Dealer Prep Time on New Tractor

/ Dealer Prep Time on New Tractor #81  
have heard some cool stories as well.
As I have heard myself being in the industry for 20 yrs. Most auto manufacturers who mass produce, fall under very similar circumstances. I mean look at Toyota w their "stuck accelerator pedal" syndrome a while back that would send cars careening to wherever they wanted to go as a result. Who finally pdi'ed that it was the design of the floor mat that was causing this and had nothing to do w mechanicals of the vehicle? That was not gonna happen at a rail yard nor a dealership and pun intended, was probably finally defined by "accident".

What I think is no longer cool however is I am now the last line of defense so to speak in the business I am in currently, and have to pick out and discern the stupid mistakes made on fabrication lines by humans and befuddled as to how things can get to be where they are. The "tractor" market deviates from auto pdi in a myriad of ways.
The "labor" market ain't what it used to be either.
What I have become very clear about is why "robots" in assembly came about and question the future as it relates to "hands on expertise".

Last edited:
   / Dealer Prep Time on New Tractor
As I have heard myself being in the industry for 20 yrs. Most auto manufacturers who mass produce, fall under very similar circumstances. I mean look at Toyota w their "stuck accelerator pedal" syndrome a while back that would send cars careening to wherever they wanted to go as a result. Who finally pdi'ed that it was the design of the floor mat that was causing this and had nothing to do w mechanicals of the vehicle? That was not gonna happen at a rail yard nor a dealership and pun intended, was probably finally defined by "accident".

What I think is no longer cool however is I am now the last line of defense so to speak in the business I am in currently, and have to pick out and discern the stupid mistakes made on fabrication lines by humans and befuddled as to how things can get to be where they are. The "tractor" market deviates from auto pdi in a myriad of ways.
The "labor" market ain't what it used to be either.
What I have become very clear about is why "robots" in assembly came about and question the future as it relates to "hands on expertise".
Some very valid points in manufacturing in general.

Lots of companies that were owned by founders who took production and quality control very personally, as they had given their lives to their business, are now replaced by stockholders who have hired bean counters to run the companies and squeeze every dime they can from the company to maximize their returns.

In the past 20 years this has gotten really bad, and has cost many, many jobs and caused countless companies to fold after the bean counters squeezed them to the point of no return.

/ Dealer Prep Time on New Tractor #83  

Lots of companies that were owned by founders who took production and quality control very personally, as they had given their lives to their business, are now replaced by stockholders who have hired bean counters to run the companies and squeeze every dime they can from the company to maximize their returns.

In the past 20 years this has gotten really bad, and has cost many, many jobs and caused countless companies to fold after the bean counters squeezed them to the point of no return.
I heard a story many years ago and don’t know if it’s true. Coleman camping stoves or lanterns would suddenly flash causing burns on users. At a board meeting the issue was discussed. The attorneys told Coleman that to recall or fix the devices would cost 2 million dollars, but the law suites would only be 1 million dollars.

Coleman looked at them and said “MY name is on those products and YOU WILL RECALL THEM!”

Things have certainly changed.

/ Dealer Prep Time on New Tractor #84  
I heard a story many years ago and don’t know if it’s true. Coleman camping stoves or lanterns would suddenly flash causing burns on users. At a board meeting the issue was discussed. The attorneys told Coleman that to recall or fix the devices would cost 2 million dollars, but the law suites would only be 1 million dollars.

Coleman looked at them and said “MY name is on those products and YOU WILL RECALL THEM!”

Things have certainly changed.
No, you're right.
It seems honor and righteousness have taken a back seat to greed and manipulation.
Is it of any wonder how we are what we are presently?

/ Dealer Prep Time on New Tractor #85  
At a board meeting the issue was discussed. The attorneys told Coleman that to recall or fix the devices would cost 2 million dollars, but the law suites would only be 1 million dollars.
And if you think on it - The ATTORNEYS would be getting paid for the lawsuit, but not for the recall.

/ Dealer Prep Time on New Tractor
And if you think on it - The ATTORNEYS would be getting paid for the lawsuit, but not for the recall.
Unfortunately, lawyers factor in to just about everything now. And it's not getting better.

/ Dealer Prep Time on New Tractor #87  
Unfortunately, lawyers factor in to just about everything now. And it's not getting better.
Makes Shakespeare's "Dick the Butcher's" assertion more and more correct.

/ Dealer Prep Time on New Tractor #88  

Most folks want to make more money, there are stockholders probably because the original owners wanted to expand (needed capital to expand to make more money) or sell a part of the company--more cash in the pocket. Competitors will come along that drive the need to be more efficient (e.g., cost cutting) to stay viable. Naturally, stockholders want to see a return (money not goodwill) on their investment. I want to maximize my return in my retirement accounts, adjusting my portfolio when a company fails to perform. Finally, not all privately owned companies are wedded to quality above everything else. I think in many cases the "good old days" are romanticized as our memories of how it really was fade over time.

/ Dealer Prep Time on New Tractor #89  
Since 2007 I've bought 3 new tractors and have had them delivered immediately, or loaded them on my trailer off the lot and took them home.

If the dealer is that backlogged I know that he's thrilled at the end of the month!