F3680 slope capacity?

/ F3680 slope capacity? #1  

2manyrocks

I have 5-6 acres of hillside some with 25 degree slopes to mow. Local kubota dealer has a 2012 F3680 4wd with 2300 hours for $9,000. Apparently, I can get a 63" Perruzo flail mower for about $6,000.

Wondering if this is something that would work or should I put that money towards a Ventrac or Power Trac instead?

/ F3680 slope capacity? #2  
I have 5-6 acres of hillside some with 25 degree slopes to mow. Local kubota dealer has a 2012 F3680 4wd with 2300 hours for $9,000. Apparently, I can get a 63" Perruzo flail mower for about $6,000.

Wondering if this is something that would work or should I put that money towards a Ventrac or Power Trac instead?
I have one and it’ll climb a wall. It’ll also descend steep slopes safely. Excellent traction up & down steep hills. Sideways on a hill is also stable, but it will tend to “crab” a bit, requiring steering adjustments.

1701030281962.jpeg

Take a picture of it and post it.

/ F3680 slope capacity? #3  
I think Perruzo has 72 inch flail mowers ($6500) for Kubota F models, 63 inch mower is kind of small in my opinion for 5 - 6 acre area.

/ F3680 slope capacity?
My only thought was the smaller flail would be more stable on a hillside? This is a hillside field that will grow up in brush if I don't keep it cut. It won't be maintained as a lawn. I was also thinking a smaller flail would be able to handle taller material?

There's another thread in which one TBN member said grass over 12" tall tends to wreck the seals on the wheels? Would this still be the case if the material is first cut with a flail mower?

This thread seems to indicate a 3680 will handle a slope similar to mine. F3080 MOWING ON HILLSIDE VIDEO

/ F3680 slope capacity?
HST pump was replaced last year. Prior owner used it to mow farm hillsides. Should I be concerned about the machine being near the end of its expected life with this kind of hard use?

/ F3680 slope capacity? #6  
Pump being replaced is great. Thats kind of like having a new transmission. Check the oil and coolant. to see if there’s anything off about them. Check the air filter. This is a N/A machine, so no turbo to worry about.
I don’t know how hard/how many hours you plan to use it?

/ F3680 slope capacity?
I would like to cut a couple of 5-6 acre hillsides that so far measure between 18 and 28 degrees in slope. It will be all hillside mowing and I think will be pretty hard on the transmission.

/ F3680 slope capacity? #8  
I would like to cut a couple of 5-6 acre hillsides that so far measure between 18 and 28 degrees in slope. It will be all hillside mowing and I think will be pretty hard on the transmission.

It’s really not. If you run it in low range, it’ll scoot right up the hill. Those Kubota HST’s are pretty tough. Ask the dealer to let you demo it.

/ F3680 slope capacity? #9  
If you still debating on suitable machine, I have both a F-2880 w/60" deck and 3680 w/72" deck on our 4 acre VERY steep property for last 11 years. The property was very overgrown (heavy grass, not woody brush) when we bought it but was able to fully clear with the stock 60" Kubota deck although I did consider a flail. Both these machines had been ex-municipal, so had hard and abusive early years. 2300 hours on that machine not high at all for these units built for heavy commercial/industrial use.

Some mods / Alterations / Notes:
> 3" wheel spacers on main wheels
> Fluid-fill main tires (new turf, but bar better if can find)
> Double rear counter-weight
> Disable seat switch - you do NOT want engine to quit on steep hill!
> Always wear seatbelt - a bike helmet even on steepest terrain
> Wrap-around safety googles & ear protection
> Mower set 4" or higher
> Mow up/down on steepest
> Use Diff-lock on steepest (going up or down)
> 4WD Lock only when going straight as needed
> Lift mower deck for more traction on first pass as needed
> Clean radiator and airfilter often

After living on this coastal Tasmanian property for 12 years, my Kubota F-series are the best machines with local support/parts in my opinion. I had a PowerTrac 1845 for years on a very steep Colorado property with much tree work and snow removal to be done, but no mowing. It was a great machine for that land and circumstances (custom grapple, forks, hyd winch, hyd chipper, hyd 72" snow blower, fire tank, etc), but never even had a mower for it... considered shipping it downunder, but no regrets.

IMHO, a 63" flail would be fine size-wise if you need the capability for heavy woody brush. Good Luck!!! Cheers, Rip

/ F3680 slope capacity?
I'm still evaluating what to do.

After starting this thread, I had the hillsides mulched by a forestry mulcher. I am now better able to see the actual land contours, but still need to measure some of the slope changes again.

One additional consideration is that there are some piles of mulched material that are pretty deep in places. It will make for some rough mowing until the mulch rots.

Would it be better to change the main drive tires from turf to bar tread or use chains?

I have considered buying a PT 1445 with a brush mower, but that would cost $40,000 new.

If you have any additional perspective as to the PT versus the F3680, I'd be very much interested in your thoughts.