F3680 slope capacity?

/ F3680 slope capacity? #11  
G'Day.... Can understand some of your dilemma.... I got my PT-1845 and F-series used and the price was right.... they are way too $$$$ for personal use IMO.

The PT was built like a tank, 45 HP Deutz engine plenty of power and durable like Kubota. Very stable with minimal ground clearance but full skid-plate underside, so scraping bottom not a problem, but can (and did) get hung up on rock or stumps... no worries, just drag it off.

As you are near the factory, no worries on parts or real service, but you seem to be familiar with other machinery. I was mostly winching (hyd Warn running off the PTO circuit), grappling, chipping, etc on 20 to 35 deg rocky hillsides in between standing trees. After too many rock-cut tires I foam filled them for durability and even more stability and traction. (Fluid filling better for grass/dirt traction and stability if no need the cut protection.) I also spaced out all 4 single wheels for more side-hill stability. I have no experience with the PT hyd mower decks. My snow blower was a 72" from SkidSteerSolutions with my own mounting plate. Articulated has its pros & cons.... but overall quite good.

The F-Series is a factory-built Frankenstein of B and BX parts with somewhat lower CG (smaller tires) than the B/BX that maneuvers like a fork-lift.... have to always be aware of the ass end when near fences, trees, buildings. With what I mentioned above, they are very well suited for my steep paddocks with no (more) rocks or stumps. The 60" deck (came on the F-2880) probably better suited for tight maneuvering or undulating terrain than the 72". I did fabricate double-ended skidbars of 3/4' solid round for deck ends to minimise digging in in dips, and couple fixed anti-scalp wheels in rear center of mower deck for the humps.

I recently made up (could not find right size down here!) set of cross-link tire chains for main drives, but check clearance with deck corner anti-scalp wheels if you do. Only use them on the steepest sections when grass very dry = slippery.... ordinary cheap chain as only limited use on grass.... Bonzer!

Overall, prefer the F-series for my primarily mowing purposes here, but the PT was great for what I had to deal with in the Rockies. For bit more versatility (since my only machines here) I fabricated a manual tipping carry-all (like made for 3pt hitch), but would do it hyd if do over again. Also forks and dedicated 60 gal fire tank w/Honda and 12V pumps/hoses. Was going to sell the F-28 after I got the F-36 set up right, but worth more to me as full back-up and everything is interchangeable!

Good Luck!!! Cheers, Rip

Either should work for you.... hard to say which would be best.

/ F3680 slope capacity?
I'm posting a couple of pictures after the forestry mulching was done. The operator told me where the slope felt the worst to him. One of those areas measures 32.7 degrees near the base of the hillside.

Kubota doesn't publish any official slope rating that I know of. I think I recall that one TBN members posted he had mowed a grassy lawn slope was 27.4 degrees.

There is now about 4 inches of mulch material on the surface. Additionally, the mulching left behind some shattered tree residue including shattered nubs of tree stumps.

Starting to wonder if this is just too much for a F3680 with a finish mower and turf tires in terms of steepness and rough field mowing conditions?

stubble left.jpgmulched hillside slope pic.jpg

/ F3680 slope capacity? #13  
I'm posting a couple of pictures after the forestry mulching was done. The operator told me where the slope felt the worst to him. One of those areas measures 32.7 degrees near the base of the hillside.

Kubota doesn't publish any official slope rating that I know of. I think I recall that one TBN members posted he had mowed a grassy lawn slope was 27.4 degrees.

There is now about 4 inches of mulch material on the surface. Additionally, the mulching left behind some shattered tree residue including shattered nubs of tree stumps.

Starting to wonder if this is just too much for a F3680 with a finish mower and turf tires in terms of steepness and rough field mowing conditions?

View attachment 841177View attachment 841178
Is a clean up of the shreddings possible with a landscape rake?
That doesn’t look as steep as some of my steeper clients places, but I wouldn’t want to run anything better than a set of junk mower blades through that debris.
Clean up into piles with landscape rake and burn?

/ F3680 slope capacity?
The company that did the mulching has a root rake grapple for their Cat 299d and might possibly do it, but I didn't ask them about doing it. I personally wouldn't want to get my MX5200 on that slope with a rake.

Since the F3680 finish mower blades don't pivot like brush cutter blades, I'm also concerned that both the blades and the mower spindles could get bent.

I'm also not sure about ground clearance in some areas where the mulch got piled up deeper.

Most of the wood that was mulched is poplar, gum or elm.

/ F3680 slope capacity? #15  
So long as any stumps are ground down to near ground level and no significant rocks, either of my F-Series would handle that easily with Kubota deck at about 4" and turf tires.... even without my loaded tires, 3" wheel spacers, etc.

The Kubota blades are mounted to spindles with cupped washers to let them slip if hit rock or stump.... still try to avoid.... should have no issue going over the mulched material if no really Big chunks. Blades and spindles are pretty tough, and outboard blades also belt driven, so only center blade gearbox driven by PTO, and even it is internal clutch driven.

No ground clearance issues.... I would double the rear counterweight as ass end is quite light with only the 50Kg standard. The other mods I have made mainly provide additional stability and peace-of-mind on my significantly steeper sections.

Happy New Year and Good Luck.... Rip

/ F3680 slope capacity?
Happy New Year to you.

/ F3680 slope capacity? #17  
I’d also want to clean up those chips as they will soak up all the moisture off the ground, inhibiting grass roots from growing.

/ F3680 slope capacity?
Sounds like work. One thing I don't want is to get erosion started on the hillside. What would you suggest? Do I leave them this winter and remove them in early Spring when the grass would start growing again?

/ F3680 slope capacity? #19  
I don’t know your location.
Raking the debris downhill should be fairly easy. Gravity will help.

/ F3680 slope capacity?
Middle Tennessee. The grass normally will start growing March-April depending on the weather. This hillside tends to be wet in the Spring because the hill shades the slope from the sun in the winter so it doesn't tend to dry out.