Diesels - Dodge vs Chevy 2500 older models

/ Diesels - Dodge vs Chevy 2500 older models #11  
I have to take issue on some of what crash said. For the most he is right, except, (exept) the 48re trans. The trans is bullet proof alright,, but, next to useless in high hills,, Mississippi hasn't this problem. Down the road from me, Bigelow Hollow, is two miles straight down then up again, something like 25% or more,, It is equivelent to the first hill on a roller coaster or even steeper.. I had an 05 with 48re and 410 posi's, and really, really struggled to pull through this , I now have an 07, 6.7 with the new 6sp auto and 410 posi rears and the difference is day and night and immediate too, compared to the 48re.. I tried a new 5 spd Dodge same hill, and went with the 6spd.

/ Diesels - Dodge vs Chevy 2500 older models #12  
For trucks in the under $20,000 area, I would think that dodge with the older 5.9 and an manual trans would be the best.

I drive an 03 chevy with duramax / allison and have had no problems. But, the LB7 engine has the injectors under the rocker arm covers and it's a bear to change them. The 04.5 chevy engine LLY moved the injectors so you can change them easily. But, I think the price may be out of the budget you set.

Then again, right now with $5 diesel they are going cheap. If you had a toyota prius, you could probably swap straight up for a diesel truck with low miles! Heck, you might even get money back!

Let's hear it for the politicians that say we can't drill our way out of high fuel prices, but we can tax our way out! (Idiots)

jb

/ Diesels - Dodge vs Chevy 2500 older models #13  
LarryRB said:
I have to take issue on some of what crash said. For the most he is right, except, (exept) the 48re trans. The trans is bullet proof alright,, but, next to useless in high hills,, Mississippi hasn't this problem. Down the road from me, Bigelow Hollow, is two miles straight down then up again, something like 25% or more,, It is equivelent to the first hill on a roller coaster or even steeper.. I had an 05 with 48re and 410 posi's, and really, really struggled to pull through this , I now have an 07, 6.7 with the new 6sp auto and 410 posi rears and the difference is day and night and immediate too, compared to the 48re.. I tried a new 5 spd Dodge same hill, and went with the 6spd.
Couldn't agree more. The newer GM/Duramax's are great trucks too, but a 6 speed 6.7 Cummins or a newer Duramax can be mighty $$$. Also that fuel mileage enjoyed by Dodge 5.9 owners is not possible with the 6.7 and at close to 5 bucks a gallon, it's certainly an item worth considering.

/ Diesels - Dodge vs Chevy 2500 older models #14  
I have a 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 with the Cummins. The engine is wonderful! The rest of the truck is pretty good, though not quite wonderful.

We have driven the truck in the mountains of NC, VA and WV, including down Black Mountain in the Asheville area, all while towing a 5000lb gooseneck horse trailer, and half the time with a 1200lb horse in the trailer, and it handled all that very, very easily. You hear the turbo whistle a bit more, but no straining at all. We also got over 14mpg doing this towing, with most of it at 70mph.

Since then we've replaced all fluids with synthetic - Amsoil brand for everything but the engine oil, which is Shell Rotella-T - and it feels like it has gained 50hp. I realize it probably hasn't, but the acceleration now is very, very strong. There are no mods to the engine.

I haven't owned the Ford or Chevy so can't compare. I do think more than 4 gears would be nice, but the Cummins engine works great too.

/ Diesels - Dodge vs Chevy 2500 older models #15  
Crash101 said:
michelle.
If I were looking for a diesel powered truck today, I'd look for a 2005 or 2006 Dodge/Cummins.5.9 The fuel (lift) pump is located at the tank were it gives no problems (not sure if 04's are or not). The automatic transmission is the bullet proof 48RE (albiet only 4 speeds), the engine produces over 600 pound/feet of torque and you can count on around 20 mpg average when empty. The truck itself is the newest generation and in my opinion is much nicer than older models, and should last far longer than you may wish to keep it. No one wants diesel trucks (their mistake) today and an 05 could probably be purchased for a good price. I don't think, neither do I believe I could be convinced, that there is a more dependable truck out there. You have many choices from other brands, you just don't have a better choice
Are these newer Dodge/Cummins still mechancal FI or electronic control? Iv been thinking you cant use the performance chips because I heard they were all mechanical. We have an '06 w 410gearing. It pulls like a locomotive but fuel use could be better.
larry

/ Diesels - Dodge vs Chevy 2500 older models #16  
Are these newer Dodge/Cummins still mechancal FI or electronic control?
My Dodge is a 98.5 24v. it has electronically controlled fuel injection. It uses the Bosch VP44 injector pump. I had to replace it after 215K miles. I've replaced a couple of lift pumps along the way. (maintaining good fuel supply is the key to the life of any injector pump.) After replacing the injector pump I had no fuel so replaced the lift pump...still no fuel...hmmm....found the lines at the tank kinked. It's a plastic transition from the steel lines to the tank... I'm kinda of wondering if this wasn't the whole problem. Anyway, I have 235K miles on it. Get about 20mpg normal driving & 13-14 pulling. This era of cummins is a strong engine, pulls hard.

/ Diesels - Dodge vs Chevy 2500 older models #17  
2005 Dodge Ram here! Cummins diesel of course... Not a problem so far.

/ Diesels - Dodge vs Chevy 2500 older models
Good Evening,
Thank you all, keep the dialogue coming,
Listening to Michael Buble in the backdrop while I write you all,

When I bought my 93 chevrolet 2500 in 96, I was looking at new Dodge Diesel 2500s with the manual transmission. My honey and I could not agree to spend the money. Look how far ahead I would have been if I would have bought one. The posts are overwhelmingly Dodge. I have extreme respect for both products -Dodge and Chevy. My 19 year old son (my advisor) has a Dodge 6cyl 1500 truck and he asks me why not Dodge?

I need to look harder at the older Dodges. The thought of spending in the low to med 20s on a Chevy Duramax is just not grabbing me. A new Dodge or Chevy also does not excite me. I have too many needs, not wants. I should have had a gooseneck trailer way back.

So my friends we do alot of growing up as we get older, and hopefully get wiser. It looks like some of you validated my mechanic's comments on the fuel and injectors on the older Dodge Diesels. Sounds like the best I can do is to get a lower mileage 96 or 97 Dodge with a manual - what I almost bought. I will admit my needs have grown, as has my farm operations. My old thinking was not as forward as it should have been.

Keep the posts coming. I just wanted to thank you all for the sharing you have with me and others.

Michelle

/ Diesels - Dodge vs Chevy 2500 older models #19  
michellesc7 said:
Good Evening,
Thank you all, keep the dialogue coming,
Listening to Michael Buble in the backdrop while I write you all,

When I bought my 93 chevrolet 2500 in 96, I was looking at new Dodge Diesel 2500s with the manual transmission. My honey and I could not agree to spend the money. Look how far ahead I would have been if I would have bought one. The posts are overwhelmingly Dodge. I have extreme respect for both products -Dodge and Chevy. My 19 year old son (my advisor) has a Dodge 6cyl 1500 truck and he asks me why not Dodge?

I need to look harder at the older Dodges. The thought of spending in the low to med 20s on a Chevy Duramax is just not grabbing me. A new Dodge or Chevy also does not excite me. I have too many needs, not wants. I should have had a gooseneck trailer way back.

So my friends we do alot of growing up as we get older, and hopefully get wiser. It looks like some of you validated my mechanic's comments on the fuel and injectors on the older Dodge Diesels. Sounds like the best I can do is to get a lower mileage 96 or 97 Dodge with a manual - what I almost bought. I will admit my needs have grown, as has my farm operations. My old thinking was not as forward as it should have been.

Keep the posts coming. I just wanted to thank you all for the sharing you have with me and others.

Michelle
I understand the budgetary concerns. I have known people that had the older dodges and they did ok from what they say. I think it might not be long until the newer trucks are selling cheaper because of the cost of diesel fuel. For my opinion one of the best things out there is the 2006 duramax. It does not have the new Exhaust Emission controls. It has all the goodys that chevrolet did to make the duramax better. They have variable vane turbos. Increased fuel pump pressure. Redesigned the glow plugs for better cold weather starting ( I assume they mean somewhere like montana or alaska. I have never used my glow plugs) The 2006 had the 6 speed allyson transmission and I think that is as good or better than the one anyone else has in their pickups. I have the 2006 and I get around 19 or 20 depending on how heavy my foot gets.

/ Diesels - Dodge vs Chevy 2500 older models
gemini5362 said:
I understand the budgetary concerns. I have known people that had the older dodges and they did ok from what they say. I think it might not be long until the newer trucks are selling cheaper because of the cost of diesel fuel. For my opinion one of the best things out there is the 2006 duramax. It does not have the new Exhaust Emission controls. It has all the goodys that chevrolet did to make the duramax better. They have variable vane turbos. Increased fuel pump pressure. Redesigned the glow plugs for better cold weather starting ( I assume they mean somewhere like montana or alaska. I have never used my glow plugs) The 2006 had the 6 speed allyson transmission and I think that is as good or better than the one anyone else has in their pickups. I have the 2006 and I get around 19 or 20 depending on how heavy my foot gets.

I looked at two 2005 Chevy's last week. I figured out about the 6 speed came out in the 2006 models. Thanks for the tip. I was wondering what the difference would be. Yes I agree with you that is the optimum Chevy Truck for the money. When I get in the mid to upper 20s in price, I think new ones. I prices a 2008 for about $35 K with discounts. Probably could do $3K better than that - so you see my point. But unless you pay cash or have alot of money down that is a $600 -$700 truck payment versus half of that or less with an older truck. To compare I have a paid off 93 chevy gas engine - no payments. If I could get a few over 20 mpg on the road without a big load with an older Dodge with a manual whew hew. I might even sell my 26 mpg Suburu and keep both trucks running. But that would be a male thing to do.

I am a Chevy person so I agree with you on best newer value.

Thanks, Michelle