Disappointed with new truck tires

/ Disappointed with new truck tires #11  
There are good Michelins and there are ones that aren't as good. It's important to include which model of tire as opposed to condeming the entire manufactuer. The Michelin LTX M/S will easily get 40,000 on your Dodge. If it does not, it's your Dodge, not the tire. You will not get find any manufactuer resolving bad tire practices like improper inflation, overloading, lack of rotation (best done every 5000 miles) aligment issues. Michelin makes a tire that is perhaps more "bullet proof" then any tire made for a truck. The sizes are very limited, but for overall construction, you won't find a better built tire then the XPS traction or Rib.

/ Disappointed with new truck tires #12  
Check all the pressures.

My 3/4 ton with"E" rated tires runs 80lb in the back, 65 in the front per spec. Works great.

However, I have had them rotated at the shop before; they did just that, and only that. So I had 80lbs in the front and 65lbs in the back. Drove terrible! I adjusted the air, and it was great. Also had one time when they put 80lbs in all the tires. Yuck!

It is possible the tire says max pressure which may be more than the recomended pressure. As someone else noted, that can mess with things. My old CJ5 only wieghed 2300lbs. If the tires were filled to 35lb like the sidewall said, it would jar you out of the seat just driving over a matchstick! It was also really squirrely. I ran 18-22lbs depending on the tire...

/ Disappointed with new truck tires #13  
both tires were the LTX/MS and I still say they cannot hold up weights and last too... I highly doubt it's the truck either,, My Dakota before, couldn't hit 30K out of the Michelins either... When I sold that Dakota to my neighbor, he changed out for Goodyears and is still running them, including plowing snow with the truck.. I can call and find out, but I know he is close if not over 50K on those.. I find the side walls of the LTX Michelins to soft and therefore they wear prematurely.. Granted I have a diesel with 6 speed tranny, but still, I say the LTX Michelins do not work on heavier pick ups..,.

/ Disappointed with new truck tires #15  
You may well be the exception. My neighbor had the Dodge 2500, a 2000 with a Cummins and extended cab. I almost bought it from him when he last month purchased a new model with 4 doors. The tires are the originals, perfect wear and 87,000 miles. Granted they are on their last legs, but thats not bad. He mentions when the new trucks tires go, thats what he is getting. A tires weight carrying ability has far more to do with the PSI then the thickness of the tires sidewalls. The sidewalls as was explained in a great article in Invention and Technology are like a suspension bridge. The greater the PSI, the greater the strength required in the sidewall. (Take a look at the Michelin XPS sidewalls, thicker then most tires but the weight ability is still the same) If you don't have 80 PSI tires, your to light. Take a look at the comments at TireRack.com. The comments are overwhemingly positive. That in itself doesn't mean much except it gives a general idea how other folks perceive this tire. What matters more is whether after the tire is worn out, they would buy the same tire again. Most are contrary to your experience. But nonetheless, your experience does count and maybe others are having the same opinion.

/ Disappointed with new truck tires
Ron - yes the wheels are aluminum, but the old tires drove and rode fine and did not vibrate. And, I can't see any damage that might have been done during installation.

Attached is a picture of the right rear tire, the one with excessive weights.

Well, I'll try again with the picture.

Attachments

• 565993-Tires 001.jpg
    565993-Tires 001.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 156
Here is a closeup of the weights.

Attachments

• 565994-Tires 002.jpg
    565994-Tires 002.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 129
Tire pressure recommmendations per the driver's side door: Fronts 30 lbs, Rear 35 lbs. I checked the pressures - LF 35, RF 36, LR 35, RR 33. I adjusted the fronts to 30 and the rears to 35. We'll see what this does when I can get on the highway. Funny, the fronts look a little low to me, with only 30 lbs in them.

/ Disappointed with new truck tires #20  
Total of the weights is 2.75 OZ which should be OK. When you get past 3 OZs the tire may have a problem.

If you are getting vibration then they did not balance them correctly.

If the problem is something other than vibration the weights have nothing to do with it.

Bill Tolle