DUST CONTROL

/ DUST CONTROL
No one would argue that a roller is bad. Right now - raining in CA- I'm guessing you could land plane, let the folks drive the road for a month or so, to see the results, and spray the Dust Off right after the next storm. The variables are the type and condition of road base. The subsoil condition and the amount of organic matter in the soil. If it isn't your road and all you are trying to do is keep the dust down I'm wondering why the extra time and expense to make everything perfect?

Someone mentioned land plane and I got carried away with myself, yea your right all I need to do is spray the road.

/ DUST CONTROL #42  
Ok, just got off the phone with the guy who sells the product Dust-off, he said it's a product you need to spray once a year and it works on the same principal as calcium chloride where it pulls the moisture out of the air but it's water soluble and non corrosive. He said i would need about 500 gallons at $1.07 per gallon and he would rent me his spray rig for $135. A day for a total of $665.00 per year. He said you need to spray water down first then apply the product. He talked to me about oil and chip seal but said because you have such a small road that your best to find a crew that is doing a big road near you because the cost of coming out would be expensive. Thank you everybody for ideas, very helpful.
Bummer, looks like $1.10 per linear foot per year but I have a half mile...guess I'll be rigging up something for oil...

/ DUST CONTROL #43  
Bummer, looks like $1.10 per linear foot per year but I have a half mile...guess I'll be rigging up something for oil...

Don't get caught putting down oil! The tree huggers and EPA will have a field day with you and you could end up with a huge cleanup bill! ie: remove all the gravel on the road that is contaminated and dispose of same and replace with virgin gravel. OR they could contract the job out and sent you the bill. I'm not talking a few bux here, I am talking thousands of bux.
Flake calcium chloride is better, but wear gloves and DO NOT breathe in the dust!

/ DUST CONTROL #44  
Don't get caught putting down oil! The tree huggers and EPA will have a field day with you and you could end up with a huge cleanup bill! ie: remove all the gravel on the road that is contaminated and dispose of same and replace with virgin gravel. OR they could contract the job out and sent you the bill. I'm not talking a few bux here, I am talking thousands of bux.
Flake calcium chloride is better, but wear gloves and DO NOT breathe in the dust!

Thousand of dollars. Ha, ha. It could be many tens of thousand of dollars--or more. California is too risky to do anything without the express written permission of the town or some higher authority. To do anything on your own regarding any environmental issue in that state is just asking for trouble. I would never, ever, never put oil on the ground. One drop can have you dig out lots of dirt.

/ DUST CONTROL
I know there are many different types of soil on this planet, is there not a soil that has clay in it or some soil you could have trucked in that does not give off dust.

Last edited:
   / DUST CONTROL #48  
On our site we used calcium chloride but we applied it ourself. We had it shipped in 1200liter totes. We connected some ABS plastic to the tote to a valve then a T-fitting. Then off the T we had some 3" extended out both sides. On the bottom of the extensions we drilled some small holes(don't remember the exact size). Gravity did all the work to spray. I might have a photo somewhere. Let me know if you need it.

/ DUST CONTROL

Very interesting, wonder how much that product cost. It would be nice to find a more permanent solution than dealing with the cost every year. I could buy a lot more toys for $600:laughing:

/ DUST CONTROL
On our site we used calcium chloride but we applied it ourself. We had it shipped in 1200liter totes. We connected some ABS plastic to the tote to a valve then a T-fitting. Then off the T we had some 3" extended out both sides. On the bottom of the extensions we drilled some small holes(don't remember the exact size). Gravity did all the work to spray. I might have a photo somewhere. Let me know if you need it.

Have you noticed any damage to vehicles, I've read that calcium chloride is corrosive.