Dog Barking on Tractor

/ Dog Barking on Tractor #11  
Animals not used to tractors can react weirdly to them. My cat will try to commit suicide by walking in front of a car in the driveway, but won't get within 100 yards of the tractor. I always blamed the HST whine, but someone told me it's the sound of a diesel that spooks them...I guess I'll have to buy another tractor to test. Or two. One Diesel with a gear drive and one gas with Hydro. Anybody want to chip some funding into this scientific endeavor?;)
It wouldn't surprise me if you could get a research grant just for that.

Back to on topic.....dogs that would bark at a tractor would drive me nuts too. Discipline the dog....the electric collar just might be the ticket.

/ Dog Barking on Tractor #12  
He's trying to tell you that you left the gas cap off.

/ Dog Barking on Tractor #13  
The neighbor, his house sits quite a bit off the road and is behind me has a hunting dog of some sort and is in a big cage. Does nothing but bark all day and night. I have never heard it not bark. Can't sit on the back porch and have a quite cup of coffee in the morning or night without that dog barking. I guess he and his wife and three kids are deaf. Drives me crazy. Had dogs, nothing but trouble messing things up so no more. Can't stand the crap in the yard driving thru the piles with mower and having to smell it. Want it to quit barking. Get rid of it. My motto is if I feed it I better be able to eat it.

/ Dog Barking on Tractor #14  
Had a terrier mix dog years ago that would go into epileptic seizures if I drove the tractor within 50 feet of him..

/ Dog Barking on Tractor #15  
Interesting, my current dogs don't really care but a previous one once ran full bore into the back of a moving diesel truck protecting my kids I assume. The truck was going down our road and my were kids playing in the front yard. The dog did survive but was a bit off after that. Makes you wonder if there is a sound they can hear that we cannot. Turbo diesels maybe?

/ Dog Barking on Tractor #16  
Too funny....my folks used to have a problem with a dog that loved to ride in the back of the pickup when feeding cows. Problem was he would want to bark right into your ear from the front of the p/u box....it hurt. They put a bark collar on him that gave gradual level shocks, the louder the bark the more aggressive it applied the shock. They only had it on while feeding cows and a couple of months later it was no longer needed. Was a relatively young dog though...

Yep, discipline the dog. Not implying beat him with a club. Discipline in whatever manner gives best results.

My Son's Lab was intrusive, sniff your crotch, lick your hand, jump up on you, etc. Bought one of those collars and within a couple weeks the dog figured it out. After the first couple tingles all they had to do was have the collar give an audible signal and she would stop her behavior. :)

/ Dog Barking on Tractor #17  
The neighbor, his house sits quite a bit off the road and is behind me has a hunting dog of some sort and is in a big cage. Does nothing but bark all day and night. I have never heard it not bark. Can't sit on the back porch and have a quite cup of coffee in the morning or night without that dog barking. I guess he and his wife and three kids are deaf. Drives me crazy. Had dogs, nothing but trouble messing things up so no more. Can't stand the crap in the yard driving thru the piles with mower and having to smell it. Want it to quit barking. Get rid of it. My motto is if I feed it I better be able to eat it.

My neighbor at the farm has a Coon Hound. Same way. The dog is completely insane. He never hunts it. I pray for it to finally get old and die. Makes me want to lock him in a cage. Totally not the dog's fault.

P.S. My dog never, ever craps in the yard or anywhere near the house or shop.

/ Dog Barking on Tractor #18  
Hmmm. My wife barks whenever I get on my tractor. "Why are you mowing?" "Why are you digging?" I'm kind of used to it now. Maybe one of those collars is in order.
Just kidding.

/ Dog Barking on Tractor #19  
Dogs are naturally den animals. Try crate training.

I don't mean that you use the crate to discipline. Introduce the crate as a safe haven. When you go out to operate the tractor, give the dog a treat and put them in a crate. Covering the crate with a blanket can help to make them feel more secure.

We have 5 dogs. All are crate trained and naturally go to their crate when they want to chill or avoid something that they are not comfortable with.

I don't object to the training collars, but I prefer to try positive training first. I've never had to use one though for the training we've needed to achieve. Dog training takes time and effort. Some dogs pick up the message quicker than others.

/ Dog Barking on Tractor #20  
Dogs are naturally den animals. Try crate training.

I don't mean that you use the crate to discipline. Introduce the crate as a safe haven. When you go out to operate the tractor, give the dog a treat and put them in a crate. Covering the crate with a blanket can help to make them feel more secure.

We have 5 dogs. All are crate trained and naturally go to their crate when they want to chill or avoid something that they are not comfortable with.

I don't object to the training collars, but I prefer to try positive training first. I've never had to use one though for the training we've needed to achieve. Dog training takes time and effort. Some dogs pick up the message quicker than others.

Very good stuff right there!!!!

I've never had to use a collar either. I've always had a close personal relationship with every dog I've had. My current dog is probably the smartest. Him and I have normal interaction at the same level. To keep him interested I've taught him sign language. He knows at least 5 signals without a word spoken. One of those is to quit barking. He loves it when I get on the tractor. He's figured out there will be critters scurrying away that he might catch. I decided to teach him sign language so I could communicate with him over tractor noise without screaming at him. He prefers that method. :)