Diesel pickup mileage

/ Diesel pickup mileage #41  
DPF=Diesel Particulate Filter. They are found on the late 2007 through 2010 Ford, GM, and Dodge diesel trucks. Dodge still uses it while Ford and GM went to urea injection.

DPF is simply a particulate trap. When it gets plugged the system injects diesel fuel and basically lights a fire to burn it out and clean things up. It was a MPG killer because it used as much as .6 gallons to run and could do so about every 300 miles or less.

Chris

Actually Ford and Chevy still use the DPF, they just have regeneration performed in a different way in the new trucks. I know on the 6.7 Powerstroke there is now a diesel injector in the exhaust stream to allow them to achieve that high temp burn that they need to clean out the DPF, as opposed to the previous way of just dumping extra amounts of diesel into each cylinder to achieve a higher burn. That method of regen was definitely the killer of MPG as you say. The other benefit of them putting the injector in the exhaust stream is that now the oil shouldn't get heavily diluted with diesel fuel.

/ Diesel pickup mileage #42  
I'm fairly anti gm.. have just had bad luck with them

like dodge and ford... never owned a full size import.. so no opinion there.

soudnguy

Then I guess you wouldn't find fault with a little GM bashing. I went anti dodge after having to work on one once.. lol It was an alternator or starter and you had to pull the engine to get it out. dumbest thing I ever saw.
My dad gets 9 mpg with his Ford van. But you must remember that its a 460 with a c6 and 4:11 gears. That is a recipe for low mileage and some good towing. My old chevy diesel van can get up to 25 because it has a 6.2 diesel with a 4L80E transmission and 3.08 gears. Thats a recipe for good mileage and lousy towing. I tow quite a few trucks with it so I should know. ;)

When looking at mileage you have to consider the transmission and rear end final ratio. Also the speed and conditions you are driving in make a big difference. I can make any vehicle get lousy mileage so using one persons personally stated lousy mileage to get a jab in at a manufacturer is kinda low and lousy.
I have heard good common sense comments in here and some from people that are just biased and or have no clue the formula for good mileage. I hope most readers and the original poster can see through it all to make good choices for their application.

/ Diesel pickup mileage #43  
Actually Ford and Chevy still use the DPF, they just have regeneration performed in a different way in the new trucks. I know on the 6.7 Powerstroke there is now a diesel injector in the exhaust stream to allow them to achieve that high temp burn that they need to clean out the DPF, as opposed to the previous way of just dumping extra amounts of diesel into each cylinder to achieve a higher burn. That method of regen was definitely the killer of MPG as you say. The other benefit of them putting the injector in the exhaust stream is that now the oil shouldn't get heavily diluted with diesel fuel.

Yes, you are right. I did not type what was in my head. They still have DPF on all the trucks, just that GM and Ford do not use diesel fuel to clean or burn them clean. They now use urea injection.

By the way I was just at my local Pilot gas station and they have urea for $3 per gallon. Not sure how long or how many tanks of fuel it last but the price is not bad. I also seen it at Auto Zone and my WalMart in the last few weeks.

Chris

/ Diesel pickup mileage #44  
I have a 2003 stock 7.3.

No way near 20mph, no flipping way near it....

/ Diesel pickup mileage #45  
I personally have a bad taste in my mouth over GM stemming from my yukon.. so bad that I hesitate to buy another gm product... every time I look at trucks or cars.. and I find a good deal and it happens to be a gm.. well.. it makes a huge difference in my decision..

and that's not brand bashing. I've had bad experiences with that machine.. and it gets good service and care... it's not even a lemon.. it's kind of more like a rotten perssimon with some flies on it and a few maggots.. ;)

now if you want to know how I really feel.. PM me and I won't hold back like I have been.. :)

soundguy

I find these kinds of stories really interesting. I know they are painful to some but it intrigues me how some people can buy a vehicle and stick 300k miles on with just basic maintenance and other people can buy the same year, make and model and have non-stop problems.
What is the difference? luck of the draw that a particular vehicle just happens to get a full lineup of defective parts? Built on a friday with sloppy workmanship? Or on a monday with everyone having hangovers? lol Every so often you hear these stories across all makes and models and have to wonder what the common denominator is. Sounds like a lemon law should apply to your Yukon,. Feel free to PM me with the details. I collect these lemon stories you might say. Hopefully someday ill be able to pull some statistics out of my collection. :)

/ Diesel pickup mileage #46  
ANTI GM? I spent 90K on two trucks I would have to say that was PRO-GM. Now for the facts which most brand loyal GMers hate to hear. Bran new the 2005 Durmax was an overheater ( look it up it's a know fact that 04, 05 Duramax's were overheaters ). When it was brought to the attention of GM corporate and teh local dealer they said "its' normal' REALLY NORMAL that a warning light comes on and says ENGINE HOT, not pulling anything and empty? REALLY that's normal according to the service manager.

I babied those GM's maybe that was the problem.

yeah.. you cant baby a GM. You have to work it hard and it either works or dies.:)
Now my question is why you let the dealer push you around.
Dealers stink no matter which make or model you are partial to.
Overheating at anytime within the limits of normal operation is not normal and to have a dealer tell you it is is to insult your intelligence. Make him prove it or get the truck replaced as a lemon plain and simple. No Judge is going to side with a dealer that says thats normal.
That being said I am curious as to what the problem was? low water flow? head gasket water passages too small? Thermostat restriction?
I am not real impressed with minimal engineering(all makes and models these days use minimal engineering) Usually a little mod and some can be fixed better then had it been done proper from the beginning. But a new truck should work and work well right out the door.
Next time you get a lemon park it outside the dealer with a sign on it that says, "This dealers says overheating is normal for this truck". See how long it takes them to start treating you right.

/ Diesel pickup mileage #47  
DPF=Diesel Particulate Filter. They are found on the late 2007 through 2010 Ford, GM, and Dodge diesel trucks. Dodge still uses it while Ford and GM went to urea injection.

DPF is simply a particulate trap. When it gets plugged the system injects diesel fuel and basically lights a fire to burn it out and clean things up. It was a MPG killer because it used as much as .6 gallons to run and could do so about every 300 miles or less.

Chris

oh ok.. the diesel exhaust fluid stuff.. I know what that is.. have seen it when i was researching ford trucks.

I did a double take when i first saw it.. reminded me of 'muffler bearings' at first.. till I read about it.

soundguy

/ Diesel pickup mileage #48  
Yes, you are right. I did not type what was in my head. They still have DPF on all the trucks, just that GM and Ford do not use diesel fuel to clean or burn them clean. They now use urea injection.

By the way I was just at my local Pilot gas station and they have urea for $3 per gallon. Not sure how long or how many tanks of fuel it last but the price is not bad. I also seen it at Auto Zone and my WalMart in the last few weeks.

Chris

at napa they have a chart on their urea.. says something like 1g of fluid per 50g of fuel is about how it works out.

soundguy

/ Diesel pickup mileage #49  
oh ok.. the diesel exhaust fluid stuff.. I know what that is.. have seen it when i was researching ford trucks.

I did a double take when i first saw it.. reminded me of 'muffler bearings' at first.. till I read about it.

soundguy

The first time I heard of a DPF is when I was reading about a Ford truck burning to the ground because of a faulty one. It was then when I realized I wasn't keeping up with the "times".

Think I have been working on my house for too long!

/ Diesel pickup mileage #50  
Then I guess you wouldn't find fault with a little GM bashing. I went anti dodge after having to work on one once.. lol It was an alternator or starter and you had to pull the engine to get it out. dumbest thing I ever saw.

don't get me wrong. while I'm fairly ainto GM.. I do realize that every make/model has it's faults and peculiarities.

I had to change out a starter on my ram 1500 and let me tell you.. I used every 4 letter word in the book, in 2 languages, and then started making up a few.. that top stud above the starter with the solenoid and hot wire int he way are sub optimal locations at best... plus the fact that you have to remove some sort of stabilizer or support bar to even get the thing out once you do manage to unbolt it... then it hangs by the cables so you have to remove the cables while you support hte starter with one hand and fumble with tools in the other... again.. sub optimal. ( though in general.. I LIKE dodge and Ford )

soundguy