Ethics on clearing neighbor's drive ways and private lane

/ Ethics on clearing neighbor's drive ways and private lane #41  
Stop plowing them out and see what happens. I would bet after the first time they have to pay a contractor they will see things in a different light!

/ Ethics on clearing neighbor's drive ways and private lane #42  
I have two that are disabled. The one is an excellent baker, she gives me goodies every time I clean her out. The other is a senior and disabled, he gets insulted (as I would too) if I don't charge him something. He pays me $20.oo/month and nothing in December, my choice. The post office insists that it is our responsibility to keep the group box at the end of the road cleared of snow. I do that for nothing other than mail delivery. It is an extra 300' I have to travel, big deal. The mail lady has offered many time to bring parcels and packages right up to the house. I tell her no. Her vehicle doesn't have tow hooks front and back, so if she were to get stuck in my driveway a lot of people would be inconvenienced. I have one other that pays me $300.oo/season. That 300 pays for the fuel for the whole winter for everybody. Even if I didn't get the 300 I would still do the rest.

/ Ethics on clearing neighbor's drive ways and private lane #43  
I plow snow in the winter to make a living, and I will not do something for free. It takes your time, fuel, and wear on your machine for nothing..... As soon as you are on someone's property with your machine are you covered with insurance? property damage? If you don't plow the road what happens if there is a fire or medical emergency?? Who are they going to point the finger at because it wasn't cleared. I hate to be a glass half empty guy on this subject but when you are the one with all the risk I would be getting paid. Just my thoughts

/ Ethics on clearing neighbor's drive ways and private lane #44  
I agree that you need to have a neighborhood meeting and discuss it.

I only work for free for family.

Everyone else including friends pays. That dont always mean cash either. Sometimes it lending a hand in the garage, pouring concrete, stopping by with a case a beer, letting me borrow a tool, etc. Most friends and closer neighbors, its pretty informal. We help each other out when needed. And its not like anyone is trying to keep "score" as to who owes who what.

Those that you never talk to, never offer to help you out, and for all indications is a complete stranger....why are you doing it for free.

Again, set up a neighbor hood meeting and discuss things. Those neighbors have no idea how you feel. For all they know, you just enjoy getting out and doing it. And why in the world would they call someone else to come in and do it when they know you do it and assume you enjoy it?

And good idea to inquire on insurance. Thats something I already have so dont worry about. I think my "landscaper" policy with snowplowing addition is only ~$500-$600/year. So get a quote on that, figure an average time and fuel you spend per year on average. Then add a reasonable little bit for yourself. Divide that by the 12 houses. If they dont like it, dont sweat it, do your drive and forget the rest as you dont need the headache.

/ Ethics on clearing neighbor's drive ways and private lane #45  
I agree that you need to have a neighborhood meeting and discuss it.

I only work for free for family.

Everyone else including friends pays. That dont always mean cash either. Sometimes it lending a hand in the garage, pouring concrete, stopping by with a case a beer, letting me borrow a tool, etc. Most friends and closer neighbors, its pretty informal. We help each other out when needed. And its not like anyone is trying to keep "score" as to who owes who what.

Those that you never talk to, never offer to help you out, and for all indications is a complete stranger....why are you doing it for free.

Again, set up a neighbor hood meeting and discuss things. Those neighbors have no idea how you feel. For all they know, you just enjoy getting out and doing it. And why in the world would they call someone else to come in and do it when they know you do it and assume you enjoy it?

And good idea to inquire on insurance. Thats something I already have so dont worry about. I think my "landscaper" policy with snowplowing addition is only ~$500-$600/year. So get a quote on that, figure an average time and fuel you spend per year on average. Then add a reasonable little bit for yourself. Divide that by the 12 houses. If they dont like it, dont sweat it, do your drive and forget the rest as you dont need the headache.

/ Ethics on clearing neighbor's drive ways and private lane #46  
Sometimes the neighbors don't even know that you have plowed the road. The folks on a road near my cottage have a contract with the local contractor to plow it. But sometimes he's late day or so, and if I am on my ATV with the plow attached, I will simply zoom down the road and do it. Goes real fast, and it's lots of fun, so I don't even talk to anybody about it, and the cottagers probably assume it was the contractor. I've often wondered what the contractor thinks on those occasions, when he arrives to do his job, and finds that the road is already plowed!

/ Ethics on clearing neighbor's drive ways and private lane #47  
Sounds like someone just got their feelings hurt because they didn't get the praise they would like. Perhaps that's the wrong reason to be plowing the road. If you simply like to help others, continue. If you need something in return you'd be better off to just quit doing it. You'll only be disappointed.

Last edited:
   / Ethics on clearing neighbor's drive ways and private lane #48  
Last edited:
   / Ethics on clearing neighbor's drive ways and private lane #49  
This post is a bit different than how big is your snow plow or blower :thumbsup:, more so I'm wondering how other tractor owners use or not use their resources to help others. This may say this is my first post but Ive been a member since 2005 in the Kioti forum as 7mmrum, unfortunately the email I used at the time of creation was a work email for which I company I no longer work for anymore. So I cannot reset that old account. Now that this fluff is out of the way.

So my question to all of you is what you feel right about helping out others in your neighborhood?

Let me provide the use case. I live in a small neighborhood of 5 to 10 acre lots the road we live on has 12 home sites and is not state maintained; maybe 1/8 to 1/4 mile long. I have lived here for over 10 years and the only one with adequate or that matter any snow removal equipment. There is no HOA for snow removal on this private lane. So each year I have cleared the private feeder road to the best of my ability with my tractor using a front snow plow or the bucket. Thought it was a kind gesture, more so in the beginning was to see how effective my new toy is. As each year would pass I would see a few families shoveling out and so I pushed some snow out of the way to their driveway to their house, I mean a few minutes of me pushing snow saves them and hour of back breaking work. So on average I clear about 4-5 other driveways in addition to the private lane every year or when we have something substantial.

Each year I get disheartened or cynical with the fact that folks don't take my time/work to clear the road or their driveways for them so they can get out to the state maintained road. I mean I'm the second house on this line of as I said 12 homes. So I can clearly screw the folks beyond my residence by simply clearing myself up to the main road...... well the rest of you are on your own. Each I year I get less and less "thank you's" or even come out of the house to wave; and rarely does anyone offer up a few bucks for at least fuel. These home sites are in the neighborhood of 400k to 600k, so it isn't a lack of extra cash for them.

This last storm "jonas" which in the my area dumped about 30+ inches of the stuff and honestly a bit much for my tractor and the work involved.. As you guys all well know there is a quite a cost to purchasing a tractor, operating costs, buying chains for the tires, a plow or snow blower, the stuff really adds up. Now we do use our tractors for other farm related uses, not as if it is a dedicated snow mover that sits 10 months of the year.

So I'm curious on the others that are out their in a similar situation as what you do.

- do you tell them sorry
- do it for free
- charge them a flat fee / hourly fee - if so what is it
- or in similar situation do you clear yourself out then your done
Drive right on by . OK I see are close to the outlet road .If you started this as being a good neighbor with a new tractor , fine . Now it is not so much fun ? Now it is something you have to get done ? If it is not working , quit doing it .

/ Ethics on clearing neighbor's drive ways and private lane #50  
Those who give can take it away. Take it away if it's bothering you. Then see what happens. Sounds like you are spoiling your neighbors.