Diesels - Dodge vs Chevy 2500 older models

/ Diesels - Dodge vs Chevy 2500 older models #41  
gemini5362 said:
guys I dont know the difference now but from what I saw when I was looking there was not that much difference in towing capability between the 3/4 ton duramax and the 1 ton. I looked at a 1 ton pretty close once and I saw more leafs to the spring and it was dual wheels but that is basically the only difference I saw. As far as I know the engine, the transmission and the rear end are the same thing.

There's little difference in towing capacity, but there's noticeable difference in the all important, but always overlooked PIN weight. The 1 ton SRW & 1-ton daully can handle a lot more PIN weight than their 2500 series 3/4-ton counterpart. Very important when 5th wheeling or bumper pulling a heavy trailer to have extra capacity over the rear axle.

/ Diesels - Dodge vs Chevy 2500 older models #42  
AKfish said:
'03 Chevy Dmax with just over 90K. Not a hiccup. Three trips towin' up the ALCan hwy with loads rangin' from 6K to just over 13K.

Stock truck. Best mpg was 23.7 unloaded and towin' 6K avg. 14mpg and the 13K load averaged 10mpg up thru the Frazier River canyon (now, there's some serious switchbacks and grades...).

Can't beat that Allison tranny and the DuraMax has been a great stump puller, too.

I've got a '01 Ford E350 with the 7.3 PS engine, too. It's been a really solid truck as well. It won't keep up in a foot race with the Chevy -- but, it just might pull up bigger stumps... if you really had to grind one out!

If I was lookin' for a good used diesel truck and wasn't set real hard on a price limit --- I'd want a '06 Dmax with that shiftable 6-speed Allison.

My $0.02.

AKfish

I have that feature in my '07 and it's great. You can manually control your transmission with this ingenious little toggle pad switch and have full control over the tranny.

Regarding the stumps: I'd much rather pull stumps with a GM equipped allison and an 11.5" full locker rear over a Ford Torqshift and a 10.5" limited slip rear!! :D Those limited slip rears suck. I owned about 10 Fords with 10.5" limited slip rears and none worked well when new and all were no longer able to lock after 50,000 miles.

Also, look at the reverse and 1st gear ratios in the Allison transmission compared to the Ford transmission and you'll see why you'd rather pull stumps with a GM!:D

Then compare how the DMAX makes full torque at lower RPM than the 6.4L Ford and it's the icing on the cake! :)

/ Diesels - Dodge vs Chevy 2500 older models #43  
Gemini -- bring your coat... it's been pretty cool up here this season. (Another el ninya~ year, I guess.) The whole pacific northwest has been unusually cool and crops, etc. are way behind normal.

Dry though; very little rain in this part of the state. High yesterday was around 48F here in Kasilof. I'm about 85 miles south of Seward. Been able to save money on sunscreen this year...

The train trip north to "Bareflanks" is a lot of fun. Haven't done the inside passage but have sailed from Seward to Cordova a couple of times and it was a kick in the pants! So, the trip down to Seattle sounds like it would be a great time, too.

Send me a PM if you'd like -- if any questions, etc.

AKfish

/ Diesels - Dodge vs Chevy 2500 older models #44  
Well, Builder -- there's no denying that you do your homework! If I ever need specific details about equipment before I buy; your email will be at the top of my list!!! :D :D

AKfish

/ Diesels - Dodge vs Chevy 2500 older models #45  
AKfish said:
Gemini -- bring your coat... it's been pretty cool up here this season. (Another el ninya~ year, I guess.) The whole pacific northwest has been unusually cool and crops, etc. are way behind normal.

Dry though; very little rain in this part of the state. High yesterday was around 48F here in Kasilof. I'm about 85 miles south of Seward. Been able to save money on sunscreen this year...

The train trip north to "Bareflanks" is a lot of fun. Haven't done the inside passage but have sailed from Seward to Cordova a couple of times and it was a kick in the pants! So, the trip down to Seattle sounds like it would be a great time, too.

Send me a PM if you'd like -- if any questions, etc.

AKfish
Thank you
I am planning on bringing a coat and maybe even gloves :)

/ Diesels - Dodge vs Chevy 2500 older models #46  
The 2008 Silverado / Sierra is available as 3500-SRW (Single rear Wheel) and 3500-DRW (Dual Rear Wheel) as Regular, Extended and Crew Cab. Trailer capacity seems to be about 1,200 - 1,300 lbs more with the DRW

/ Diesels - Dodge vs Chevy 2500 older models #47  
AKfish said:
Well, Builder -- there's no denying that you do your homework! If I ever need specific details about equipment before I buy; your email will be at the top of my list!!! :D :D

AKfish

Why thank you! My consultation fees are very reasonable, too! ;) :D