Does anybody REALLY dislike HST?

/ Does anybody REALLY dislike HST? #11  
Well I have one of each and feel very comfortable on both. If all else were equal and met my needs I would go HST. The infinite speed adjustment is what would sway me. My gear tractor has 12 forward speeds and is harder to use for tilling and mowing irregular areas. You will put more power to the pto with a gear tractor though. If I had to go to a smaller mower to have HST I would go gear. And when I say gear I mean a shuttle shift that lets you change directions and gears without clutching or stopping.

MarkV

/ Does anybody REALLY dislike HST? #12  
HST is the closest thing to hands-free.
Only for field work, where plowing, disking, etc. and long times getting from one end of a field to the other would I choose the gear.

I really miss the HST when I do loader work with a shuttle tractor. Compared to HST, it's a pain for me and I see no advantage whatsoever (to me). The ehydro is a step up over HST for loader work too. But I can adapt to how to approach the work without ehydro and just HST.

Hope some or all of these replies give you what you want to know. Even then, you may still prefer going without the HST. :)

/ Does anybody REALLY dislike HST? #13  
Well I have one of each and feel very comfortable on both. If all else were equal and met my needs I would go HST. The infinite speed adjustment is what would sway me. My gear tractor has 12 forward speeds and is harder to use for tilling and mowing irregular areas. You will put more power to the pto with a gear tractor though. If I had to go to a smaller mower to have HST I would go gear. And when I say gear I mean a shuttle shift that lets you change directions and gears without clutching or stopping.MarkV
I also have one of each, gear tractor has 8 forward speeds and is not hard to use at all, I just select the right gear. I find the HST tractor much better w/FEL work. The responsiveness offers more technique with the quicker response. What I do not like about HST is that your right foot is tied up and it is difficult to use the brakes at the same time. It is really nice to have both, smaller one with HST and a bigger one with gear and hydro shuttle. When using the gear drive for loader work I tend to use the foot throttle and shuttle in symphony with each other thus almost accomplishing the effect of the HST, but not quite. One technique I use with the HST is to rock back and forth, something I find not possible with the gear tractor.

/ Does anybody REALLY dislike HST? #14  
Who couldn't love HST ???? :confused:

Its the bees knees. :thumbsup:

/ Does anybody REALLY dislike HST? #15  
I have both a HST and two Gear tractors. Since most of my tractor work currently is brush hogging and grading, I prefer Gear. For mowing the lawn, I prefer my HST lawn tractor to get close to buildings and it is easy for my whole family to drive. I cant say I have a favorite for both close up and field work because both have their ups and downs on that. Its kinda just based on opinion.

/ Does anybody REALLY dislike HST? #16  
I doubt anyone "really dislikes" any kind of transmission. It's no more then a preference.
Unless you're one of those obsessive-compulsive TBNers...

/ Does anybody REALLY dislike HST? #17  
Can,t help but love my HST after doing so much with gear,it,s just so easy.You give up a bit of power but if you buy a few extra horses its a wash.I,ll never go back,just my 2cents:thumbsup:Dave

/ Does anybody REALLY dislike HST? #18  
For open field bush-hogging, the gear has an advantage due to greater efficiency, but in the woods and cutting around trees, etc, the hydro would be just as, if not more efficient. I would let that decide for you, if you are doing mostly open field work - go gear, otherwise hydro. I have a 4120 gear and it has power to spare on a 6 ft bush hog, even cutting thick stuff so I think, even with the slight efficiency loss of the hydro, you would still be ok with a 6 ft mower. I use the 4120 mostly for open field bush-hogging and some tillage (plow/disc), so the gear decision was a no-brainer for me. That said, I have both gear and hydro lawn mid-mount mower tractors of equal hp, and I can get the lawn cut faster with the hydro even though it has a narrower cut. I have a lot of trees, buildings, etc to mow around and the hydro is a huge advantage in that situation. If you think you will get a cab, and hydro, a 4320 might be in order as the AC will suck up a little more hp and ,coupled with the hydro efficiency loss, you may be pushing the power a bit for a 6 ft bush-hog. The 4000 series are a little too wide for a 5-foot mower. Personally, I feel a canopy is a much better proposition than a cab on these little machines anyhow, if working under the hot sun bothers you. A good canopy takes care of that problem, dont cost much money, and is easy to take off in a hurry if you need to fold the roll-bar for clearance issues. If you go for a 4120, I would also recommend the R1 tires with the rears loaded. That will give you enough traction to get all the tractor's hp into the ground if you ever need it. R4's will really limit your drawbar pull ability on soft ground. There really isn't much difference in damage to a soft lawn between R4's and R1's, but there is a huge difference in traction ability on soft ground.

/ Does anybody REALLY dislike HST? #19  
I've got 2 HST Lawn Tractors and a JD 3038E. I can't hear any transmission whine over the engine noise. That could be due to all that loud acid rock music I listened to in the 70's. However, my wife has never mentioned hearing any whining and she has hearing like a bat.

Maybe the HST noise problems are a thing of the past?

/ Does anybody REALLY dislike HST? #20  
planning to use a snowblower in big storms ...get a hydro or learn how to change the clutch