Dog Barking on Tractor

/ Dog Barking on Tractor #1  

TimberXX

Platinum Member
Tractor
BCS 770 Italian 2 Wheel Tractor, Grillo 107d, BCS 853, Deere x350, Deere x730
So this is going to sound crazy. My dog barks non stop when I ride my tractor. He is new, and barks from either inside the house, or outside the house. Any ideas how to train him to stop barking at the tractor. It drives my wife nuts.

/ Dog Barking on Tractor #2  
Well, for one thing, make sure no one yells or gets excited at him when he barks. When a dog barks, and someone yells or acts excited, the dog thinks the person is barking along with him.... so hey, group bark!!! :laughing:

Try removing the dog from the area where he can see you to an inside room and see if that stops him.

/ Dog Barking on Tractor #3  
Discipline the dog.

/ Dog Barking on Tractor #4  
The dog is barking.... "It's my time to drive the tractor!!!"

/ Dog Barking on Tractor #5  
   / Dog Barking on Tractor #6  
Animals not used to tractors can react weirdly to them. My cat will try to commit suicide by walking in front of a car in the driveway, but won't get within 100 yards of the tractor. I always blamed the HST whine, but someone told me it's the sound of a diesel that spooks them...I guess I'll have to buy another tractor to test. Or two. One Diesel with a gear drive and one gas with Hydro. Anybody want to chip some funding into this scientific endeavor?;)

/ Dog Barking on Tractor #7  
I can see you now sitting down with the dog going over the manual of "NO BARKING AT TRACTOR". lol

Do you let him ride with you on anything else and he thinks he should be riding with you? Could there be something about the tractor noise wise that bothers his hearing? High pitch whining of belt or bearing or fan? Have known of people fixing platform for their dog to ride with them.

If you wife drives the tractor does he bark the same as if you are driving it?

/ Dog Barking on Tractor #8  
15 years ago, Our son's first car was a diesel Mercedes.

When he started it, our Keeshond went absolutely ballistic, barking at him, the car, and even trying to bite the front tire when he was backing out of the yard.

Nearest thing I can think is that they essentially grew up together, and the dog couldn't accept that our son was now able to leave him.

/ Dog Barking on Tractor #9  
Too funny....my folks used to have a problem with a dog that loved to ride in the back of the pickup when feeding cows. Problem was he would want to bark right into your ear from the front of the p/u box....it hurt. They put a bark collar on him that gave gradual level shocks, the louder the bark the more aggressive it applied the shock. They only had it on while feeding cows and a couple of months later it was no longer needed. Was a relatively young dog though...

/ Dog Barking on Tractor #10  
Too funny....my folks used to have a problem with a dog that loved to ride in the back of the pickup when feeding cows. Problem was he would want to bark right into your ear from the front of the p/u box....it hurt. They put a bark collar on him that gave gradual level shocks, the louder the bark the more aggressive it applied the shock. They only had it on while feeding cows and a couple of months later it was no longer needed. Was a relatively young dog though...

Easy fix. Take him with you!!! :) That is what I do. My tractor has a rather large cab though! :rolleyes:

Garmin makes some really nice training and bark collars.