Disappointed with new truck tires

/ Disappointed with new truck tires
Thanks, Bill. You think I should not ask for them to turn the tire on the rim? I have never seen that much weight on a tire before.

There is really no discernable vibration, its mostly noise, squirrellyness, and harshness of ride.

The sames tires on the Yukon drive and ride beautifully and are very quiet. Of course the Yukon XL is a lot heavier and is 4WD, and its tires are a little bigger (275/70 vs 255/70).

I hope these pressure adjustments help, as I hate having to go back to the tire store and wait around.

/ Disappointed with new truck tires #22  
As has already been stated 2 3/4 ounces is not bad. Check and see how much weight is on the rear side of wheel. Note the location in relation to the curb side weights. If there is a large weight on the vehicle side of wheel it could indicate a problem.
Unless you have a load in the rear I would run 30 psi in the rears and 35 in the fronts. Check inside the drivers door frame. You should see a tag that has the recommended tire pressures for front and rear tires.
I could get into a lot of things that can cause your problems. But it requires a lot of test equipment and dismounting and mounting of the tire and wheel assemblies.
I would take the truck back to Discount Tire and ask them to check the tires and wheels. They have made their reputations around this area providing good customer service.

/ Disappointed with new truck tires
I can't see any weights on the inside rim of the wheel. The sticker on the door says to put 30 lbs in the front and 35 lbs in the rear tires. I adjusted the tires to this, a they were all 33-36.

/ Disappointed with new truck tires #24  
I don't much like that they put hammer on weights on the outside of your aluminum wheel! /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif They can balance them on the inside or use tape-a-weights in the inside center of the rim. Check your wheel nut torque, they might have left one loose. I've been told by a Discount Tire employee that all Discount sells is blems but I can't guarantee that. I do know that the last time I searched the ads for tires I noticed that every tire in their ads had "blem" in small print.

/ Disappointed with new truck tires #25  
I would run 32 in the fronts and 30 in the rear. Empty pickups don't require as much air in the rear. I run 32 on all fours on my S-10 Blazer.

/ Disappointed with new truck tires #27  
I had an '87 Bronco followed by a '97 F150. On both, I replaced the original Goodyear Wranglers (after they wore out) with Michelin. The F150 was LTX MX. Don't remember for sure on the Bronco. In both cases, the Michelin was quieter and smoother than the Wranglers. And they would go about 65,000 before needing replaced. They did feel a little different when first put on, but not what I would call squirrelly. I bought the last couple of sets from Discount also.

/ Disappointed with new truck tires #28  
Alan , I agree with the rotate the tire on the rim idea, sometimes the rim is a little out of balance and so is the tire and when they get mounted the two heavy spots end up being together causing it to be way out, sometimes breaking it down and spinning it 180 degrees helps a lot.

I have michelins XCLT4 on my GMC 4wd ,and I have been more than pleased ride good handle ,great in snow and they still have at least 70% left after close to 50k miles... I think the right tire for the right application may have a lot to do with customer satisfaction, Not saying you got the wrong model tire but some folks just want tires and don't take into consideration how they will be using the vehicle that the tires are going on and the sales people may just be selling tires and don't ask questions to help in that decision /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

You may have also gotten blems ?? I wouldn't like that very much especially if I wasn't told that up front /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

/ Disappointed with new truck tires #29  
All the talk about blems has me curious. I thought blems were simply those with cosmetic blemishes, not anything to do with performance defects. For fear of liability issues, I don't think any reputable company or dealer would sell anything with a performance defect.

/ Disappointed with new truck tires #30  
Blems can be for many reasons, including failure to meet OEM (Original Equipment Manufacture) specs. OEM (auto assembly plants) have specs that they require tire manufactures to meet. These specs are set to allow production assembly lines to run without getting any tire and wheel assemblies that cannot be balanced or roll tested to within machine test limits.
When buying a replacement set of tires for a vehicle, try to find a tire that is not used for OEM.