EcoDiesel, A Maiden Voyage

/ EcoDiesel, A Maiden Voyage #11  
Around here, some dealers are reluctant on taking in the EB on trade.

Those dealers must not be Ford dealers. Ford dealers know how easy it is to turn an EcoBoost truck.

/ EcoDiesel, A Maiden Voyage #12  
I gave strong consideration to Dodge, Nissan, and Toyota but for the reasons I listed they didn't make the cut. Not here. EB trucks used sell in a week. I agree, they are behind in those areas but were 10 years ahead until this year. The new aluminum 2015 F150 will address this. Chris

I'm not sold on the '15 F150's styling just yet but the new features it's going to have are awesome! I'll have to see one in person to see if it grows on me some. Too much "Tundra" look to it for me right now. I don't know what it is that I'm missing about the RAM so. I just am not seeing what's so great about it. I don't like the styling, I laugh at the lack of capability due to the suspension, the interior is good for a Dodge but it's no better then anyone else's. I've really looked at them too and I'm just not seeing it. The RAM would be next to last on my list of trucks I would own in the full size market and that's where they ranked when I bought my new truck a few months ago. My decision was really Ford and Chevy neck and neck.

/ EcoDiesel, A Maiden Voyage #13  
About time somebody built a 1/2 ton truck with a diesel engine. I would really like to see more of this including a smaller diesel pickup the size of a ranger/canyon/Dakota. Mahindra was supposed to release one a couple of years ago but it never went through.

I love how the thread turned into a EB and Ford based within just a few posts. Some people just like to talk about themselves I guess.

Will be interesting to see how this truck sells. It looks like more and more diesel vehicles are being brought to the US from other markets which is a good thing IMO.

/ EcoDiesel, A Maiden Voyage #14  
yes lets get back on topic ......the Ford owners that never ever intended to purchase anything else and just want to bash the other brands have many other threads to do that on.

I am curious to how many of these diesels actually are allocated to a dealer, so they can be test drove by us locals before considering. I love the concept imagine if Dodge also went with Aluminum body parts........a truck might last my lifetime !!!

/ EcoDiesel, A Maiden Voyage #15  
I love the concept imagine if Dodge also went with Aluminum body parts........a truck might last my lifetime !!!

Starting in 2013, the RAM's hood is aluminum. It was done for weight reduction so says the sales brochure.

I also stumble across an interesting story about US automotive regulation and the costs associated. 21% of a vehicle's cost is what a manufacture pays to meet US regulation.

Federal regs for auto dealers costing US economy more than $10B, study says | Fox News

/ EcoDiesel, A Maiden Voyage #16  
Starting in 2013, the RAM's hood is aluminum. It was done for weight reduction so says the sales brochure.

I also stumble across an interesting story about US automotive regulation and the costs associated. 21% of a vehicle's cost is what a manufacture pays to meet US regulation.

Federal regs for auto dealers costing US economy more than $10B, study says | Fox News

Yes, but (at least in early 2000's) the production cost of a suburban was around $8k and they were selling for $40k. So I would imagine that 21% is based off the $8k figure, so about $1600 for a 40 thousand dollar vehicle.

Those numbers came from a guy I know that used to work for GM and that is supposedly what they told him... I can't promise 100% accuracy.

/ EcoDiesel, A Maiden Voyage #17  
I'm still curious as to why they have such a sad payload. If it was brakes, engine, drivetrain, they wouldn't put such a high tow rating on them. So that really just leaves suspension and tires, two of the cheapest things to improve. Seems stupid that they would cheap out there because I am sure it is costing them a lot of sales.

/ EcoDiesel, A Maiden Voyage #18  
I'm still curious as to why they have such a sad payload. If it was brakes, engine, drivetrain, they wouldn't put such a high tow rating on them. So that really just leaves suspension and tires, two of the cheapest things to improve. Seems stupid that they would cheap out there because I am sure it is costing them a lot of sales.
Agreed. And it seems like it would be easy to offer a Heavy Payload option with stiffer suspension if that is indeed the weak link. Driving a Ram loaded or towing would be an easy target for law enforcement.

/ EcoDiesel, A Maiden Voyage #19  
Save $13k and get a '14 GMC with the new 4.3litre and have better tow numbers. Yes, the Ram would be good for someone that doesn't haul or tow much but puts lots of miles on their truck. But, $13k would buy lots of fuel too.

/ EcoDiesel, A Maiden Voyage #20  
Save $13k and get a '14 GMC with the new 4.3litre and have better tow numbers. Yes, the Ram would be good for someone that doesn't haul or tow much but puts lots of miles on their truck. But, $13k would buy lots of fuel too.

I paid 43K out the door for my RAM Laramie, eight speed transmission, 3:21 rear axle ratio, 1,266 payload, and 7,750 towing ability. So I can get an LTZ that can tow more and for 30K?

The problem with tow ratings, there is no standard method used by the manufactures to rate towing ability. They are marketing numbers grabbed out of the air (usually the parking pawl's ability to hold weight on a certain incline) to look competitive.