Deere Hydraulics - my 5055e a Lemon

/ Deere Hydraulics - my 5055e a Lemon #41  
Just my thoughts and opinion, if hydraulic fluid is getting hot enough to melt a plastic gas tank, it is also getting hot enough to melt o-rings and gaskets inside the hydraulic system.

If I owned a tractor the hydraulics were generating that kind of heat and the dealer and JD was not providing some very positive feed back on problem resolution and replacement, I am afraid I would be looking for a sympathetic Attorney skilled in civil tort proceedings.

/ Deere Hydraulics - my 5055e a Lemon #42  
My 5065e serial number is 1PY5065ELCB009897. Can anyone tell me if it is susceptible to this issue? It was manufactured in. Oct 2012

From my understanding, this is not something that is an admitted error in a certain batch of 5000E tractors from JD. Therefore, there's really no way to know if you will have these issues or not based on your S/N.

How many hours are on your 5065? Have you ever noticed anything like this?

There are a LOT of 5000E tractor owners out there, and a lot of them haven't reported this issue happening. At least on the net.

It's really just a "wait and see" thing right now as the OP and another 5000E owner are working this issue up the proverbial ladder with their dealers, regional reps and the JD customer service dept.

/ Deere Hydraulics - my 5055e a Lemon #43  
JD 110 on GTT forum said that serial number 003001 (last 6 digits) was last model w/o a design change to fix problem.

/ Deere Hydraulics - my 5055e a Lemon #44  
Just my thoughts and opinion, if hydraulic fluid is getting hot enough to melt a plastic gas tank, it is also getting hot enough to melt o-rings and gaskets inside the hydraulic system.

If I owned a tractor the hydraulics were generating that kind of heat and the dealer and JD was not providing some very positive feed back on problem resolution and replacement, I am afraid I would be looking for a sympathetic Attorney skilled in civil tort proceedings.

That was my thought exactly reading the original post...there's an awful lot of stuff in that hydraulic system that if it didn't fail immediately, will surely age much more quickly and fail prematurely...sounds like a big mess in the making. I'd give deere a chance, and take it to a different dealer if possible. Write a letter to their warranty department explaining your issues. Emails and phone calls go away, but a letter sitting on someone's desk gets shifted around until it eventually makes it to someone who will do something about it. Maybe you could ask them if they'd like to do a write-up of how happy you are with it in 'The Furrow.' I'd bet dollars to pesos they'd decline your offer. :)

Sent from my LGL35G using TractorByNet

/ Deere Hydraulics - my 5055e a Lemon #45  
Has anybody got an idea as to the first serial number that carries this potential problem. After all they have been making this size tractor pretty much as it is now for decades but with various numbers on the front. There must of been some design change or parts lot that started this and I'd like to know what the real problem is and what it takes to avoid it.

/ Deere Hydraulics - my 5055e a Lemon #46  
I've got a '02 5520 with no issues and I really like the tractor but when I read these things I start thinking Kubota when the replacement time comes. I can't imagine Kubota stiffing a customer but I'm not so sure about Deere. Deere makes great stuff but you have to man-up if the time comes.

/ Deere Hydraulics - my 5055e a Lemon #47  
Rmd8136
Silver Member
Join DateJun 2012Posts132LocationFt mill, scTractorDeere 5065e MFWD
Re: Deere Hydraulics - my 5055e a Lemon
JD 110 on GTT forum said that serial number 003001 (last 6 digits) was last model w/o a design change to fix problem.

/ Deere Hydraulics - my 5055e a Lemon #48  
Did you see this from another forum?

I've had a 5065E for almost a year now. The starter went out the first week or so. When you think of how many hundreds of starters a plant would put out in a day, I feel I just happened to get a bad one. Warranty covered the repair & service trip.

The rear hitch has been the problem. It went out completely, I'm told because of the Factory original design of putting a gasket AND O-rings on the tubes from the pump to the rear control valve. Gasket cuts the O-rings, rear hitch starts sucking air, and rear hitch quits working. Make a short story long, I *****ed enough about this repair that warranty paid the repair and the dealer ate the cost of transportation to and from my farm. This was at about 45 hours.

PS - when the above happens, the rear control valve under the seat gets so hot it melts the plastic fuel tank. Dealer-warranty also paid for a tank.

HOWEVER, the rear hitch still seems to be a weak link. Unit has 58 hours or so on the unit, so it's not under-use or over-use. I say the rear hitch is still weak, as, upon startup -- the front (mid) hydraulics work immediately at start-up. Sometimes, the rear hitch will not raise my MX-8 shredder until several minutes after startup, and by then I've drug it out of the shop, and across the farm leaving two drag marks on the ground. Then all of a sudden, it raises.

A neighbor has a late model 45-50 hp unit that, if he kills the tractor with the implement raised, upon start-up, the rear hitch will not work until he bangs the implement across his driveway or a ditch bank to make an internal valve release. Then the rear hitch works fine.

I expected MORE from John Deere.

Fred-Usually overheated hydraulic oil is caused from being worked through a relief valve under pressure.

/ Deere Hydraulics - my 5055e a Lemon #49  
Did you see this from another forum?
Yah I'm pretty sure I've read that before. It states the problem but doesn't get to the final answer.
The forum that gets to the bottom of this will have the bragging rights!!
Lets not let the competition get ahead of us.

/ Deere Hydraulics - my 5055e a Lemon #50  
I've spent the morning bush hogging with my 2012 5075e, and this thread came to mind when the soles of my boots started getting red hot. Doesn't look like anything has melted, but everything from the floor board back was red hot. I already know there is something wrong in the hyd system because I have to pump the brakes to make them work. JD said it was "in specs."

I'm gonna let it cool and try to finish my work. Then I think I will run until something melts or burns and let them tell me its "in specs" then.

Sorry to the OP and all the others having trouble with the E series. I sure wish I had my 5210 back.

Red hot hydraulic oil ? What else are you saying that we can't believe ?