Did I break it bad?

/ Did I break it bad? #1  

hudlow

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 790
I guess I overloaded my FEL on my JD790. As you can see in the photo the arms on the FEL came loose. As far as I can tell nothing is broken and no hoses are leaking.

The only damage I can see is that the latch link rods are bent.

It almost looks like this was supposed to happen to prevent a major breakage...?

How do I fix this? All advice is greatly appreciated.

img0577ax.jpg

Thanks, hud

/ Did I break it bad?
Upon further inspection I think can rig a come-a-long to the ROP and pull the FEL back into place. Then I'll take the rubber shims off the brace, reseat the arms and re install the rubber shims and hope for the best.

Am I on the right track?

hud

/ Did I break it bad? #3  
Upon further inspection I think can rig a come-a-long to the ROP and pull the FEL back into place. Then I'll take the rubber shims off the brace, reseat the arms and re install the rubber shims and hope for the best.

Am I on the right track?

hud

Looks like you're heading in the right direction. You can't use the hydraulics at all?
Anyway, once you get it back on the mounts and the grill guard repositioned (or repaired), you can better assess the damage, if any.

Good luck!

/ Did I break it bad? #4  
I can't tell by the pics, is there anything that locks the rear loader frame to the tractor frame??

/ Did I break it bad? #5  
Were your shims loose? I am not sure how that would happen if they were tight. I think you are on the right track to get it back on. Good luck

/ Did I break it bad? #6  
I can't tell by the pics, is there anything that locks the rear loader frame to the tractor frame??

You can see those black parts in the loader recepticals? They're called "Wedges".
When the loader is installed, those wedges are tapped down, then the bolts are torqued.

/ Did I break it bad?
Looks like you're heading in the right direction. You can't use the hydraulics at all?
Anyway, once you get it back on the mounts and the grill guard repositioned (or repaired), you can better assess the damage, if any.

Good luck!

Thanks Roy,

Hydraulics still work. I was able to lower the bucket to the ground after I moved the tractor to an area where I could work on it better.

I might be able to use them to help get the arms back on the mounts.

It looks like the grill guard hinges with the rest of the assembly so it might just roll back into place when everything else comes up.

hud

Last edited:
   / Did I break it bad?
Were your shims loose? I am not sure how that would happen if they were tight. I think you are on the right track to get it back on. Good luck

I don't believe the shims (wedges) were loose. I think I attempted to pick up more weight than the FEL was rated. It was a chunk of concrete that the mixer left behind when he was cleaning his chute.

The way it happened - it really does look like this was engineered to do just exactly what it was supposed to do. If the weight limit was exceeded the arm torqued out from under the rubber wedge and dropped the load before steel started giving way.

At any rate I'm glad it worked that way. It probably saved me a ton of money.

hud

/ Did I break it bad?
You can see those black parts in the loader recepticals? They're called "Wedges".
When the loader is installed, those wedges are tapped down, then the bolts are torqued.

If the loader was securely fastened with bolts I suppose something would have broken.

I had my Bush Hog on the back of the tractor and I suppose it gave me enough ballast to pick up that concrete rock and overload the FEL.

hud

/ Did I break it bad? #10  
I had my Bush Hog on the back of the tractor and I suppose it gave me enough ballast to pick up that concrete rock and overload the FEL.

I don't see how that could be. If you were to overload the design capacities of the loader the hydraulics have a relief valve that would kick in well before mounting points should break. Look carefully as you put things back together and make sure there is not some other problem.

MarkV