Ethics on clearing neighbor's drive ways and private lane

/ Ethics on clearing neighbor's drive ways and private lane #31  
A dozen home baked cookies will get you a lot in return.

Or even a smile, wave and thank you.

/ Ethics on clearing neighbor's drive ways and private lane #32  
Around here the land is zoned agricultural and minimum lot size is 20 acres. Most everybody has some means of clearing their own property/driveway. Plus, my insurance does not cover my tractor off my property. Many years ago I cleared a neighbors driveway and smashed a little $4.95 Wallmart solar yard light. Never heard the end of that situation. That tore it - clear your own stuff.

Before I would get involved with clearing public roads or neighbors driveway - check with your insurance company. Then if it sits well with you - go discuss the situation with the neighbors. Working on your property vs working off your property are two completely different animals.

i dont clear public roadways , I set my plow blade on the truck 2 inches off the ground , I am just moving snow out of MY way . For 2 reasons ,first I am not plowing I am constantly digging myself out , Second , manholes when you hit them they can tear up a blade , I hate breaking things doing free stuff

/ Ethics on clearing neighbor's drive ways and private lane #33  
You already know the right answer- if not liking the job, quit. No one asked you to do it; no one seems to care that you're doing it - you're not pleased with the neighbor's attitudes, so stop doing it. They have no reason to change anything- only YOU can take control of the situation. So do it, or not, you have the power to control the outcome.

You know the right answer!

/ Ethics on clearing neighbor's drive ways and private lane #34  
I have a tendency to go out of my way to often to help people. That said I enjoy most any excuse to get some tractor time and a break from the wife and kids. Usually I use snow plowing to get me a couple hours away. I live on a 1/2 mile dirt road and am part of a home owners association. We have a contracted plow company that takes care of plowing the main road in but they tend to not keep the snow plowed back wide enough and leave snow piles at the intersections. I plow 22 driveways and 7 roads with a company truck and am super picky about doing a good clean up job. It pisses me off coming home after a long storm of plowing so I end up going out with the tractor to push the snow back where it belongs. I also go around to a few of my neighbors ones who have become friends and I use my box blade to drag away the snow banks at the ends of their drive ways. It's more or a you scratch my back, I scratch your sorta thing. All in all like others have said, I do it because I'm having fun playing on the tractor but at the end of the day, any routine, unwanted or out out of the way plow jobs don't get done for free.

/ Ethics on clearing neighbor's drive ways and private lane #35  
I do the driveway of the 82 yo Korean War vet across the street. He never asks me to do it and always says thanks. Just one Vet helping another.

/ Ethics on clearing neighbor's drive ways and private lane #36  
I have much the same situation. I'm at the end d of a 1/2 mile private road. The township used to snowplow it, but quit doing it. My neighbor (also at the end of the road) has a truck and a plow. He didn't want to be 100% obligated (i.e. responsible if he was out of town), but does a good job. I pass out letters and envelopes asking the neighbors of $25 - $35 each (for the whole season) to cover his expenses. Initially, it took a couple of attempts with some, but they have come to realize what a bargain it is. I pay the fee for the widow. In big storms, I help do the driveways of those who don't seem to have a plan.

In the spring through fall, I maintain the driveway with a pony grader and a road drag. I used to do that for free, but after having to do an extensive rebuild of the drag, I asked for $25 donations. I said I wouldn't keep any of the money, but instead use it to buy more gravel for the road. After the first year, it went from donations to an annual spring "bill". I now have them pretty well trained. My requests have everyone's name on them with their name circled, so they can see everyone is pitching in.

Before I did either, I talked with about 3/4 of the neighbors and told them what I was thinking. And yes, they were the ones I thought would most likely go along with the plan. Peer pressure and common sense took care of the rest.

I have good neighbors, but human nature still bemuses me. It is surprising how many times a neighbor will drive around a blown tree, somehow expecting it will magically be removed :>)

/ Ethics on clearing neighbor's drive ways and private lane #37  
I do the driveway of the 82 yo Korean War vet across the street. He never asks me to do it and always says thanks. Just one Vet helping another.

Thumbs up.

/ Ethics on clearing neighbor's drive ways and private lane #38  
I would gladly help that guy any day. It is the ungrateful people that the OP is referring to are the ones I don't help.

/ Ethics on clearing neighbor's drive ways and private lane #39  
Generally speaking, people that live where they can expect snow, should look after the matter. Unprecedented snowfalls, emergencies or sickness are a different matter. As for old age. Tough call. Some of these seniors are as cheap as they come. You could even argue that they don't know how little money is worth these days, but hey they just bought a new car!

/ Ethics on clearing neighbor's drive ways and private lane #40  
Luckily all of our neighbors are super cool. I enjoy plowing and grading the road, and while look for nothing in return, always seem to get something. More vegetables than I can eat from one couple, and the other day the neighbor dropped off a dozen eggs and a frozen chicken from his farm- way cool! :)