Diesels - Dodge vs Chevy 2500 older models

/ Diesels - Dodge vs Chevy 2500 older models #21  
Actually, 3/4 ton trucks and diesels in particular are stacking up like cord wood before a hard winter. Drive around and take a look then low ball the heck out of it. You might get surprised.

I have 73k on an 03 and it runs sweet. For the GM's don't get older than an 03. An 04 to 04.5 is better as there is a free injector replacement deal on them for 7 years 200k miles. Better is an 04.5+ with the LLY engine that has the externally accessable injectors.

I would almost bet that you may be able to walk off with a diesel truck cheaper than you think. Around here the dealer lots are chock a block full of trucks and SUV's and not a soul is looking at them. Good time to buy --> if you NEED one. Nasty time to sell if you only wanted one before!

jb

On edit - I've averaged 17.803 mpg since new with about 25k towing. Empty it gets 20-22. Best ever was 22.37. But I drive like a grey haired granny most of the time. Towing is 10-14 depending on load, wind, speed and temps. I normally tow just under 10k.

/ Diesels - Dodge vs Chevy 2500 older models #22  
I just bought a 98.5 24valve Dodge 2500 4x4 5 speed as an RV hauler as we bought a 30' travel trailer. It needed a new lift pump, and I added an aftermarket steering brace. I concur: poopy lift pumps, wandering steering, keep it above 1600rpm in 5th and no issues. But the Cummins engine is king. The 5 speed is fine. It has a big gap between 3rd and 4th, so the 6 speed is nicer, but just shift a little higher in 3rd and again, no issues.

After researching old diesels (didn't want to spend lots after buying the trailer) my decision was the Cummins engine. The Dodge that comes with it has some piddly problems, but nothing catastrophic. I loved the 3rd generation Dodges (2003 and up) but didn't want to spend the money.

/ Diesels - Dodge vs Chevy 2500 older models #23  
Crash101 said:
Couldn't agree more. The newer GM/Duramax's are great trucks too, but a 6 speed 6.7 Cummins or a newer Duramax can be mighty $$$. Also that fuel mileage enjoyed by Dodge 5.9 owners is not possible with the 6.7 and at close to 5 bucks a gallon, it's certainly an item worth considering.

The loss in fuel mileage is there, although not like some think it is, depending on what road I am and if towing or not, the avg loss for a 6.7 is a mile per gallon,, Not like some think and it is 10 MPG or something> The biggest loss I found with this new truck is in wind,,, This one, the wind seems to have more impact than anything else,., The other thing is people are scaring themselves over the regen DPF system,, Nothing to even think about,, I listened to some guys at the local truck stop talking over pick up regens, and their projected idea of how regens work, is out of this world and yes, I told them so.. It's just no big deal and as simple as this,,

/ Diesels - Dodge vs Chevy 2500 older models #24  
I have a 2005 Dodge Quad 6 speed with the Cummins and I have been pleased with it. Empty I get 20-22 MPG if I stay under 60 MPH. Mileage drops off rapidly if I go over that. Towing I get 18 on average pulling my 6'6" tall v nose trailer and I got 14 average pulling a 9,000 # travel trailer.
I have had 0 issues aver 32,000 miles so far with the truck or motor.

/ Diesels - Dodge vs Chevy 2500 older models #25  
A local mega dealer (Ford, Chrysler, Dodge, Chevy, Toyota, Subaru) has 42 used diesel pickups on the lot, I've never seen more than 5-6 there in the past. Yes, I actually counted the trucks.

/ Diesels - Dodge vs Chevy 2500 older models #26  
michellesc7 said:
I looked at two 2005 Chevy's last week. I figured out about the 6 speed came out in the 2006 models. Thanks for the tip. I was wondering what the difference would be. Yes I agree with you that is the optimum Chevy Truck for the money. When I get in the mid to upper 20s in price, I think new ones. I prices a 2008 for about $35 K with discounts. Probably could do $3K better than that - so you see my point. But unless you pay cash or have alot of money down that is a $600 -$700 truck payment versus half of that or less with an older truck. To compare I have a paid off 93 chevy gas engine - no payments. If I could get a few over 20 mpg on the road without a big load with an older Dodge with a manual whew hew. I might even sell my 26 mpg Suburu and keep both trucks running. But that would be a male thing to do.

I am a Chevy person so I agree with you on best newer value.

Thanks, Michelle

They are pretty pricey. I will be the first to admit to that. If you watch for a while I think you will see them stop selling as well and the price come down I also think that you will see some zero percent financing also. That makes a huge difference. I bought a 2005 duramax and the price went from 48000 sticker to 38000 with low interest financing. When the 2006 came out I looked at the difference between them. The 5 speed at 1800 rpm (about the optimum engine speed for fuel mileage) was hitting 60mph the 6 speed at 1800 rpm was doing 70 mph. Since I drive mostly highway speeds that is a big difference in fuel mileage. I also did not like the mirrors on my 2005 they were useless for towing. When the zero percen interest came out on the 2006 trucks I went to my chevy dealer. I took a beating on trading that fast but when all was said and done my payment went down by 2.38 cents a month. You might look at the difference between an older truck with 7 or 8 per cent financing and a new one with zero when that comes back out. Compare the monthly payment then.

/ Diesels - Dodge vs Chevy 2500 older models #27  
I have a 2004 dodge 2500 3/4 ton 5.9 cummins diesel 4X4 and love it.I get around 18-19 mpg city/highway driving,hand cal.I have added a Goerend brothers(st,lucas Iowa) tranny upgrade,torque converter,valve body and some other do-dads.I have installed a FASS 150gph fuel system to get rid of the orginal lift pump.I also added a AFE stage 2 air intake and 4 inch MBRP exhaust,and the list goes on,HE HE !!Anyway this has been the most dependable pickup I have ever owned.coobie

/ Diesels - Dodge vs Chevy 2500 older models #28  
I have an '01 Ram-2500 CTD. It has been a great truck. At first, as I switched from a Ford F250 gasser, I wondered if I was getting a great engine with a mediocre truck wrapped around it. No. It has been a great truck!

I got mine with the 4:10 gears. It is a stump puller! but, the 4:10 gears also hit the fuel mileage.

I have pulled 8000lbs no problem. Pulled 10k once; loaded trailer and loaded bed. It did it fine.

I am at 111,000 miles, no major work besides front brakes(replaced rotors and pads; went aftermarket slotted rotors).

If I were to do it again, I personally would move to a manual tranny, and get 3:73 gears. My Auto has been fine, just would prefer to go back to a stick. 3:73 gears would be a better compromise between fuel mileage, and pulling ability.

It is paid for, and I bought it for a 300,000 mile investment. Might swap to 3:73's if I get some spare cash someday...

/ Diesels - Dodge vs Chevy 2500 older models #29  
I still dont understand why all you guys buy 3/4 tons. Get a 1 ton single rear wheel. I made this mistake myself when I bought a new 2004 F-250 4x4 PSD. I had to trade two years later after buying a bigger boat. The F-350 is a world of difference, only about $500 more, and just a little rougher ride.

Chris

/ Diesels - Dodge vs Chevy 2500 older models #30  
Because I had two 3/4 tons before this one, that all met and exceeded my needs.

Diamondpilot said:
I still dont understand why all you guys buy 3/4 tons. Get a 1 ton single rear wheel. I made this mistake myself when I bought a new 2004 F-250 4x4 PSD. I had to trade two years later after buying a bigger boat. The F-350 is a world of difference, only about $500 more, and just a little rougher ride.

Chris