Did I ruin my new carburetor for 18hp Kohler Command?

/ Did I ruin my new carburetor for 18hp Kohler Command? #31  
OK, the deed is done.

JB Weld takes about 24-48 hours to fully cure...(read the instructions if you haven't).
Anyway, looks great...very nicely done!!

/ Did I ruin my new carburetor for 18hp Kohler Command? #32  
I have a twin engine of this version on a 4 k.w. Gen. and the wire is used to shut off fuel to engine to stop anti-dieseling when stopping. or just shuting off the engine.
Mine also would drop off with vibration in running. so tightened the connector and broke off the spade lug. so no repair chances. Yep 75 bucks for a cheap 2 dollar part. 45 dollars for a new carb. or 75 for the part. + shipping . Engineered not to be repaired seems the modern way of thinking.
ken

/ Did I ruin my new carburetor for 18hp Kohler Command? #33  
yep... seen plenty of just-barely-enough engineering...

soundguy

/ Did I ruin my new carburetor for 18hp Kohler Command?
Yup, and people get mad at us being a throw away culture but it's because everyone wants to buy cheap stuff instead of pay for quality stuff that can be repaired. Oh well.

The JB Stick I used said it sets in 5-10 minutes and is cured and can be drilled, tapped, etc in 60 minutes. I waited at least an hour or two before putting the Seal-All over it and it seemed rock hard when I did so I think it is good to go. Maybe the JB Weld stick can cure faster because it's not a paste so it's almost dry when it's applied.

/ Did I ruin my new carburetor for 18hp Kohler Command? #35  
Maybe the JB Weld stick can cure faster because it's not a paste so it's almost dry when it's applied.

Could be...stuff I used in the Navy was in two cans (the epoxy and the accelerator) that was mixed on a separate surface (I use cardboard or something of that nature). Once mixed, you had about 10-15 mnutes to work it (if that).
Been close to 30 years since I've used JB Weld.

Have you ran the mower yet?

/ Did I ruin my new carburetor for 18hp Kohler Command? #36  
Could be...stuff I used in the Navy was in two cans (the epoxy and the accelerator) that was mixed on a separate surface (I use cardboard or something of that nature). Once mixed, you had about 10-15 mnutes to work it (if that).
Been close to 30 years since I've used JB Weld.

Have you ran the mower yet?

they have about 3 formula's out now.. the regular 2 part that needs overnight.. the 'quick' that takes about 3 minutes to tack, and 15-30m to harden.. and the stick stuff that is a hair faster.

soundguy

I put everything together today and the mower runs great! I didn't see any leaking but I'll check it again tomorrow and the next day, etc. I tried the old carb with the new solenoid off the new carb just so I know if the old carb ok. It did run pretty good even with the old carb but with the new one, new fuel pump, filter and all new fuel lines it definitely runs even better. I mowed a little but after a week of rain it was useless, just a lot of mud under the grass. I already posted the mower on Craigslist, here's hoping it sells quickly now that it's running so good.

/ Did I ruin my new carburetor for 18hp Kohler Command? #38  
cool beans.

soundguy

Well after a couple of weeks, the carb is fine, no leaks, tractor runs great. I sold it Saturday for $1,200 which I am happy with. I think the guy will be happy with it and get many good years out of it.

/ Did I ruin my new carburetor for 18hp Kohler Command? #40  
i love happy endings.

soundguy