Diesel mixed with gas

/ Diesel mixed with gas #11  
Pipelines routinely send multiple fuels through a pipeline at once such as gasoline of multiple grades, heating oil, aviation fuel and diesel, seperated by plugs. Gasoline is normally clear, with the amber tint coming from small amounts of mixing with diesel or oil. Just saying, gasoline is not pure.

Last edited:
   / Diesel mixed with gas #12  
Diesel has a low octane rating.

Some 50’s tractors ran distillate fuel or tractor fuel with an octane of 35-45. They would start on gasoline and get good and hot and switch over to the distillate. Many times the carb had additional heat from the exhaust manifold to help vaporize it.

These engines had a 5:1 to 5.5:1 compression ratio. The same tractor with gasoline only had a 6:1 ratio for the 60 ish octane gasoline at the time. Many later converted the tractors with higher compression pistons or in case of the JD 2 cylinders a higher compression head.

It wasn’t till the early 60’s that they raised the compression ratios further for more power per cubic inch.

For example the AC 226 was the same basic engine from the 1953 WD45 with 6.45:1 till the1980 175 with 8.2:1. There were some camshaft on other minor differences as well

Many tractor pullers would bolt 175 parts into their wd45 boosting HP from 38 to 54 hp

The spark plugs and other components don’t care.

/ Diesel mixed with gas #13  
Mix it with more gas and use it in an old tractor. Won’t hurt a thing in an old low compression carbureted engine.

It is time to go out and buy a really old tractor.

I just bought an older John Deere BO Lindeman. I was puzzled a bit by what appeared to be two gas tanks. Not running yet, but I do read. :)

The things were considered multi-fuel.

Hand start them on gasoline. Then once warmed up, switch them over to kerosene. They can apparently run on 100% kerosene. No so happy with 100% diesel, but will take a diesel/gas mix.

Part of what Deere did, and Caterpillar also did something similar was to connect the exhaust and intake manifolds so that the kerosene was preheated to help with vaporization and volatility. I've also heard about preheating the fuel before getting to the carb.

/ Diesel mixed with gas #15  
Greetings,

Somone at my work accidently topped off one of the small engines with diesel. I would guess that about 1 gallon of diesel was added to the 7.5 gallon tank. The Diesel gas mixture was removed and the plugs and fuel filter was changed. Fresh fuel was added and the engine runs fine now. A fresh oil change is planned as well. All the machines at my work that are gas have "GAS" written on the caps and all the diesel machines have the fuel caps painted the same color as the pump handle.

So my question is what should be done with the gas diesel mixture?

Thanks
Sean
It makes a great fire starter for burn piles.

/ Diesel mixed with gas #16  
With that much gasoline a good way to burn yourself as well like my neighbor did when the vapor ignited . .

/ Diesel mixed with gas #17  
I had a tank with really old half varnish gasoline that I used as a fire starter. WHOOSH!!! I agree, be careful with burning gas.

/ Diesel mixed with gas #18  
Several have put diesel in gas cars…

None were worse for wear and all 1960’s or older…

Just needed to dilute the diesel enough to get the engine running again.

/ Diesel mixed with gas #19  
I wouldn’t throw that ratio of gas on a burn pile. Pouring half of the mix into a gasoline vehicle wouldn’t hurt anything. Or if you have waste oil disposal just pour it in that.

/ Diesel mixed with gas #20  
It won't hurt anything if you add it to your 300 gallon bulk tank.