Ethanol Free Gas

/ Ethanol Free Gas #151  
My F-150 is a 2012 with the 5.0 engine. The only thing that's failed on my since buying it brand new is the starter. That went out last year. The guy who shoots the hogs on my land owns an Auto Repair business. He had my truck towed to his place and installed the new starter that same day. He said that Ford has a wacky circuit breaker issue that they bypasses with a bigger breaker because it also connects to the fuel pump. I hope I remembered that correctly.
Looks like your 5.0 has the driver module I was thinking of (below).

Less an issue your way, but up here, those factory units rot, as they are under the truck, outside of the tank. I think what they are doing is instead of the fuel pump running @ max pressure o/p in the tank, then regulating with a mech regulator @ fuel-rail, they drive the pump in the tank with variable voltage.

Talk to your hunter/wrench guy... I've never had to diagnose one of those variable-speed pump circuits. Up here, those driver modules tend to rot off the truck, so that's a hard-stop, easy to detect for the people I know who've had it fail.

If there is still a test-port on the fuel-rail, that is probably a first-check item....

Rgds D.

1703350198036.png

/ Ethanol Free Gas
Thanks, I'm going to ask him about it.

/ Ethanol Free Gas #153  
Eddie I’ve read stories about how they have tested big rigs (18 wheelers) for fuel mileage improvements with add ons. I think this includes things such as aerodynamic aids, fuel additives etc. They have two identical rigs that have been carefully matched as identical through testing. They drive them in real world conditions at the same time. Then they test something, say xyz brand of aerodynamic aid. I assume this is how the aerodynamic aids you see on trucks has come about. It includes very precise ways of measuring fuel.

My point is it’s almost impossible for an individual to make any conclusions about fuel mileage in a fairly short period of time.

/ Ethanol Free Gas #154  
My point is it’s almost impossible for an individual to make any conclusions about fuel mileage in a fairly short period of time.
That's why I don't consider having an idea of the mileage a given vehicle gets until after having at least a year's worth of hand calculated numbers.

After two years I think I have a good enough basis, and after five I know what mileage it gets.

After all, I can make the Lie-O-Meters read anything from five to 90 mpg simply by resetting them at the time of my liking.

Someone I know is often proud of his displayed instant mileage readings, but his photos are almost always taken while on a long grade going downhill. Interestingly enough, he keeps meticulous records of when, where, and how much fuel he adds, including the cost...but not the odometer readings. So, he doesn't know his actual mileage. Or doesn't want to know.

/ Ethanol Free Gas #155  
If memory serves the nearest WA locations are often on Reservation Land?
In southeast WA Coleman oil locations and Maverick stations have non ethanol pumps. There are others but I know for sure of those two.

/ Ethanol Free Gas #156  
When I buy E0 for the mowers I top off my truck tank with it also. Last week I bought 5 gals for the mowers and topped off at $4.03 per gallon. To me that is pretty high considering Regular gas at Costco is $2.88.

/ Ethanol Free Gas
We're hovering right around $3 a gallon right now for Regular with Ethanol. It's gone up .20 cents a gallon in the last two weeks.

I've mowed three times so far this year and I'm about out of Ehanal free gas, so it's going to be interesting to see what that costs when I buy some during the week.

The eclipse is freaking everyone out here, so that's gonna drive up prices too. Crazy how the cities and politicians are in a panic over it. I'm not sure if I believe them about so many people coming here to see it, or if they are just being typical nut jobs, and over reacting, so they can brag about doing something.

The local news is telling everyone to stock up on food and fill up your gas tanks before the weekend. It doesn't make any sense to me, but if everyone else is in a panic, it's smart to stock up. I learned that during the great toilet paper shortage!!

/ Ethanol Free Gas #159  
The eclipse is freaking everyone out here, so that's gonna drive up prices too. Crazy how the cities and politicians are in a panic over it. I'm not sure if I believe them about so many people coming here to see it, or if they are just being typical nut jobs, and over reacting, so they can brag about doing something.

The local news is telling everyone to stock up on food and fill up your gas tanks before the weekend. It doesn't make any sense to me, but if everyone else is in a panic, it's smart to stock up. I learned that during the great toilet paper shortage!!
I just don't get the hysteria over the eclipse. All the stocking up around here is more connected with Easter celebrations and store closings on Sunday.

Saw somewhere that a property owner on 281 had a sign up for parking to watch the eclipse in his field at $200 per car. Good for him if he can get it. But I won't be paying for the privlege.

/ Ethanol Free Gas #160  
Saw somewhere that a property owner on 281 had a sign up for parking to watch the eclipse in his field at $200 per car.
That’s crazy. I’m surprised people are so bold to publicly advertise what is sure to be large amounts of unreported income like that.
Maybe I worry too much. I’d wake up fearing the city or someone local with the IRS would take notice