Did I ruin my new carburetor for 18hp Kohler Command?

/ Did I ruin my new carburetor for 18hp Kohler Command? #41  
I have a Toro/Wheelhorse tractor with a Kohler Command 18hp motor that is running like crap, seems to be fuel starved. I noticed the carb selenoid wire was barely attached and when I removed it the wire broke the rest of the way. New selenoid at dealer $75, online $28. New carb with selenoid at dealer $280, online $170-ish but a new carb including selenoid online with the fuel inlet pointing straight out instead of down was only $45. I figured a new carb might help resolve the fuel problem it seems to be having. If I couldn't use the cheaper carb because of the inlet direction I only spent an extra $17 on a selenoid and have a completely new bunch of carb parts so I bought the new carb for $45.

Well, being the impulsive idiot that I can be I thought, gee that fuel inlet looks to be just pressed in, I wonder if it can be turned. It was against my better judgement but I grabbed a pair of pliers and applied very little force and it turned pretty easily. I thought, uh oh, I think that was a bad idea. I expected it to be much tighter and not move at all and I would go with my original plan of re-routing the fuel line somehow (which would be difficult due to the air cleaner plate in the way but not impossible). When I applied such little force and the inlet moved I didn't know whether to be happy or scared for what I had just "accomplished". I'm thinking I might have broken a seal of some sort and now it's going to leak, or worse.

So, did I ruin my new carb and if so can I repair it?

Thanks

Carl, it sounds like it all worked out for you. I have a carb acting up and was wondering where you found the complete carb online for $45? thanks.

/ Did I ruin my new carburetor for 18hp Kohler Command?
hawkeye08, I just replied to your private message with the link to where I got the carb. I'm not sure if it's OK to post that info out here so if anyone else needs to know where I got it send me a private message. I got lucky and got my carb on clearance for $43 but the place I ordered it from was still half of dealer cost with their regular prices.

/ Did I ruin my new carburetor for 18hp Kohler Command?
Hawkeye, with the ethanol gas eating up fuel systems it might be worth it to get the whole new carb, even though yours is $130, not the $43 one, especially if your engine is over 5 or 6 years old. I forgot to order carb gaskets but they were fine so I just reused them, but you may want to check yours first if you get the new carb. Call Tulsa or use their online chat to verify that your carb comes with the solenoid but I think most of them do. I also recommend taking some pics of the linkages with your digital camera before you take anything apart.

When I replaced the fuel lines I cut off the end of an old fuel filter to connect the roll of new line to the end of the old line near the engine (with lots of electrical tape too) and pulled it through from the back by the gas tank. Then I cut it to length up by the engine. That saved me a ton of time and aggravation trying to route the fuel line where I couldn't get my fingers into. I got a 25' role of fuel line from Tulsa for $17 or $18 but you can also buy it by the foot. I added a fuel filter for a couple bucks and I threw on a new $10 universal fuel pump and a $5 fuel shutoff valve and gas tank grommet for good measure. I got a new air filter/cleaner too for under $10 which I recommend.

So you could replace your entire fuel and air system for around $170 plus a few bucks for shipping. I know it's a lot of money but if it's an older engine it will be money well spent. Only took me an hour or two to replace all of that and the old Wheelhorse ran like new again. It was a big selling point for the guy who bought my tractor as he didn't have to worry about ethanol damage.

You probably don't need all of these little tips but I figured I'd throw the info out there in case anyone new to small engine repair reads it, they may find it helpful.

Keep us posted on what you end up doing and how you make out either here or on a new thread.

Last edited: