EcoDiesel, A Maiden Voyage

/ EcoDiesel, A Maiden Voyage #21  
The problem with tow ratings, there is no standard method used by the manufactures to rate towing ability.

Not only are there no standard methods, I have not heard how ANY of the makers arrive at
their tow rating numbers. Is it how much heat an auto trans can dissipate? Is it how fast you
can go up a certain grade? Is it the duty cycle of a certain load at a certain speed without overheating
the engine? Is it how hot the brakes are allowed to get when stopping? What?

As for payload, I see why they are so small for pickups these days: the makers want them to
ride like a luxury car. I recall my first pickup, a 71 Datsun that had only a 1600cc engine and weighed
only about 2000#. Payload was over 1300#, but it rode like crap.

My data is old, but the last time I checked, the highest payload RATING on a "half-ton" pickup was
for the Honda Ridgline, a large funky V6 car with a bizzaro rear cargo area.

/ EcoDiesel, A Maiden Voyage #22  
Ram EcoDiesel - Fuel Economy, Power & Efficiency - Ram Trucks
PERFORMANCE TOWING

When it comes to towing, the 3.0L EcoDiesel V6 engine consistently outperforms similarly equipped gas engines. With 9,200 pounds max towing+ and a max payload of up to 1,620 pounds+, this engine has serious muscle.

Ram 1500

3.0L EcoDiesel V6

9,200+LBS

GMC Sierra 1500

4.3L EcoTec® V6

7,200LBS

Chevrolet Silverado 1500

4.3L EcoTec® V6

7,200LBS

Ford F-150

3.7L Ti-VCT V6

6,700LBS

/ EcoDiesel, A Maiden Voyage #23  
I paid 43K out the door for my RAM Laramie, eight speed transmission, 3:21 rear axle ratio, 1,266 payload, and 7,750 towing ability. So I can get an LTZ that can tow more and for 30K?

The problem with tow ratings, there is no standard method used by the manufactures to rate towing ability. They are marketing numbers grabbed out of the air (usually the parking pawl's ability to hold weight on a certain incline) to look competitive.

What configuration is your truck? I didn't think you could get a 3:21 with the diesel. Is your payload number from the door sticker or manual?

I question being able to tow more with the 4.3 liter unless he is thinking the low payload numbers won't allow the diesel to get to its max towing numbers with the needed tongue weight.

/ EcoDiesel, A Maiden Voyage #24  
Ram EcoDiesel - Fuel Economy, Power & Efficiency - Ram Trucks
PERFORMANCE TOWING
When it comes to towing, the 3.0L EcoDiesel V6 engine consistently outperforms similarly equipped gas engines. With 9,200 pounds max towing+ and a max payload of up to 1,620 pounds+, this engine has serious muscle.
Ram 1500
3.0L EcoDiesel V6
9,200+LBS
GMC Sierra 1500
4.3L EcoTec® V6
7,200LBS

Chevrolet Silverado 1500
4.3L EcoTec® V6
7,200LBS

Ford F-150
3.7L Ti-VCT V6
6,700LBS

Hmm, put your "premium" engine against your competitors "economy" engine and you win, what a surprise.
Good thing they didn't put it against the EcoBoost or the 5.0 V8:
http://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/features/Feature10/ said:
The F-150 with EcoBoost has a maximum towing capability of 11,300 lbs. (when properly equipped) plus a maximum 3,100 lbs. of payload.
http://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/features/Feature12/ said:
The available 5.0L Ti-VCT V8 generates 360 horsepower and 380 lb.-ft. of torque, making possible a best-in-class maximum 3,120-lb. payload rating plus a maximum towing capability of 10,000 lbs.
Look at that, the GMC with the 5.3 can tow 10200lbs (2014 Sierra 1500 | Optional Equipment | GMC)

Aaron Z

/ EcoDiesel, A Maiden Voyage #25  
My numbers came from the Feb 2014 Trucktrend mag and the test they ran on the new trucks. Their Ram Laramie Longhorn diesel was over $50k and the GMC Sierra 4.3 SLE was $over $37k. The tow numbers were lower on the Ram and the 1/4 mile while towing 75% of rated weight was slower with the Ram. It seems the tow amount on that Ram was only 7300lbs. while the GMC was ~7600lbs.

/ EcoDiesel, A Maiden Voyage #26  
I didn't think you could get a 3:21 with the diesel. Is your payload number from the door sticker or manual?

I believe you are correct, but I do not have the diesel, I have the 5.7L Hemi in my truck. Payload/tow numbers are from RAM's web site, the owners' manual does not publish actual numbers because of the many different configurations of engine, transmissions, and axle ratios.

In general, many posts in this thread argue about what brand can tow what amount of weight and again, there is no standard method used to rate tow weight ability across manufactures. So you guys are arguing about something that doesn't really exist outside of marketing material. When I went shopping to replace my 2003 Tahoe, I knew I needed a pickup so I could haul small trees, something the Tahoe could not ingest, needed the ability to tow 7500 pounds, and wanted an upscale interior for going out nights.

Truth be told, I looked at all three and all three were very capable trucks for my needs. I get employee pricing on GM and Chrysler so Ford was out. The RAM rode nicer and had a quieter cab that the Silverado, RAM was also priced better than GM, but what sold me on the RAM was the interior. This is completely subjective, I bought what I liked, it carries trees, pulls my tractor, and the wife and I take it out to up-scale neighborhoods for dinner.

Buy what you enjoy, so what if brand X pulls 1,000 more pounds, it is just marketing material anyways. These are 1/2 on trucks, that is it. If you really need to pull weight and often, they make solutions for your needs but not 1/2 ton trucks.

/ EcoDiesel, A Maiden Voyage #27  
I'm still curious as to why they have such a sad payload. If it was brakes, engine, drivetrain, they wouldn't put such a high tow rating on them. So that really just leaves suspension and tires, two of the cheapest things to improve. Seems stupid that they would cheap out there because I am sure it is costing them a lot of sales.

How is it costing them in sales? There's a long waiting list to get one.

/ EcoDiesel, A Maiden Voyage #28  
I believe you are correct, but I do not have the diesel, I have the 5.7L Hemi in my truck. Payload/tow numbers are from RAM's web site, the owners' manual does not publish actual numbers because of the many different configurations of engine, transmissions, and axle ratios.

I would be interested in knowing what your door sticker says for payload vs the website. It is a yellow sticker usually on the driver door or jam.

I agree that Ram has the nicest interior and ride as well as best electronic toys. The 8 - speed transmission is also nice.

/ EcoDiesel, A Maiden Voyage #29  
I believe you are correct, but I do not have the diesel, I have the 5.7L Hemi in my truck.

Yes, This thread is about the 3.0 diesel, and that is what my comments were about.

/ EcoDiesel, A Maiden Voyage #30