Did I break it bad?

/ Did I break it bad?
I'll wager your wedges weren't properly adjusted. Due to loader movement, they do have to be adjusted occasionally (even if the loader isn't removed and re-installed).

I'd say that might be a good wager...:thumbsup:

I see that the wedges are mounted in slotted holes. The bolts in one of the wedges are in the bottom of the slot while the other on the opposite side of the tractor are in the top of the slot. I does appear that they have moved recently.

They could have moved when the FEL gave way - or before. Anyway I need to get up and going.

I know I'll have to take them out to replace the arm back in the bracket so I want to put them back in correctly.

Is there a procedure for adjusting these wedges?

Should I replace the bolts with new ones?

Edit: I'll still have to address the issue concerning the relief valve.

Thanks

/ Did I break it bad? #22  
I'd say that might be a good wager...:thumbsup:

Is there a procedure for adjusting these wedges?

Should I replace the bolts with new ones?

Thanks

Can't hurt to replace the bolts, but probably not necessary.

As far as the procedure:
Loosen bolts
Tap wedges until solidly in place
Tighten bolts and torque.

I'm pretty sure the torque is 90 ft-lbs, if memory serves me (of course, I'm lucky to remember my name...which, coincidentally, is why my TBN nick is my name...if I ever forget it, I can just log on to TBN).

This procedure is in the operator's manual for your tractor or loader, BTW.

/ Did I break it bad? #23  
You can see those black parts in the loader recepticals? They're called "Wedges".
When the loader is installed, those wedges are tapped down, then the bolts are torqued.
That would be correct and should be done every time the loader is installed on the tractor. The big thing here is the loader has to be supporting the tractor before the adjustments are made.

Your wedges are rubber? Odd... The wedges on my old 670 (#60 loader) were steel.
Since MarkV brought up the relief valve...good point. It should have relieved before the loader came off the mounts. That valve might be sticking. I had both rear tires (no 3PH ballast) off the ground and the loader never came off the mounts (nor did the relief valve let go...)
My JD650 had the #60 loader also and the wedges were steel.

/ Did I break it bad?
The big thing here is the loader has to be supporting the tractor before the adjustments are made.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. Are you saying to put the weight of the tractor onto the FEL before I torque the wedge bolts?

thanks

/ Did I break it bad? #25  
I'm not sure what you mean by this. Are you saying to put the weight of the tractor onto the FEL before I torque the wedge bolts?

thanks

I'm not sure what he means either...but you do want those masts seated in the recepticals.

/ Did I break it bad? #26  
Once the loader is on and your front brackets are engaged, on level ground drop the bucket to the ground and slightly lift or take the pressure off the front of the tractor. This will ensure the loader back supports are seated to their fullest then loosen the wedge bolts, adjust and tighten.

/ Did I break it bad? #29  
I was just thinking what would be the result if only one side had let go!:(

/ Did I break it bad? #30  
That would be correct and should be done every time the loader is installed on the tractor. The big thing here is the loader has to be supporting the tractor before the adjustments are made.

Wrong - After the loader is re-installed and the wedges correctly adjusted, do not tinker with it. Closely study the position of the wedges, and make a proper permanent note as to where the wedges are. Use a Sharpie magic marker, and put some thought into it.

Once the wedges are correctly positioned, let them alone. They are not meant to be adjusted each time the loader is installed.

Each time after mounting the loader, make a visual check to see that the wedges have not moved. If the wedges continue to shift, then that problem needs to be corrected.