Dog Barking on Tractor

/ Dog Barking on Tractor #21  
Very good stuff right there!!!!

I've never had to use a collar either. I've always had a close personal relationship with every dog I've had. My current dog is probably the smartest. Him and I have normal interaction at the same level. To keep him interested I've taught him sign language. He knows at least 5 signals without a word spoken. One of those is to quit barking. He loves it when I get on the tractor. He's figured out there will be critters scurrying away that he might catch. I decided to teach him sign language so I could communicate with him over tractor noise without screaming at him. He prefers that method. :)

Richard,

Well said. I hope people don't miss the important point about keeping a dog interested. Some dogs require a higher level of stimulation. Boredom in many cases results in bad behavoir.

We've all seen dogs in the movies/television and they are amazing. What people don't realize, in many cases, these dogs have been rescued from pounds because people could not handle bad behavior and got rid of them. All the dog needed was a high level of stimulation (training) to keep their interest.

/ Dog Barking on Tractor #22  
My wife had a Border Collie (the looks, not the brains) that would bark at the neighbor when he was running tractor or a weed eater close to the fence. If I was doing either, she would head for the back 40 or want in the house. I think most dogs can learn or unlearn most anything through positive (or negative!) reinforcement. Although I had a Catahoula that could not be contained. Steel, concrete whatever... she was getting out. Every time she escaped, she would be sitting on the front porch when I got home. There was that spell where she liked to chase the neighbors calves... a 12 gauge took care of that. She hated thunder too.

/ Dog Barking on Tractor #23  
The neighbor, his house sits quite a bit off the road and is behind me has a hunting dog of some sort and is in a big cage. Does nothing but bark all day and night. I have never heard it not bark. Can't sit on the back porch and have a quite cup of coffee in the morning or night without that dog barking. I guess he and his wife and three kids are deaf. Drives me crazy. Had dogs, nothing but trouble messing things up so no more. Can't stand the crap in the yard driving thru the piles with mower and having to smell it. Want it to quit barking. Get rid of it. My motto is if I feed it I better be able to eat it.

I feel sorry for you. Not only can you not communicate with your neighbor, but it appears you don't like animals. People that are cruel to animals are no friends of mine.

I have bought one dog in my life, and the rest have been rescues. Just like Charlie. He showed up at a friend's deer camp and was messing with the resident dog. I took him in. I have had him over a year and haven't looked back.

How people treat animals says a lot about them. Here is Charlie after a good bath and grooming (knotted balls of hair he had).

12401970_521051654729954_6925222438564643603_o_zpsg0mov47l.jpg

/ Dog Barking on Tractor #24  
I feel sorry for you. Not only can you not communicate with your neighbor, but it appears you don't like animals. People that are cruel to animals are no friends of mine.

I have bought one dog in my life, and the rest have been rescues. Just like Charlie. He showed up at a friend's deer camp and was messing with the resident dog. I took him in. I have had him over a year and haven't looked back.

How people treat animals says a lot about them. Here is Charlie after a good bath and grooming (knotted balls of hair he had).

I agree with the above.^^^^
Charlie looks great and is very content in the picture.:thumbsup:
My dog goes to work with me most days but she does have to stay on a rope in the shade while I work.

/ Dog Barking on Tractor #25  

Got that all wrong. I don't hate animals. I hate people that get animals just to have them and don't do nothing with them. Lots of people in the world get dogs and just let them run loose and bother other people's stuff and tear things up. My animals are taken well care of. My cattle have a barn they go in and eat hay after they have a couple buckets of grain and usually lay down in there and chew their cud. I clean it twice a day and bed it after. I also have chickens that are feed well with fresh greens and grain and all has fresh water anytime they want it. I don't beat them, run them around. They, chickens and all are tame as can be. The two pigs are just like a couple kids and get treated better than some kids do. But when it comes time they have a purpose in life and I don't have any guilty feelings at all. I know how they were treated and how well they were feed. I have problems with people that think their pets have the right to invade my space and bother my animals. My animals stay where they belong and not at the neighbors messing up their stuff and not crapping on their front porch or in their yard. Some people forget they the dogs are animals. Can't tell you how many times I've heard their just like part of the family. Well my grand kids are just like family to but I don't let them run loose in others yard and crap and pee on their property. No matter what cranks your tractor, dogs, cats, horses, cattle what ever it's the owner responsibility to take care of them and do things with them as they are intended not my responsibility to clean up after their animals and fix what they tear up.

And by the way I talk to the neighbor. Only lived here almost two years and never seen the need to say anything about the dog barking. It's in a cage and not bothering my stuff and place. It's about a 1/4 mile away and unless the wind isn't blowing and its still where sound carries it doesn't bother me where I see the need to piss him off saying something.

/ Dog Barking on Tractor #26  
Animals not used to tractors can react weirdly to them. My cat will try to commit suicide by walking in front of a car in the driveway, but won't get within 100 yards of the tractor. I always blamed the HST whine, but someone told me it's the sound of a diesel that spooks them...I guess I'll have to buy another tractor to test. Or two. One Diesel with a gear drive and one gas with Hydro. Anybody want to chip some funding into this scientific endeavor?;)

Surely you should apply for a gov't grant, shucks they fund enough dumber things.
But then you would have to be a professional with an accredited university degree to qualify.
Master in environmental studies with a major in noise pollution should do it.

/ Dog Barking on Tractor #27  
My dog acts the same way, but it is because he wants to ride along. When he was younger, he would just jump up to the operators station. Now that he is older, I have to lift him up. He is perfectly content to sleep at my feet on the floor while I till the garden or do whatever I'm doing.

/ Dog Barking on Tractor #28  
Dogs are naturally den animals. Try crate training.

I don't mean that you use the crate to discipline. Introduce the crate as a safe haven. When you go out to operate the tractor, give the dog a treat and put them in a crate. Covering the crate with a blanket can help to make them feel more secure.

We have 5 dogs. All are crate trained and naturally go to their crate when they want to chill or avoid something that they are not comfortable with.

My son brought home a dog and she peed all over the house until someone suggested a crate. The theory being that she wouldn't foul her own den. We put her in a crate in the living room and pretty soon she quit peeing in the house.

/ Dog Barking on Tractor #29  
My daughter had a boyfriend. He came over one evening and told us how the night before his dad got a shock collar for their dog. His grandad was there and offered the grandson 20 bucks to put it on and take off running. He did and they rolled him....I told my daughter she needs to dump him..fortunately, unlike our lab, she listened to me.

/ Dog Barking on Tractor #30  
One of my labs likes to bark, and walk along as I use tractor. Sometimes I let her bark, and yell, "shut up" every once in a while. If it's a problem, I put her in the kennel.