Diesel Gelling - Never Would Have Expected It

/ Diesel Gelling - Never Would Have Expected It #61  
Your correct a crappy report,what was i thinking ? Maybe if you do a little follow up you will be able to comprehend what my point was?

Or instead of beating around the bush, why don't you just make your point clear?

What does the Spicer report/test on diesel fuel lubricity have to do with diesel fuel gelling?

And while you're at it, please show me where I said it was a "crappy" report. Go ahead, I'm waiting.

/ Diesel Gelling - Never Would Have Expected It #62  
Or instead of beating around the bush, why don't you just make your point clear?

What does the Spicer report/test on diesel fuel lubricity have to do with diesel fuel gelling?

And while you're at it, please show me where I said it was a "crappy" report. Go ahead, I'm waiting.
Ok,I will answer your question.If you go back to the spicer report look at items listed #2,5,6 and #12 tell my what you see?Thats correct it states ANTI-GEL in there products.So yes the report does have to do with anti-gelling & lubricity.

Last edited:
   / Diesel Gelling - Never Would Have Expected It #63  
It's really easy to get fuel from any pumps that contains some water. The water in the fuel is a big contributer to the gelling. There is a gas station that is local to me that has a problem with getting ground water into their tanks after a heavy rain storm. A friend of mine that owns a large excavation/trucking company that was getting fuel there. It caused him a huge headache to drain and flush all of his equipment and the down time was costly. Seeing that I was at that station in the fall and saw the enviormental pump truck pumping the water out of the tank, I'm guessing the problem was not fixed. This can't be the only station in the world where this has happened.

I get my fuel from a reputable heating oil company that has their own diesel pumps. Their holding tanks are above ground which will avoid any ground water flooding to get in the tanks. They aren't the cheapest around at all, but guys I know that care about their trucks and equipment buy their fuel there and say it's the best. MI've never had a problem with gelling and if I run anything but the good stuff, the tractors smoke like crazy.

As for adding lube to the fuel, newer machines don't need it because they were designed for low sulfur fuel. I use Marvel's Mystery oil in the old b7100 to combat the low sulfur. I know....it's ATF fluid.... But at least it tells you exactly how much to add to the fuel. It's not expensive, and it been around for a very long time. I even run it in my vehicles when they get over 100k, haven't had a motor blow yet. My sequoia has 170k on it now and it runs like new. Had a problem with the oil pressure sending unit getting crudded up, ran MMO in the oil, 1000 mile later the sending unit workes fine. Any lubricant added to the fuel will not help combat oil gelling.

/ Diesel Gelling - Never Would Have Expected It #64  
It's really easy to get fuel from any pumps that contains some water. The water in the fuel is a big contributer to the gelling. There is a gas station that is local to me that has a problem with getting ground water into their tanks after a heavy rain storm. A friend of mine that owns a large excavation/trucking company that was getting fuel there. It caused him a huge headache to drain and flush all of his equipment and the down time was costly. Seeing that I was at that station in the fall and saw the enviormental pump truck pumping the water out of the tank, I'm guessing the problem was not fixed. This can't be the only station in the world where this has happened.

I get my fuel from a reputable heating oil company that has their own diesel pumps. Their holding tanks are above ground which will avoid any ground water flooding to get in the tanks. They aren't the cheapest around at all, but guys I know that care about their trucks and equipment buy their fuel there and say it's the best. MI've never had a problem with gelling and if I run anything but the good stuff, the tractors smoke like crazy.

As for adding lube to the fuel, newer machines don't need it because they were designed for low sulfur fuel. I use Marvel's Mystery oil in the old b7100 to combat the low sulfur. I know....it's ATF fluid.... But at least it tells you exactly how much to add to the fuel. It's not expensive, and it been around for a very long time. I even run it in my vehicles when they get over 100k, haven't had a motor blow yet. My sequoia has 170k on it now and it runs like new. Had a problem with the oil pressure sending unit getting crudded up, ran MMO in the oil, 1000 mile later the sending unit workes fine. Any lubricant added to the fuel will not help combat oil gelling.
Deleted

/ Diesel Gelling - Never Would Have Expected It #65  
I got a surprise gelling last weekend as well, M5400DT.

I've had the tractor about a week. It was delivered on a Tuesday that was cold with a nasty wind blowing. On that day it's possible it came from a heated shop of the guy I bought it from. It was so cold I couldn't stay on it long to do much so I got it parked inside the pole building within about a half hour. No gelling issue.

Saturday it was about 17 degrees out. I picked up the white bottle of "Don't Gel" from advance auto parts and gave a nice swig to the tank (which was about 60% full) Tractor started nice, I let it run to warm up.

I ran it down the drive about 3 or 4 minutes each way to get tools out of the car back to the barn to work on getting the pickup started.

Spent about 45 minutes pushing snow, then Bam.. It went weak. I tried to limp it back inside the building but ended up about 75 feet short.

I parked the pickup strategically and used a 4 foot long piece of pvc to put the exhaust of the pickup directly on the fuel filter. After about a half hour I wasn't able to get it to start.

Second attempt, I have a set of work lights (those halogen ones that get a million degrees hot) so I ran cords out to the tractor, put one of the lights directly on the pump, the other on the filter. A couple hours later, I couldn't get it to go still.

It sat out over night, got snowed on a good inch or so. The next day I took down a bottle of the red "Already gelled up and screwed, try this" and a fresh 5 gallons of diesel out of the local pump.

Temp might have been slightly better, maybe in the low 20's. About 8 pathetic start/die cycles later it started to take, and then started to run.

I put it in the barn in case it was a short lived win. After it warmed up about 10 minutes I pushed a bit of snow before putting it away for a nicer day.

I have no idea what diesel (summer? bio?) the guy had in it when he sold it to me, no idea when the filters were changed, etc. I think I'll change the oil when the spring weather is good and the fuel filter in the late fall just before winter.

In the old days we ran a minneapolis moline in weather 30 below zero fairly often without problems. We had light diesel in the tank and some canvas curtains on the side of the motor to hold in the heat. Has anyone made anything to hold the heat in the motor for winter? I'll be inventing something this fall unless someone already has the solution.

/ Diesel Gelling - Never Would Have Expected It #66  
Wow, I've never heard of anyone having gel problems after treating with Power Service white bottle at the appropriate ratios??? Tell us the ratio you used?

/ Diesel Gelling - Never Would Have Expected It #67  
Wow, I've never heard of anyone having gel problems after treating with Power Service white bottle at the appropriate ratios??? Tell us the ratio you used?

I did.

Dead nuts on the label ratio too. Happened 2 times. Ive given up on PS as a result. Went to Howes, havent had a gelling issue yet knock on wood.

/ Diesel Gelling - Never Would Have Expected It #68  
I did.

Dead nuts on the label ratio too. Happened 2 times. Ive given up on PS as a result. Went to Howes, havent had a gelling issue yet knock on wood.
Good to hear on the Howes. Just bought a bottle on sale.

/ Diesel Gelling - Never Would Have Expected It #69  
Good to hear on the Howes. Just bought a bottle on sale.

Diesel Treat is good stuff. Go a little stronger than the strongest ratio (Below 0*C) and you should be good (Around 4-6oz/5gal).

/ Diesel Gelling - Never Would Have Expected It #70  
I still don't get this?? Is the diesel fuel that much different?? As I said earlier, my supplier told me to not use Howes. Never had a problem with PS. :confused3: