Does anybody REALLY dislike HST?

/ Does anybody REALLY dislike HST? #51  
My mission critical app, the one I bought the geared Mahindra 4110 for, is tilling. I till SWMBO's garden twice a year, and about 3 acres of food plots. Like the gear for that. Mowing gets the most use, and as said earlier, once I put it in the right gear I can just steer and sing along with my MP3.:thumbsup:

/ Does anybody REALLY dislike HST? #52  
My mission critical app, the one I bought the geared Mahindra 4110 for, is tilling. I till SWMBO's garden twice a year, and about 3 acres of food plots. Like the gear for that. Mowing gets the most use, and as said earlier, once I put it in the right gear I can just steer and sing along with my MP3.:thumbsup:

Funny you say that. I guess it proves that we all have our own preferences. I really like tilling with my HST better than with my previous geared tractor. I like being able to make small adjustments in my speed to match the ground conditions. I.e. when I get over under the tree where the ground does not dry out as fast I can go a little faster that in the opposite corner where the sun beats down. Also, I like that the HST can go slower that the slowest gear in my old geared tractor.

I agree with the mowing part 100%. That's when I miss the old geared tranny.

/ Does anybody REALLY dislike HST? #54  
Like others have said, for field work I like my gears but for mowing the lawn on my little JD lawnmower HST is OK by me.:) I can see where if you're doing FEL work or short runs with a rear implement then a HST might be an advantage.

/ Does anybody REALLY dislike HST? #55  
A lot of the same old same old...
Tractors for tractor work - GEARS !

When is a tractor not a tractor ?

When it has been converted to a fork-lift, or other special purpose vehicle for which a hydrostatic transmission offers some advantage.
Also, as has been so eloquently said from time to time; "so the wife and kids can drive it".

/ Does anybody REALLY dislike HST? #56  
No cruise control on yours then?

Yeah. Poor men have poor ways.

I'll admit if I had cruise control, 90% of the cons of my HST would be resolved. Then my HST would be 99% better than the geared unit.

/ Does anybody REALLY dislike HST? #57  
ok everyone else has said their piece. now its my turn. I have had 2 gear tractors Long 2360, and Kubota B7500 and 2 hydro tractors. NH TC33DA and now my new Kubota L3400HST . I used to mow 7 acres with the Long, and traded for the NH with hydro.. NH wins hands down. even tho a smaller tractor, and downsized the finish mower from 6ft to 5 ft. the NH wins the time race due to manuverability and ability to reverse quickly and mow under trees.
The Long was a gear grinder, but worked ok. the B7500 was much slicker gear tractor transmission. but in loader work really missed the hydro in the NH. also when digging with bucket. you just have so much better control with hydro.. when operating around buildings. hydro is the way to go. Left leg likes hydro a bunch:) My hydro tractors have always had cruise control. so no problem when mowing. Do Hydro's whine?.. Yes they do. I don't mind. it kinda sings to you about the load. I suspect the whine from the L3400 might lessen a little when it gets broken in. We shall see. All in all. they both have merits, I guess that is why they make both.. But my choice. Hydro.
Thanks for listening to my rant..
Jim

/ Does anybody REALLY dislike HST? #58  
Ever since I got my B7800 w/HST and subsequently every time I use it I become more of a fan of HST. Since most of my work is loader and tiller oriented it is superb. I am also surprised at how much I use the B7800 vs. the L4350 now. The L still reigns supreme in the heavy tasks but the nimbleness of the B is more desirable more often. Even for loading trailers, the L can lift more but the B can lift less more often! Just had that experience yesterday while loading manure, hauled the B w/the dump trailer (one less trip) and was able to attack the pile (in a pit type area)from different angles which I was unable to do w/the L because of the size. HST:thumbsup: Smaller tractor size:thumbsup: Being able to equip your tractor for what you do...Priceless!

/ Does anybody REALLY dislike HST? #59  
having only used a mf 231 gear and '49 farmall, i have no complaints. but i mainly use tractor for bushhoging, some light box blade work around the place. but if i had a fel i would like to have a hst. i am still new to this site and really impressed with all the great info and banter.

/ Does anybody REALLY dislike HST? #60  
I have both. Seldom use the gear but it has it's pluses. I don't see why anyone would 'hate' either one. Hate is a pretty strong word in my vocabulary

IH 544 comparison is like saying all computers are the same regardless of age.

Once I figured out how to use the treadle I really like it. Cruise control makes life even better:thumbsup: