Oil & Fuel Diesel Additive

/ Diesel Additive #21  
I use Power Service also. Haven't had a problem. If it gets below 0-deg.F and I need to plow, I'll plug the tractor in for about 2 hrs. before starting.

/ Diesel Additive #22  
Going back to the original question, if the tractor is in an unheated, but insulated attached garage, do you even need additives?

/ Diesel Additive #23  
Going back to the original question, if the tractor is in an unheated, but insulated attached garage, do you even need additives?

A small bottle of treatment will cost you $5 at Wal Mart. Won't break you.

Let's say in a couple of weeks, we get some record lows. Could happen.
The temps inside your attached but unheated garage dip to the 20's. Again, could happen.
So what would you do then? This is all about being sure ahead of time..

/ Diesel Additive #24  
Per VW recommendation, I use Stanadyne, since I have it anyway for the TDI; sometimes Power Service.

"Going back to the original question, if the tractor is in an unheated, but insulated attached garage, do you even need additives?"

IMHO, YES. Even if your tractor is stored where it doesn't get too cold, think about your diesel fuel as it makes its journey from the tank, through the (exposed) fuel line to the engine area when you're outside in the cold air? Granted, on some tractors the runs are short, but....

/ Diesel Additive #25  

unheated area and Insulated or not - whats your average temp in your garage ? its usually same or 10 degrees higher then outside. if temps fall below 20's then what ? you still gonna get gelling. If it gels you can't start it when you really want it. during the summer- you still want to treat your fuel no matter what brand you use. keep injectors clean, prevent diesel fuel issues like sludge accumulating, algae growing. give you bit more power to engine with boosted cetane numbers. Doesn't these issues scare you yet ? If it doesn't then I don't know what to say. :(

/ Diesel Additive #26  
THE ONLY BRAND TO USE.

FPPF

The Diesel Power Team
Select from the products shown below for more information.
LUbricity 100%
Lubricity 100% Super Fuel Storage Stabilizer
Super Fuel
Storage Stabilizer Bio Diesel Winter Treatment
Bio Diesel
Winter Treatment 4000 Cooling System Treatment
4000 Cooling
System Treatment
fuel power
Fuel Power Polar Power
Polar Power Total Power
Total Power Lubricity Plus Fuel Power
Lubricity Plus
Fuel Power
8+ Cetane Improver
8+ Cetane Improver Diesel Fuel Injector Cleaner
Diesel Fuel Injector Cleaner Marine Formula Gas Treatment
Air Brake
Conditioner
Melt Down
Melt Down
Agri Fuel Treatment
Agri Fuel Treatment RV/Bus?SUV Formula
RV/Bus/SUV Formula Killem
Killem Diesel Engine Treatment
Diesel Engine Treatment
Fleet Formula Year Round
Fleet Formula
Year Round Fleet Formula Winter
Fleet Formula Winter Marine Diesel Fuel Formula
Marine Diesel
Fuel Formula Bio Diesel Fuel Power
Biodiesel
Fuel Power

/ Diesel Additive #27  
There really isn't a need to add a diesel additive when using #2 diesel because it has excellent lubricating qualities. It has a cloud point (point at which the wax in the diesel begins to drop out of solution) of about 40F.

In the winter I use #1 diesel. It has a cloud point of -40F, so it can handle any normal gelling problem. It doesn't have very good lubricating qualities (i.e., very little wax), so this is where the additives are useful. I use Opti-Lube XPD which in a recent test had the best lubricating qualities of all of the additives. It is pretty expensive and isn't widely available.

/ Diesel Additive #29  
There really isn't a need to add a diesel additive when using #2 diesel because it has excellent lubricating qualities. In the winter I use #1 diesel. It has a cloud point of -40F, so it can handle any normal gelling problem.

I don't want to burst your bubble and I wish I could agree with you but my own experiences and that of many of my friends and family regarding Diesel #1, Diesel #2, and Diesel Additives are completely different from what you posted. In a perfect world maybe but in the real world that I live in Diesel Fuel Additives are used to make up for regional differences of fuel quality. If you ever experienced diesel fuel gelling in cold climates you would not make the statements that you made. If you ever drove a 7.3 Liter IDI Diesel such as many still drive that used the sulfur of the fuel to lubricate the Fuel Injection Pump you would not relate to diesel fuel wax as a required lubricant. Many tractor owners also drive diesel powered trucks and cars and have completely different experiences. The new Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel (ULSD) barely lubricates fuel system components of older vehicles still on the road. Luckily when it is 25 degrees below zero F where I live my vehicles are in my heated garage and I rarely leave my vehicles outside but I still use a Diesel Fuel Additive for many of the other benefits that the additives provide.
Have a good day,
Jim

/ Diesel Additive #30  
Early on in my tractoring career, I twice experienced fuel gelling up while I was using the tractor. The tractor started fine, and worked for a while. Then, it started suffering all the symtoms of fuel starvation. And then wouldn't run. Sucked. Once I towed it into the garage and let it warm up, it started right up.
Ever since then, I've always put a large splash of treatment in every five gallons I buy, summer and winter. Doing it regularly keeps me in the habit, it's cheap, and you never know when the fuel will actually be used.
The effort/reward ratio is so high on this one, just do it.