Dealer Prep Time on New Tractor

/ Dealer Prep Time on New Tractor
That is awesome! What a handsome machine as well; I know that's not a big factor in tractor purchases, but that blue is sharp.
Thank you! It's growing on me... I was getting tired of Case red. 🤠

/ Dealer Prep Time on New Tractor #72  
Sadly or fortunately? Tractor dealers don't work as fast as car dealers

They just don’t do the volume to be efficient at anything., or enough business to hire personnel for each department.

They just don’t do the volume to be efficient at anything., or enough business to hire personnel for each department.
There's tractor dealers around here that do huge volumes. Especially those who have all the dealerships in a certain geographic area.
Around here, any John Deere or Case dealer within 200 miles are all owned by the same company. Each of them kinda has the market cornered, so to speak. But they have lots of employees and large inventories as well as service depts.

I think the volume of tractor sales in some areas are pretty high due to the amount of agriculture in the area.

Personally, I prefer to do business with family owned dealerships.

/ Dealer Prep Time on New Tractor #74  
Dealers I've been talking to recently are quoting between 1-2 weeks for prep and delivery. I don't provide any money till delivery, which tends to keep them focused on completing the PDI and delivery process. Since I don't rely on a tractor for my livelihood I can be flexible with how long it takes to deliver. What really p#@ses me off is when a dealer says delivery in x days which really means 3-4x days.

/ Dealer Prep Time on New Tractor #75  
Really?
that's what you think?
It has "zero" to do with that.
Lot boys at auto dealerships don't even check if there is oil in the car.
They just take the plastic coverings off, wash and maybe wax the thing, then it's done and is why you can drive away "in minutes" as someone posted earlier.
A tractor has about 92 other things that should be done for a proper pdi.

Last edited:
   / Dealer Prep Time on New Tractor #76  
So I made a deal on a new Powerstar 110 New Holland last week. Good deal, and I trust the dealer.

I asked him if I could come in the first part of this week now, and pick up my new tractor?

He said that was a service dept question, as the service dept is a bit backlogged now. But to call the service mgr. and tell him what I wanted done to the tractor, and see how long the wait is.

Okay... So I called the service mgr., and he took down what tractor and what I wanted done. (Just tire sealant added, really.) I asked him when he could get that out for me?

Ummm... we have a stack of tractors to make ready that are already sold. Maybe a bit more than 2 weeks.

🤨

Really? This is the 3rd piece of equipment I've bought at this dealer. I never had to wait before. I know it's all labor related. Getting someone to work, or show up for work. Or even getting qualified help of any sort. But it's really pretty disgusting to have to deal with this. Time is money.

Anyone else having these issues? It's a first for me.
Tell the dealership that if it takes that long to add tire sealant that you don’t want to wait that long and to refund your money so that you can go to another dealership to do business

Tell the dealership that if it takes that long to add tire sealant that you don’t want to wait that long and to refund your money so that you can go to another dealership to do business

Actually I did just that. I bought a new Powerstar 120 and just picked up a new Powerstar 75 today. From when I made the deal to taking delivery was one day. Tire sealant added. I had not signed papers on the tractor with my old dealer. I don't sign or pay for anything until I can take delivery.

/ Dealer Prep Time on New Tractor #78  
Really?
that's what you think?
It has "zero" to do with that.
Lot boys at auto dealerships don't even check if there is oil in the car.
They just take the plastic coverings off, wash and maybe wax the thing, then it's done and is why you can drive away "in minutes" as someone posted earlier.
A tractor has about 92 other things that should be done for a proper pdi.
that's because pdi is done at the rail yard by people that is the only thing they do all day long on thousands of cars.

/ Dealer Prep Time on New Tractor #79  
that's because pdi is done at the rail yard by people that is the only thing they do all day long on thousands of cars.
All they do is check for body damage.
A rail car can hold 12-15 cars and at different levels. Cars from container ships can amount to 8500 units at a time and many of these are protective wrapped.
As the cars come to the rail ramp to be loaded (mostly in big cities and with Union Pacific doing most of the hauling), they are given a visual once over and I suppose you could call that a pre delivery inspection.

/ Dealer Prep Time on New Tractor #80  
All they do is check for body damage.
A rail car can hold 12-15 cars and at different levels. Cars from container ships can amount to 8500 units at a time and many of these are protective wrapped.
As the cars come to the rail ramp to be loaded (mostly in big cities and with Union Pacific doing most of the hauling), they are given a visual once over and I suppose you could call that a pre delivery inspection.
they actually have a garage at our rail yard, all fluids checked, manuals, paperwork moroni stucker installed etc bubble wrap stays on and transport mode still active, but everything else is done per manufacturer. car haulers pick them up drop at dealers. dealer looks for damage peels bubble wrap off disables transport mode and parks the car maybe a bath. this is according to multiple car hauling friends who have been doing it for 20 years. I can't say all areas all car brands are the same but dealers do very little here, I can easily see small locations few dozen cars not but our port sees thousands.

have heard some cool stories as well.