Oil & Fuel Diesel Additive

/ Diesel Additive
Thanks Everyone...

This give me piece of mind knowing the right product is going into my tractor for long lasting use. :D

Mike

/ Diesel Additive #12  
I use a product made by Howes(sp?) in the winter. From what I've read on here and a couple of other websites, I think it does a better job of stopping the gelling. I use power service in the summer.

I was using the white bottle of Power Service but switched to the Howes anti-gel last year.. I think I saw a study that said the Howes was a better anti-gel, but who knows where or when - I could have dreamed it.. lol

I have a little trouble finding Howes, but Northern Tool usually has it, and a few TSC carry it..

As mentioned the Power Servie 911 is for after your fuel has gelled.. The silver bottle of PS is more for the lubricity.

Brian

/ Diesel Additive #13  
This will be my first winter owning/Operating my Massey Ferguson Tractor and need some guidance here on Diesel Additives.

I have a Massey GC2400 (not sure if that matters) and will garage it throughout the winter. My garage is not heated but being attached to the house it stays between 30 and 40 degrees through the winter.

1) Should I add diesel additives to the fuel?

2) What about the additives that are added already at the gas station?

The reason why I ask it a buddy of mine said he used it in his truck and it ate away the seals and gaskets.

Suggestions would help as it was 67 yesterday for the high and it will be in the 20's for the low in a few days. :confused:

1. yes if it gets below 20's .diesel fuel has a cloud point around 20 F and a gel point around 0 F. cloud points in diesel is the crystals forming a wax particle. The ungel point when it warms up is always between the cloud and gelling point.
clear a mud ?:D

2. Do you TRUST a minimum wage gas attendant to tell you if the stuff is winterized or not everytime you fill up? I DON'T!! I always use treatment.

IT doesnt matter if you have a MF or kubota or 1 cylinder diesel or a ship sized engine- issue is the avg. temp of the diesel fuel when it needs to be used.

If you don't use the tractor in the winter, then no point of treating it as it will ungel when it's warm enough. As for diesel treatment eating aways seals, I haven't heard that one yet. I think there is some other factor at play. did he switch to b100 or something ?

/ Diesel Additive #14  
2) What about the additives that are added already at the gas station?

The reason why I ask it a buddy of mine said he used it in his truck and it ate away the seals and gaskets.

Suggestions would help as it was 67 yesterday for the high and it will be in the 20's for the low in a few days. :confused:

--------------------------------------------------
There were two periods when diesel fuel caused the seals and gaskets to leak. I copied the following explanation from a Chevron Website titled:

Fuel Leaks From Seals of Vehicles Using Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel starting in 2006:

Some vehicle owners, who recently began using the new EPA regulated ultra low sulfur (S15) diesel fuel, report that their vehicles have developed fuel leaks. Similar occurrences were reported in the early 1990’s when low sulfur fuel (S500) was introduced. The leaks in the 1990’s occured at points where elastomers (Orings) are used to seal joints in the fuel system. During the 1993-94 period, the most common occurrences were injector fuel pump leaks.

This problem is not exclusive to one engine type, one fuel type, or one geographic region. It can affect some engines that are older than ten years, but some newer ones have experienced the problem as well. The reoccurrence of these fuel leaks could become widespread geographically when the majority of fuel supplies are switched to S15. However, it is anticipated that only a very small fraction of the vehicles may be affected.

Should further elastomer failures occur, they are expected to be sporadic. Seals in some vehicles may fail while similar seals in other vehicles using the same fuel may not. Past experience indicates that the common denominator is expected to be nitrile rubber (Buna N)
seals that have seen long service at high temperatures. High temperatures have a tendency to accelerate seal aging. The reduction in sulfur content is not responsible for the problem.

Two explanations have been offered to explain the sudden occurrence of seal failures:

•Many of the new S15 fuels are expected to contain lower levels of aromatics. The change from a higher to a lower aromatics fuel can cause seals to shrink. Aged seals, which do not have the elasticity to adapt to this change, appear to fail sooner.

•Some of the new S15 fuels are expected to be more susceptible to oxidation. The resulting oxidation products (peroxides) could attack the seal material and cause it to prematurely age.

I have many pdf files regarding this same problem.

Take care,
Jim

/ Diesel Additive #15  
Late last winter I met an OTR truck driver and his wife while wandering around Tractor Supply. I asked him about what to use as an additive (after I told him about my BX2350 and the need to snow throw in winter).

He and his wife traveled as far north as the Canadian Maritimes in winter, sometimes facing -30 degrees Fahrenheit. He uses Howes Diesel Treat. I asked about other products. He said they were okay enough, but he uses Howes.

Nothing against Power Service products. I'm using Howes this winter. I also have a red bottle of 911 if I need it.

So, the BX2350 has a new Curtis cab. The Loftness snow thrower will be mounted tomorrow.

But, so far, no snow. Nothing. Last year this time we had three feet on the level. And I wasn't ready.

This year I'm ready. But, no snow . . . So far, my plan is working.

Doug

Last edited:
   / Diesel Additive #16  
Can someone please help me? I have a white bottle of power service from last year I assume its still good? Anyway I can't read the label anymore:eek: I need to know how much to use in my 5 gal. can? Thanks :p

/ Diesel Additive #17  
I致e used Stanadyne Performance Formula with every refill, both summer and winter, ever since the reduction of lubricating properties of diesel fuel came about that cost me a Fuel Injection Pump on my first 89 F250 7.3 Liter IDI Diesel.

Performance Formula - Stanadyne

me too.
Every fillup, winter or summer.

/ Diesel Additive #18  
yes power service is still good. However power service changed the formula from what I recall from couple years ago. What I do- I just add a splash of power service in 5 gallons that looks like couple big tablespoons worth. It's not worth the hassle to measure accurately since too much adds bit more cetane :D . too little only sets you you for a possible gelling issue when it gets below 0. Most of the winter a splash is sufficent. I just add another splash or 2 in tank when I know the temps will be 0 and below for a week or more. Its cheap insurance and buying another bottle is not a problem.

/ Diesel Additive #19  
I will cast another vote for Howes Diesel Treat. It saved me years ago with a Series 60 Detroit Diesel in a Kenworth tractor (a triple dose to clear up an already clogged filter during a sudden deep freeze) and I've used it ever since in all my diesels, with not one problem.

/ Diesel Additive #20  
Has anyone tried Racor ADT4116?