eHydro vs PowrReverser

/ eHydro vs PowrReverser #21  
In the past I ALWAYS voted PWR Reverser because of power loss. Then I bought a new 4720 CAB with eHydro (only option with cab) and I cant work it hard enough to lose power at 66hp... Ehydro works really good with HP behind it...

^^^^^^^pretty much my experience too.

/ eHydro vs PowrReverser
Thanks a TON for all the thoughts!
My 40 year old Ford 4500 backhoe has the shuttle, and it is fine, but it sounds like the eHydro is the way to go. My concerns were not the power loss as much as the 'breakage factor'. I read another thread comparing fixing a clutch to fixing a hydro, and it was pretty much a wash.

"fools rush in, where farmers fear to tread."

/ eHydro vs PowrReverser #23  
1ID, I am not argueing which is better as both have their fine points. Just taking issue with you forming an opinion about a transmission you haven't experience with. You are forming your opinion of an ehydro around your experiences with a Mahindra hydro. Glad you like your PR tranny.:)

Edward S., The OP is considering a 3320, I hope he isn't intent on doing alot of field work with it. Your 5085 Canopy with PR tranny is a nice looking field tractor.:thumbsup:

Yes it is a great tractor :drool: just a bit loud. I can cruise 21 MPH on the road full throttle :thumbsup:

/ eHydro vs PowrReverser #24  
jenkinsph, no issue taken, and you are right I never did try an Ehydro. What I did notice with an Ehydro was more electrical systems all around.When working the father in laws Mahindra in hilly terrain it was shuddering. We were later told that we should have used a lower range. Only problem was I was just backing up a hill empty, and I was not in the top road range. A Hydro tranny just doesnt feel very positive to me. kinda like a jet boat. My 3320 has done a super job. I am wondering about your field work comment and what you mean by that. So far pulling a 16" two bottom plow in clay, 6 foot disking with 2 railroad rails attached for weight, and tilling with a 60" Howard 1000 plus pound rotovator has not run me out of power. I know all things have thier limit but so far I have been very impressed with the 3320. As convienent as the Powreverser is I just dont see any reason for the Ehydro. My lawn tractor has one and it's been fine just for me doesnt belong on something your planning on working hard. I guess in retrospect I should not have responded to the post as I have not tried the Ehydro specifically.

/ eHydro vs PowrReverser #26  
jenkinsph, no issue taken, and you are right I never did try an Ehydro. What I did notice with an Ehydro was more electrical systems all around.When working the father in laws Mahindra in hilly terrain it was shuddering. We were later told that we should have used a lower range. Only problem was I was just backing up a hill empty, and I was not in the top road range. A Hydro tranny just doesnt feel very positive to me. kinda like a jet boat. My 3320 has done a super job. I am wondering about your field work comment and what you mean by that. So far pulling a 16" two bottom plow in clay, 6 foot disking with 2 railroad rails attached for weight, and tilling with a 60" Howard 1000 plus pound rotovator has not run me out of power. I know all things have thier limit but so far I have been very impressed with the 3320. As convienent as the Powreverser is I just dont see any reason for the Ehydro. My lawn tractor has one and it's been fine just for me doesnt belong on something your planning on working hard. I guess in retrospect I should not have responded to the post as I have not tried the Ehydro specifically.

My comment about the field tractor was because for heavy field tillage a Power Reverser on a larger tractor is appropriate. The OP is inquiring about a small compact tractor which in most cases is used to perform different tasks.
My lawnmower (X749) has a hydro too, but it isn't in the league of an ehydro. My 4520 with auto throttle works fantastic, you should really get a test drive to understand the differences, all hydro trannies are not the same.

For those that seem to think that gears are the only answer for heavy loads then why are freight trains set up diesel electric? Very common to have an EMD engine powering a generator which in turn drives traction motors. A large part of the reason is control of the applied power to the ground or in this case rails. While the trains are using an electric medium to accomplish this the hydrostatic tractors are using a fluid medium.

Last edited:
   / eHydro vs PowrReverser #27  
Much depends upon the types of work you plan to tackle with your tractor.

I've owned a synchro gear tractor (now called a SyncShuttle type tranny) and eHydro. A new, PowrReverser tractor will hopefully be in the yard in the next couple months.

Nonetheless, precise (zero error situations) - eHydro. Bush hogging, rototilling (field work) - PowrReverser.

That said, my youngest son and wife hated driving my gear tractor and love the eHydro.

It's really easier to use and when working the tractor you can better focus on the job at hand without concentrating as much on "gear jammin' and clutch slappin"!

My $0.02 - eHydro.

AKfish

/ eHydro vs PowrReverser #28  
I too have used both. And I can honestly say, I've never needed the extra 1.75 h.p. loss the eHydro has. You don't miss something that was never there! And my eHydro wheels are engaged just as tightly with the ground as the power reverser ever was. Just like the power reverser, it spins when you pull hard. I like the eHydro for getting back into tight corners with the loader, or rear blade, as you can carefully ease as slow or fast as you want. When doing field work, set the cruise control and away ya go! If you have the extra thousand, it's money well spent.:)

/ eHydro vs PowrReverser #30  
eHydro is great for digging post holes! I've did it with my friends 4520.