with their tractors has that equipment to test them and verify their results. I can't blame them, I too don't know where to find one...at least in my area? Perhaps, PTO dyno's are more common in some areas than others?

I always dyno'd my vehicles, before and after any modification to test and verify results. If I start playing around with the tractor, I'd like to be able to do the same.

Mike
Gotcha, yeah I'm in the same boat. I'd be willing to push my CX2510 output up closer to the 34hp rating it has on other tractors but how do you know when you get there. I too have been looking around for a PTO dyno with no success.

Also, I wouldn't talk to your dealer about it at all. Messing with the engine like that would definitely void the warranty on the engine if not the trans too.

/ Dazed and confused! #18  
Read this:

Hey guys. How about defeating life saving pollution controls (small particle carbon emissions) in order to boost torque and Horse Power?

/ Dazed and confused! #19  
I operate a Kubota L3700, and have for years. HP be damned. It's all about tractor weight and gear ratio. Throw 700 HP at a 6,000 lb machine and all you have accomplished is to poison your neighbors.

/ Dazed and confused! #20  
^^^^
Unless you have a 25HP tractor and you need some more power from your PTO to run a wood chipper or flail mower.

I agree, tractor weight is hugely important, but there are some reasons why someone would want to boost power.

Mike