Did I break it bad?

/ Did I break it bad? #31  
That would be correct and should be done every time the loader is installed on the tractor. The big thing here is the loader has to be supporting the tractor before the adjustments are made.

Wrong - After the loader is re-installed and the wedges correctly adjusted, do not tinker with it. Closely study the position of the wedges, and make a proper permanent note as to where the wedges are. Use a Sharpie magic marker, and put some thought into it.

Once the wedges are correctly positioned, let them alone. They are not meant to be adjusted each time the loader is installed.

Each time after mounting the loader, make a visual check to see that the wedges have not moved. If the wedges continue to shift, then that problem needs to be corrected.

I believe you are in error...IIRC, the operator's manual specifies the wedges to be checked (adjusted) each time the loader was installed. Not much to it...
I had the #60 loader which used those wedges...the thread the Gizmo2 linked to pretty much explains it.
Adjusting wedges isn't rocket science...very simple operation that takes two minutes if you're really slow.

Just out of curiousity, have you ever owned one of these little Deeres with a #60 or #70 loader?

/ Did I break it bad?
I got it back together. I used a come-a-long to pull it back into place and after some wigglin' and adjustin' the wedges went in and I have them tightened down on the mast arms.

The hydraulics all seem to be OK. I can raise and lower the bucket and it rotates. I'm not going to put it under a load until I've had a chance to go over the entire tractor and do a long overdue PM. I'll need to get a torque wrench and take care of those wedge bolts too.

Thank-you all for helping me through this. Truth be told, the last thing I needed to have to do was spend money on fixing this tractor.

Very soon I will be toasting all the good folks on this forum with a cool beverage.

hud

/ Did I break it bad? #33  
I got it back together. I used a come-a-long to pull it back into place and after some wigglin' and adjustin' the wedges went in and I have them tightened down on the mast arms.

Very soon I will be toasting all the good folks on this forum with a cool beverage.

hud

I know we were all glad to help...but after that toast, you might want to figure out why the relief valve didn't function.

/ Did I break it bad?
I know we were all glad to help...but after that toast, you might want to figure out why the relief valve didn't function.

I wonder if the wedges were so bad out of adjustment that they gave before the relief valve had a chance?

hud

/ Did I break it bad? #35  

Roy I brought up the relief valve question originally. Now I am wondering if the wedge adjustment thing, not something I have owned, could have been out of adjustment in a way that caused the loader mount to fail within the hydraulics design specifications? I know you owned the same tractor, any thoughts?

MarkV

/ Did I break it bad? #36  
I believe you are in error...IIRC, the operator's manual specifies the wedges to be checked (adjusted) each time the loader was installed. Not much to it...
I had the #60 loader which used those wedges...the thread the Gizmo2 linked to pretty much explains it.
Adjusting wedges isn't rocket science...very simple operation that takes two minutes if you're really slow.
In all fairness here I did inadvertently leave out the work "Check". Whad'ya know, we are all correct.:D

/ Did I break it bad? #37  
Roy I brought up the relief valve question originally. Now I am wondering if the wedge adjustment thing, not something I have owned, could have been out of adjustment in a way that caused the loader mount to fail within the hydraulics design specifications? I know you owned the same tractor, any thoughts?

MarkV

I don't know...but I do think it's quite possible those wedges may have been loose. Hudlow did think they were tight, however...
As you know, the adjustment bolts are threaded in to them, so they would not come out completely.

Hopefully, hudlow will get it all installed and have no further problems. So, unless hudlow posts more, I'd reckon this thread is about finished.

/ Did I break it bad? #38  
One more thing to check. Are you sure that the lock cams were fully engaged? I think I once did something similar when I didn't notice that the springs between the lock rods and cams had compressed without the cams rotating into the forward "locked" position. At all other times my loader simply goes into relief if I try to lift something that is too heavy.

/ Did I break it bad? #39  

Just out of curiousity, have you ever owned one of these little Deeres with a #60 or #70 loader?

I have used a 955 with a 70 loader on it quite a few times. I have removed and re-installed the loader about four times. Tomorrow I will visit the 955 and
check the wedge detail while I am there.

The wedges are a semi-permanent adjustment. Once they are correctly set
they should only need adjusted to compensate for wear. Fiddling with them repeatedly will lead to them not staying tight.

MarkV probably has the correct analysis. When the dealer mounted the sub-frame and the loader, they did not adjust the wedges correctly.
Everybody with a 60,70, 80 loader should check their wedge adjustment.

/ Did I break it bad? #40  
I have used a 955 with a 70 loader on it quite a few times. I have removed and re-installed the loader about four times. Tomorrow I will visit the 955 and
check the wedge detail while I am there.

The wedges are a semi-permanent adjustment. Once they are correctly set
they should only need adjusted to compensate for wear. Fiddling with them repeatedly will lead to them not staying tight.

I disagree with you and adjusted everytime the loader was re-installed. This was done numerous times in the 2-3 years I owned the 670.
However, the manual just states the procedure and doesn't really specify how often....matter of how you interpret the manual, I suppose.
And, they never got loose (referencing your last statement).

(ADDED)The attached file is from the manual. It was an attachment on the thread the Gizmo2 linked to. Note the FIRST (bolded) instruction.

Attachments

• 70 Loader Install.jpg
    70 Loader Install.jpg
    214.7 KB · Views: 137