do they make such a thing for tractors?

/ do they make such a thing for tractors? #32  
Have you tried them? I have some, they don't always work as advertised!!

SR

They are rated at 3000psi, if your system has built up pressure higher than that due to heat etc, then I can see where they might not work as advertised. I have sold several sets, never had any complaints though.

And no, I have not used them. Over all the years that I've been doing this, I've only needed to relieve pressure with wrenches 2-3 times. It just has not been an issue of concern for me. ;)

/ do they make such a thing for tractors? #33  
Like I said, I own some and have used them and although I didn't "run to a dealer to complain" about them, they do not always work as advertised.

A hydraulic shut off is the only thing I've found to work every time (other than pushing on the ball/poppet to relieve the pressure)

SR

/ do they make such a thing for tractors? #34  
Like I said, I own some and have used them and although I didn't "run to a dealer to complain" about them, they do not always work as advertised.

A hydraulic shut off is the only thing I've found to work every time (other than pushing on the ball/poppet to relieve the pressure)

SR

At the 3000psi rated working pressure, it takes less than 30lb of pressure to connect. Other than the connect under pressure couplers, I have no easy inexpensive ways to help the OP and his father. ;)

/ do they make such a thing for tractors? #35  
I have two tools in my onboard tractor tool box. A piece of flexible rubber that I use to protect the ball when using a hammer to relieve pressure and an old screw driver handle that fits inside the female connectors to relieve pressure (it has a bump on the end that works perfectly. You can also keep spare fittings with nothing attached to them to do the same thing, but a little tougher to handle. On the tractor I operate the hydraulic levers with power off and for my 3 function have power on (not started) to operate the solenoid to relieve pressure.

My biggest issue was hoking up to a piece or equipment that has sat outdoors in the sun. After fighting it I figured out how to release the line pressure as mentioned above. Be careful though as hydraulic fluid under pressure can cause you damage. Drape a shop cloth over the fitting (hand outside the cloth), when you relieve the pressure.

Hope this helps

/ do they make such a thing for tractors?
yea i am thinking this is probably going to be a crap shoot with the relieving the pressure, thinking a ball valve with hose or T with pipe fitting adapted will work best because you dontjust let the pressure off you have to let oil go somewhere as well and its usually a considerable amount in my experience if its from a large implement with long hoses.

/ do they make such a thing for tractors? #37  
A trick I learned on Tractorbynet that works for me is to drain a bit of oil from the hoses when I disconnect them. It leaves room for expansion if the hoses are warmed by the sun.

/ do they make such a thing for tractors? #38  
A trick I learned on Tractorbynet that works for me is to drain a bit of oil from the hoses when I disconnect them. It leaves room for expansion if the hoses are warmed by the sun.
And a shutoff before the coupler, keeps you from having to do ANY of the "fixes" mentioned here...

After that, if the hoses build pressure, it will be before the shutoff, and the coupler will work pressure free...

SR