Did I ruin my new carburetor for 18hp Kohler Command?

/ Did I ruin my new carburetor for 18hp Kohler Command?
I agree, I have some JB Weld stick I'll put on it today so I can try it tomorrow. I think it will be easier to make a nice neat bead with a little roll of putty instead of slopping the goop around it.

/ Did I ruin my new carburetor for 18hp Kohler Command? #22  
if it's not installed, either would work. I've even use dthe putty to make a bead, then top coated, after curing with the paste form, secured in a good position so it makes a clean surface.

remeber.. clean the area first..

soundguy

/ Did I ruin my new carburetor for 18hp Kohler Command? #23  
if it's not installed, either would work. I've even use dthe putty to make a bead, then top coated, after curing with the paste form, secured in a good position so it makes a clean surface.

remeber.. clean the area first..

soundguy

Soundguy, ever try this?

After you put the bead down, use water (just dab your finger in it) and blend the bead into the adjacent surfaces. If you're careful, it'll look like a fillet radius.
Or:
Mask the surrounding area (use masking tape)...let it cure for a short time (5-10 minutes) then remove the masking tape. Leaves a nice bead.

I haven't used JB Weld in years, but used it frequently when I was in the Navy. Heck, I think we built an F-4 Phantom II out of JB Weld.

Roy, thanks for the tip with smoothing it out with water. I just want a nice neat finish that doesn't leak and looks good. I have a new tractor so these repairs will be for one that I will be selling so I want the new carb to still look as close to new as possible.

Building an F-4 Phantom II out of JB Weld, that cracks me up! I hope you worked some duct tape in there too somewhere.

/ Did I ruin my new carburetor for 18hp Kohler Command? #25  
Building an F-4 Phantom II out of JB Weld, that cracks me up! I hope you worked some duct tape in there too somewhere.

Of course we did! There ain't an aircraft in the fleet that doesn't have duct tape somewhere...

BTW, before you try the JB Weld on your carb, try that water blending trick(or the tape trick) on a couple pieces of scrap metal...it does take a bit of practice to make it look good. But once that JB Weld sets up, there's no going back...it's some tough epoxy!

/ Did I ruin my new carburetor for 18hp Kohler Command? #26  
yep roy, that would work great, the blending or masking..

soundguy

OK, the deed is done. I did the JB weld, let it harden then put two coats of the gas/oil resistant Seal-All over it. I'm not sure if it would have leaked or not before but I sure can't see how this could ever leak now. It looks good, not a hack job IMO. It looked better with just the JB Weld but I figured I might as well put the Seal-All on it too while it's here and clean. I hope nobody ever tries to move this inlet again cause it ain't goin nowhere now.

Attachments

• Kohler cv18s carb 001.jpg
    Kohler cv18s carb 001.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 141
  • Kohler cv18s carb 002.jpg
    Kohler cv18s carb 002.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 120
  • Kohler cv18s carb 005.jpg
    Kohler cv18s carb 005.jpg
    995.6 KB · Views: 195
  • Kohler cv18s carb 008.jpg
    Kohler cv18s carb 008.jpg
    789.3 KB · Views: 291
Last edited:
   / Did I ruin my new carburetor for 18hp Kohler Command? #28  
looks great.

NOW you don't have to loose any sleep worrying about it either way.

soundguy

/ Did I ruin my new carburetor for 18hp Kohler Command? #29  
For what I've been told the selenoid is there to shut the engine off in case you roll over. If the wire was bad then it would have been shutting off fuel to the engine. So it sounds like your original carb is a good back up or parts donor if the fix to your new carb fails. I doubt you'll have a problem though. I think those pipes are just pressed into place and with little pressure on them it doesn't take much to turn them (it could have some sort of barb to prevent it from coming out). I would keep an eye on it though for the first few times you mow, just in case the vibrations cause it to leak.

I'm pretty happy with how it came out and I'm fairly confident it will work well but I'll keep my eye on it. A new $270 carb for $45 and some JB Weld and Seal-All makes me very happy!

I'm pysched because whatever else I need to do to this tractor to get it running well, I can advertise it with a completely new, not refurbished fuel system. From the new shutoff valve at the tank, new fuel lines, filter, pump and carb, even new breather tubes. It also has a new battery, will get a fresh oil change and new oil filter, new air cleaner and plugs, and it got new blades last summer.

Hopefully it will all add up to a strong runner that I can get a good price for and someone else can get many more years of use from. I may even repaint the deck and throw a seat cover on it (or a new seat if I can get one cheap enough). It should sell well with all of that. Geez, after 14 years with this tractor I'm tempted to keep it if it all goes well but I'm lovin' my new Simplicity so I'm OK with letting it go. :D

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and ideas, especially Soundguy and Roy. I'll keep you posted on how it goes when it's installed, hopefully tomorrow.