Diesel additive for the cold

/ Diesel additive for the cold #1  

RJI

Tractor
2015 mahindra max 26xl shuttle
Been hearing different things from people on additive for diesel fuel so it wont gel due to cold...
My machine is in a barn with no heat or insulation...
Do I need to add anything to the fuel or is it ok without...
if I do need additive, what is it I'm looking for... thanks

/ Diesel additive for the cold #2  
This is what i use year round, prevents gelling up and also lubricates. Reason I do year round is so i don't forget in the winter months it's just a habit now every time i get diesel in the 5 gallon jugs.

Howes Lubricator

1oz every 5gallons. I know the stations up here switch to winter blend but it's an $8 bottle and so far has lasted 2 years.

/ Diesel additive for the cold #3  
It all depends on the fuel if it's summer or winter and if the tractor has a fuel heater. Winter #1 fuel will have some or all of the wax removed at the refinery.
On a somewhat related topic. If there is power in the barn. Pre-heating the engine with a block heater in winter weather reduces starting stress.
It appears that about 17F is the normal low end cold temps for the area. Brisk but much more livable than the northern and plains states.
Opinions vary about adding elixirs, potions, lotions and tonics to the various reservoirs of machines.

Last edited:
   / Diesel additive for the cold #4  
Get ready for a vast array of answers.

I use Howes Diesel Treat or Power Service in the white bottle. Both have served me well.

It's cheap insurance against having to walk home in the cold.

If you do have a gelling problem, Power Service in the red bottle is what you'll need to get things free again. I like to keep some on hand.

/ Diesel additive for the cold #5  
Most places in the North already have added to the fuel to keep it moving in the cold, but with that said I have never taken a chance and always use a product called Power Save, PS in big letters on a white bottle. It is cheap insurance against gel and helps keep parts lubricated. Any of them should be fine, just follow the directions on the bottle for the right mix. Plus if we prepare for the cold maybe it won't be so bad this year! Good luck.

/ Diesel additive for the cold #6  
Fuel quality/water management - buy from a high-volume station, keep equipment tanks full.

Keep filters changed per maintenance sched, keep a spare on hand for emergencies. Drain separator if equipped.

Some decent products and other points raised in this thread:

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/oil-fuel-lubricants/284226-diesel-fuel-additive-yanmar-engine.html

Bad cold snap - use a block heater, + generator if no AC in barn.

Rgds, D.

Edit - important to recognize that Winter fuel additive products generally fall into 2 categories:

1) Use every fillup, all Winter.

2) Use only for gelling (no-start) conditions.

Don't use 2) all the time.

D.

/ Diesel additive for the cold #7  
Im further north but have definitely had gelling problems with winter diesel. No issues with Power Service winter stuff.

/ Diesel additive for the cold #8  
I mostly use my tractor in the winter and I use 1 OZ of Power Service (white container) to 5 Gallons of fuel every time I refuel the tank.

/ Diesel additive for the cold #9  
I mostly use my tractor in the winter and I use 1 OZ of Power Service (white container) to 5 Gallons of fuel every time I refuel the tank.

We use our tractor all year round, but the F-350 Diesel mostly gets used in winter for plowing.

Last year, as the weather changed early and caught us with an untreated mixture of summer and winter diesel in the tank, so it took 2 days in the barn with the kerosene heater running and aimed under it and the battery charger on it, to get it to start,

Then we added the Power Service white and didn't have any trouble again with starting until I fumbled and dropped the keys into a 3' drift of fresh powder.

Thank God for our HF magnetic pickup tool, it made finding them a whole lot easier.

/ Diesel additive for the cold #10  
Only additive winter diesel needs is a dose of Isoprpal Alcohol IPA to absorb moisture and prevent freezing the fuel filter.