Fair price for welding work?

/ Fair price for welding work? #21  
50 bucks if it all takes less than an hour and find out what kind of beer he drinks. Make sure it's on ice. Throw a couple burgers on the grill, you will have a friend for life. Next time he may come do it for nothing or when you offer him money, he will ask for beer. Eddie was correct about most welders. :)
If mig is good enough for the factory to weld your fremes, it's good enough here.

/ Fair price for welding work? #22  
Saying most welders are drunks is not a good thing to say is it?

Kinda like saying most people who have a tractor and no more than 5 acres of land are gay?

Anyways,I would not assume he had a mig,I would assume he had a stick.

In either case though it is the welder who makes the difference,nothing wrong with the strength of a mig weld,IF the person using it knows what he's doing,,that also goes with stick.

/ Fair price for welding work? #23  
Just another thought on payment. The time he gets there and starts the welding might look like the time he's started working, but in reality, he started working when he did anything to his vehicle to come over there. Whether it was to load some tools on his truck, or remove another job that he's been carrying around. His time started when he started doing stuff to prepair for your job. While this is built into a guys fees when he comes out to do a job, it's usually not thought about when a friend comes over to do you a favor. Just think of what it takes to bring your tractor over to mow a friends field. It might only be two hours of mowing, but if you spent an hour loading a strapping the tractor down, drove half an hour to get there, then drove half an hour to get home and another hour to unload and clean up your tractor, that's an extra 3 hours of work that you put into that 2 hour mowing.

Whiel $50 an hour is a fair price to pay, remember there is at least another hour of getting there and going home that is part of his day when helping you out. I would think $100 for his time would be a reasonable offer for what he's going to do.

Eddie

/ Fair price for welding work? #24  
Just another thought on payment. The time he gets there and starts the welding might look like the time he's started working, but in reality, he started working when he did anything to his vehicle to come over there. Whether it was to load some tools on his truck, or remove another job that he's been carrying around. His time started when he started doing stuff to prepair for your job. While this is built into a guys fees when he comes out to do a job, it's usually not thought about when a friend comes over to do you a favor. Just think of what it takes to bring your tractor over to mow a friends field. It might only be two hours of mowing, but if you spent an hour loading a strapping the tractor down, drove half an hour to get there, then drove half an hour to get home and another hour to unload and clean up your tractor, that's an extra 3 hours of work that you put into that 2 hour mowing.

Whiel $50 an hour is a fair price to pay, remember there is at least another hour of getting there and going home that is part of his day when helping you out. I would think $100 for his time would be a reasonable offer for what he's going to do.Eddie
What if I owned the welder and the welder guy lived rite next door.?
What would that be worth?

/ Fair price for welding work? #25  
That depends on if you let a cell phone tower to be built without asking him what he thought about it. Could be very expensive.

/ Fair price for welding work?
Asking for a "test weld" is meaningless if the 'inspector' doesn't know what he is looking at.

I said I would ask him some questions(which I did by the way). I did not say I was going to ask for a test weld, that was a post from someone else.:p

His mig welder is a 110v with argon. He can bring a stick welder If I choose, but prefers to use the mig. I will let him show up and look at the project first. He may change his mind after seeing it....who knows. I've done all the grinding and have all material cut and ready. The more I think about it, maybe he ought to do it for free. After all, I'm sure he will be thinking "wow, nice tractor, you interested in doing some work over at my place?"

Last edited:
   / Fair price for welding work? #27  
What if I owned the welder and the welder guy lived rite next door.?
What would that be worth?

If you own the welder, it's time to get busy and learn how to use it.

Having the neighbor help you learn should cost you the same as having him do it.

/ Fair price for welding work? #28  
A certified welder in my area will make $30 an hour single hand (without a machine) so if you plan to pay him, that is what I would offer. IF he uses his equipment then it is at least $50 per hour for the welding time and 30 for travel time. I think it is good that you are even asking for fair payment rates. Many "neighbors" want you to burn $200 worth of consumables, work your tail off for 2-3 hours for free while admitting that the welding shop would charge them $50-100 per hour for this job. Then when you do ask them for money just to pay for the materials used, they get mad and wont speak to you. At least that is my personal experience. It is much better to get the fee agreed up front so no one has any surprises.
By the way didnt you say you have your own welder and grinders? Why not do it yourself. That is why they made grinders, for beginner welders. A grinder will clean up any bad or ugly welds fairly easily and if you never use your equipment, you'll never learn. Sounds like it will all be flat welding and that is the easiest kind.

/ Fair price for welding work? #29  
Well I figured he had a generator welder.
He wants to do it with 110 plug in mig,unless this is real thin stuff[or he really knows his stuff with a mig],you might want to reconsider.
Maybe you already said what it was you wanted welded,?
Also the fact that he wants to bring the mig rather than the stick[plug in],doesn't sound good to me either,[unless it is sheet metal].

/ Fair price for welding work? #30  
I have a 110v mig (linclon 3200HD from Home Depot) with a small exchangable bottle of gas. I have about $600 in it. I am wondering what kind of setup your guy is bringing, $500, $2000.....$200?

Anyway, you said he welds on the side for income and hobby. My first thought is you could trade some tractor time for the welding if you had a way to get your tractor there. My other thought is, why don't you ask him what a fair price would be since he does this more than you do. This is the first time (I assume) you have asked or had someone come over and weld for you, but hopefully this is not his first time doing it. Then with the info you have gotten on here you guys can come up with what's reasonable or fair. Then you don't have to worry about insulting him or over paying. It's not like you guys are secretely negotiating the price to try and get the best deal. Ask him for a rough or very rough idea of about what it would cost(adjustable once he gets to see the job). He is obviously willing to come over and do it and he doesn't even know how much he is going to make out of the deal. I say get the rough number from him, let him do it and then see if his work is satisfactory and then you can either go higher or lower than you expected depending on his work.

Heck for $50/hr to weld and $30/hr for travel, maybe I'll come down and do it. I have a welder ! You don't want to see my welds. I own a grinder and many grinding wheels.