Diesel additive for the cold

/ Diesel additive for the cold #11  
This is what i use year round, prevents gelling up and also lubricates. Reason I do year round is so i don't forget in the winter months it's just a habit now every time i get diesel in the 5 gallon jugs.

Howes Lubricator

1oz every 5gallons. I know the stations up here switch to winter blend but it's an $8 bottle and so far has lasted 2 years.

i could have written that.

/ Diesel additive for the cold #12  
I use Power Service, White bottle for winter and there Gray bottle in the rest of the year.

/ Diesel additive for the cold #13  
Always used Power Service - white bottle or Howe's when I had a 1997 Powerstroke. It was a seasonal use truck that sat all winter so I also used an additive that prevented algae when I shut down business for the winter. I then switched to Ford Anti Gel & Performance Improver when I saw gallon cans on sale at United Auto.
I've since sold the truck and went to a gasser but will continue to use the Ford stuff in my Bobcat S185 until it's used up. Then I've got some Howe's left to use up.

/ Diesel additive for the cold #14  
I use Power Service (white bottle). I buy #2 HHO dyed diesel <15PPM ULSD in bulk (275 gallon tank). ULSD is all we can get here and works fine in my tier 4 tractor which requires ULSD anyway.
Tanks are outside and I add PS before having them filled. Tractor is parked in a semi heated garage kept at 45*F so easy starts and fuel doesn't gel. I've been using this fuel for past 12 years without problems. Prior to that I bought #2 diesel at the pump and used PS additive.
Since you are in a similar climate but your tractor is in an unheated barn I'd add extra PS and possible even run #1 diesel or a mix of #1 & #2 diesel to prevent fuel gelling.
I've heard Howes additive is good too but have never used it.

/ Diesel additive for the cold #15  
I work at a nuclear power plant. Of course we have our emergency diesel generators (2.5 MW). The two 10,000 gallon fuel tanks are outside in unheated enclosures. We also have many emergency response vehicles and equipment that is either outside or in unheated buildings. We don't use any fuel additives. We asked our fuel vendor about the need for additives. The vendor provided analytical facts that showed that the seasonal blend of fuel he provides do not need any additives for our seasons.

Back in the day when I was a heavy equipment mechanic, the brands of equipment that the dealerships I worked at represented did not recommend additives either. No recommendation for additive in my tractors owners manual. I don't use anything for my diesel. I add SeaFoam to my gas cans to combat the affects of our gasoline blends only.

/ Diesel additive for the cold #16  
I don't use a lot of fuel through the year so only have three 5 gallon cans of diesel in reserve. If the cans are filled when the coop has winterized diesel at the pump I don't add anything. In December when I still have unused summer diesel in the tractor, skid steer, and cans I add an ounce of Howes Lubricator Diesel Treat to each 5 gallons. Never had any issues so far.

/ Diesel additive for the cold #17  
I second the Howse products

Just saw them for sale in the local Tractor Supply today. I usually get mine through the NAPA if not in stock they get it for you in a day or 2.

Good stuff holds up to Canadian winters.

/ Diesel additive for the cold #18  
I also recommend Howes. Years ago it got me out of a mess with bad fuel in a highway truck and I have been using it ever since.

/ Diesel additive for the cold #19  
I use Stanadyne Performance Plus in all seasons. Have had very good luck with this product.

/ Diesel additive for the cold #20  
I use Power Service gray bottle in the summer and Power Service white in winter. I have noticed the label on the white bottle says not for use above 32 degrees. Several times I did not use the entire tank of fuel before spring, but have noticed no change in the engine operation. Don't know if this is a concern or not.