DIY counter weight

/ DIY counter weight #1  

Jimc295

Bronze Member
Tractor
Massey GC1705, Kubota B7100
I finally finished my fence project so I could work on this Thanks to DL Meisen and his write up I copied that somewhat but had to use wood since I don't have a welder. according to the calculator I found on line it works out to 4.3 cu feet. will take 9.54 60lb bags and should weight 572 lbs. I am no carpenter so this took me way too long to do because I just winged it as I went along. I'll mix up the concrete tomorrow and see how close the calculator is.

Attachments

• 1-IMG_2811 (1).jpg
    1-IMG_2811 (1).jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 396
  • 1-IMG_2810 (1).jpg
    1-IMG_2810 (1).jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 367
  • 1-IMG_2812 (1).jpg
    1-IMG_2812 (1).jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 338
   / DIY counter weight #2  
You should probably do a dry run on your 3 point hitch to insure that the center link will not hit the top of the concrete when you lift the counter weight. I built a similar box for my GC 2610 and had to chip away some of the concrete so the center arm would clear when raised. It is easy to bend the center arm if there is no clearance.

Jim R.

/ DIY counter weight #3  
Second the check for top link clearance.

Also, Square corners can be sharp! Tack in some cove moulding to round things out.

Also, Form seams need to be pretty tight to keep the water from squeezing through. Dry concrete is weak concrete.

Don't under estimate the hydraulic pressure of wet concrete. Wrap the forms with strong backs really well! Especially at the bottom of the form. What holds the bottom on?

/ DIY counter weight
Use calk to seal seam from inside, it's what I did with my steel box as I only stitch welded together.....

Dale

:thumbsup:

Since the pins for the 3pt will be encased in the concrete I used red loctite to thread them in also. I didn't think my top link would bind but Ill double check that. I don't plan on lifting that weight very high because these things are kinda trop heavy and tippy already. I put the pins at 12 inches after I measured the lowest point the arms would go so I can sit it on the ground and still back up to it to pick it up.

Last edited:
   / DIY counter weight #6  
Can not wait to see what it looks like when you peal the wood off.

/ DIY counter weight #7  
I finally finished my fence project so I could work on this Thanks to DL Meisen and his write up I copied that somewhat but had to use wood since I don't have a welder. according to the calculator I found on line it works out to 4.3 cu feet. will take 9.54 60lb bags and should weight 572 lbs. I am no carpenter so this took me way too long to do because I just winged it as I went along. I'll mix up the concrete tomorrow and see how close the calculator is.

If you haven't poured already, per post #3: put a piece of moulding inside each corner to give a rounded concrete corner.

/ DIY counter weight #8  

Since the pins for the 3pt will be encased in the concrete I used red loctite to thread them in also. I didn't think my top link would bind but Ill double check that. I don't plan on lifting that weight very high because these things are kinda trop heavy and tippy already. I put the pins at 12 inches after I measured the lowest point the arms would go so I can sit it on the ground and still back up to it to pick it up.

The idea that you don't PLAN to carry the weight high has nothing to do with the fact that eventually, the weight will be on and the 3pt will be raised to it's upper limit. It is just going to happen. No sense bending the top link because of poor design.

/ DIY counter weight #9  
The idea that you don't PLAN to carry the weight high has nothing to do with the fact that eventually, the weight will be on and the 3pt will be raised to it's upper limit. It is just going to happen. No sense bending the top link because of poor design.

That is why my top link is on side of box and not on top....

Dale

Attachments

• Ballast box.jpg
    Ballast box.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 332
   / DIY counter weight