Does anybody REALLY dislike HST?

/ Does anybody REALLY dislike HST? #1  

beppington

Elite Member
Tractor
Here
I've read the pro's & cons of an HST vs gear.

Just wondering if anybody really hates HST's?

Or maybe you have a particular task & your HST is just flat-out the wrong transmission for the job?

I have roughly 13 acres of bush hog type mowing, probably a few times a year, & then up to about a mile of "trails" through some hardwoods I'll bush hog occassionally. This is new property, so I'm not precisely sure how it's gonna go, but those are my educated guesses. I could see the whole thing eventually evolving to more use of a finish mower.

Thank you!

/ Does anybody REALLY dislike HST? #2  
I've read the pro's & cons of an HST vs gear.

Just wondering if anybody really hates HST's?

Or maybe you have a particular task & your HST is just flat-out the wrong transmission for the job?

I have roughly 13 acres of bush hog type mowing, probably a few times a year, & then up to about a mile of "trails" through some hardwoods I'll bush hog occassionally. This is new property, so I'm not precisely sure how it's gonna go, but those are my educated guesses. I could see the whole thing eventually evolving to more use of a finish mower.

Thank you!

for a lawn mower or loader work no, for ground engagement equipment yes. The hydro was way to noisy and hot when used hard in the field. It was a 544 IH

/ Does anybody REALLY dislike HST? #3  
The hydro was way to noisy and hot when used hard in the field. It was a 544 IH

I used to HATE Hydro...I was "forced" into one by Deere...I say forced because the only tranny available with a Cab 3x or 4x20 is the eHydro...after about 10 hours of use I became a believer. I am now in love with my eHdyro.:thumbsup:
As fas as whine, mine doesnt whine...dont feel any heat difference. Alot of time has passed since the 544 was sold new.. :D

To answer your question though, I think it would depend on the hydro in question...I cant stand the Kubota Treddle...the transmission itself though is a nice working transmission. I cant type enough about how much I love the eHydro.

/ Does anybody REALLY dislike HST? #4  
The only complaint I ever had about HST was that my particular tractor doesn't have cruise control. Back in my gear tranny days, I'd select a gear and bush hog the whole pasture without touching anything but the steering wheel. My leg gets a little tired nowadays after an hour or so of mowing weeds.

If you get cruise control on your tractor, then it's no problem.

/ Does anybody REALLY dislike HST? #5  
A hydro is really good when using a front end loader,when you are moving bucket after bucket. They are good for mowing,and are simple and easy to operate. A gear tractor is better when you are doing a lot of constant work.(like plowing,disking,or even brush hogging,large areas) You can put it in the gear you want for speed and let her go. I know most hydros have cruise,but I have noticed if you are working your tractor under load for a long time,the hydro will over heat,the gear will normally not. People that do not use a tractor very often,tend to like the hydros better,they are just plain easier to use. I went back to a gear on my newest tractor.the only draw back I can see is having to shift forward and reverse with your hand and being at a full stop when you do. To me this is no big deal,because I have used this type of tractor most of my life. If several different people are going to use it,the hydro is probably safer just forward or reverse and 2 or 3 speeds.

/ Does anybody REALLY dislike HST? #6  
What I've been told - most tractors that have HST are usually "utility tractors" and are used for many different little jobs, especially nice for loader work since you can keep using loader controls and there's no shifting gears and landscapers prefer the HST for their work - and GEAR trans is mostly the bigger tractors for farm and field work. Does this sound like what most of you have heard?

/ Does anybody REALLY dislike HST?
Thanks everybody.

As I said in another post, I'm leaning towards a JD 4120 which does have a cruise control button.

Seems like the cruise should work well out in the field part, & the hydro should be better for the trails.

The only possible problem: My dad's Mahindra 4110 is "complicated" enough I guess (clutch in, pick a range, pick a speed, push into forward, release clutch while pressing the gas pedal) that nobody else ever bothers asking to use it. Hydro: Just push the GO pedal, I'm afraid everybody's gonna wanna drive it!

/ Does anybody REALLY dislike HST? #8  
Good information all around and can't improve on it. I think some of the older hands may be opposed to the HST based on earlier experiences and none with the newer versions just as some who hate geared units do so based on their experiences with the old geared units and have no experience with the much improved ones now available.

/ Does anybody REALLY dislike HST? #9  
I read posts by others complaining about the HST whine. I have had 3 JDs (2305, 3720 and 4520) and 1 Case-IH (DX29) HSTs. Never heard a whine from any of them regardless of engine rpm or pulling hard.

/ Does anybody REALLY dislike HST? #10  
As fas as whine, mine doesnt whine...dont feel any heat difference. Alot of time has passed since the 544 was sold new.. :D
Dave,
no question about the years since the 544 was around. I think it was an early to mid 70's model but don't remember for sure.