DK 45 or DK 55?????

/ DK 45 or DK 55????? #21  
We will have to see, I would really love to work with Rick, but its all about who has the best deal!!!!
When I looked for a new Kioti, I talked to most every dealer in New England, nobody could/would touch Ricks price. I ended up finding a used machine for a price I couldn't say no to. As I get older, I find that service after the sale is more important to me than the initial deal. That is something you need to decide for yourself, is your local dealer somebody you can work with? Or is the ability to call the dealer on a Sunday for service/repair info important to you. Good luck with your new big orange toy.. er machine.

/ DK 45 or DK 55????? #22  
The DK45S is a great machine, it will do fine in the role you have planned for it. I bought mine in the fall of '07 and have been very happy with it ever since. Would I buy another if I had it all to do over again.............YES, without a doubt!. (That should speak volumes.) Good luck.

/ DK 45 or DK 55????? #23  
I'm now in the third winter with my DK45SC. The cab is great (nearly essential) for winter work and nice for field work in the summer. I find it nerve-wracking to head into the woods with the cab, but so far I have managed to avoid bashing anything into it (well, not hard enough to break anything, anyway).
This unit is just about right for my uses, but marginally powered for serious work (whether snowblowing, mowing or whatever). It will do these jobs, but slower than a bigger unit would. I wish I had a big snow bucket; the 451 standard bucket is too small for moving snowbanks that the blower won't bite into.
I especially appreciate the way it has always started for me, even in the coldest weather.
BOB

The 45, as Bob has mentioned, is not a big tractor at 38 pto hp. I also agree about the bucket, would be nice if it was bigger. The 45 is a very useful tractor. I use mine for plowing snow, moving stone, picking up brush with the grapple, splitting wood, mowing, planting sweet corn, running a cultipacker, etc. I would not get one without a cab unless I spent a lot of time in the woods.

Attachments

• Brush Cleanup 1.jpg
    Brush Cleanup 1.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 169
   / DK 45 or DK 55????? #24  
my ..00001 cents worth. Having had the skidsteer at my place and the 45 hst, the skid steer had more lift and a bigger bucket, but my tractor was faster on the long hauls. I know this isn't your issue, as you have access to other equipment, but for me it was dissapointing that the tractor couldn't lift some things or move some things. The 55 handles larger attachments and has alot more lift capacity.

As far as road maintenance, I don't see any issues for a 45, just may take a little longer than the big equipment. I don't have a cab, and I really wish I did when the deep freeze was in my area. no fun clearing drifts in negative temperatures. All in all, I really do like the machine alot. It does amaze people from time to time what it can do.

Some of the other posters did point out an issue with the 45 if your going to use it around the house, it is quite heavy for it's size. With loaded rears, loader, and a 6' box blade, the thing comes in around high 6k-7k. something to chew on. Additionally, for your purposes, you may want to really consider the tires you choose. My industrials will leave ruts in the field if it is even remotely wet out in the spring and fall. Winter the ground is frozen, and summer it gets hard from the heat. Just something to consider.

Good luck with your pick.

/ DK 45 or DK 55?????
my ..00001 cents worth. Having had the skidsteer at my place and the 45 hst, the skid steer had more lift and a bigger bucket, but my tractor was faster on the long hauls. I know this isn't your issue, as you have access to other equipment, but for me it was dissapointing that the tractor couldn't lift some things or move some things. The 55 handles larger attachments and has alot more lift capacity.

As far as road maintenance, I don't see any issues for a 45, just may take a little longer than the big equipment. I don't have a cab, and I really wish I did when the deep freeze was in my area. no fun clearing drifts in negative temperatures. All in all, I really do like the machine alot. It does amaze people from time to time what it can do.

Some of the other posters did point out an issue with the 45 if your going to use it around the house, it is quite heavy for it's size. With loaded rears, loader, and a 6' box blade, the thing comes in around high 6k-7k. something to chew on. Additionally, for your purposes, you may want to really consider the tires you choose. My industrials will leave ruts in the field if it is even remotely wet out in the spring and fall. Winter the ground is frozen, and summer it gets hard from the heat. Just something to consider.

Good luck with your pick.

Thanks for the info, my skid steer is rated to lift 1750lbs, and the KL451 loader is rated for 2800 according to the kioti site, so the only thing I will be losing is manuverability which with a skid steed comes with the price of making a mess. Which tires would you reccomend? I have been spec'ing ag tires everywhere I have asked for a price. Thanks!

/ DK 45 or DK 55????? #26  
The 2800 lbs is at the pivot point at end of boom. Other than strictly plowing fields, I'd get R4s. The ply rating is higher, and the sidewalls thicker. But as alway with the R1, and R4 debate, to each his own. :)

/ DK 45 or DK 55?????
They both suck in the snow, the ags appear to give more ground clearance. I guess it really doesnt matter.

/ DK 45 or DK 55????? #28  
Thanks for the info, my skid steer is rated to lift 1750lbs, and the KL451 loader is rated for 2800 according to the kioti site, so the only thing I will be losing is manuverability which with a skid steed comes with the price of making a mess. Which tires would you reccomend? I have been spec'ing ag tires everywhere I have asked for a price. Thanks!

As pointed out by someone else, the real lift is somewhere around 2k. Your skidsteer must have been smaller than the one I had here, cuase he was flipping things around that my tractor wouldn't budge.

As far as tires go, I have the industrials on mine. I drive down the road a good bit. There is a huge debate on this site as to which is the best, so I won't get into it. My personal experience is that the industrials do ok in the snow, just depends on how deep the snow is. Now I normally run my tractor in 4wd in the snow, and when it starts to spin ill put in the lock for the rears. When I am cutting grass with a finish mower (not brush hog), if I turn the wheel too sharp, even in dry conditions, it will tear up the grass somewhat. If it is dry as a bone out, it doesn't do it. Now I finish mow about eight acres, just for the look of it, so I am not going slow when I cut the wheels. You will have to ask someone else here about turf tires, I really have no experience with them. There is no question that the ags will tear up a yard, but they will also get traction ALOT better in mud, muck, and snow.

Yeah, I know I probably stated alot of the obvious here, but I am hesitant to tell you which is better. It really depends on your needs, and ultimately what you want.

/ DK 45 or DK 55????? #29  
The cab is the only way to go. That said be aware that the belt for the AC compressor has this HUGE distance from the crank pulley to the compressor, so if the belt gets anything out of ideal tension, it will squeal like Ned Beatty in Deliverance. That's with the AC on in summer.

/ DK 45 or DK 55?????
UPDATE:D

So I bought a DK55 no cab, 4x4, loader, and got an outstanding deal and great service from Upper Valley Tractor, special thanks to Dave Gaudet (TBN handle KiotiDave) And Robbie Basset. They really did well by me. As for pics I need to get some tomorrow, by the time I got a chance for pics the daylight was fading and I opted for some seat time:p Pushed back some snow banks, moved some piles, scraped my driveway to the bare gravel... The ag tires were great, never once broke traction. Im in love!!!!

Pics to follow, THANKS A TON FOR ALL OF THE HELP AND INPUT!!!!!!!