Fair price for welding work?

/ Fair price for welding work?
I knew where the fella worked, but did not know what exactly he did. He works at Ford in the body shop. He welds the stuff that the automation misses or messes up. So I guess in reality he does do welding for a living. I know what he makes an hour there, I just left there about a year and a half ago.

I talked to him today and told him he just needs to come over and look at what I have before he decides what method to use. He is not the best over the phone so that explains part of this ongoing process. I know he welded up a boat trailer recently for a neighbor using the mig. He did say that if it ever breaks he will fix it free. I should know something tomorrow.

By the way didnt you say you have your own welder and grinders? Why not do it yourself. That is why they made grinders, for beginner welders. A grinder will clean up any bad or ugly welds fairly easily and if you never use your equipment, you'll never learn. Sounds like it will all be flat welding and that is the easiest kind.

I have the grinder and various wheels and the materials that will be needed. I don't have a welding machine.....yet:cool:

I have already done all the grinding that will be needed prior to welding. I will do all of the grinding after the welding also. All this guy needs to do is show up, burn rod and leave.

/ Fair price for welding work? #33  
Body shop=sheet metal,110 volt mig,what are you wanting to get welded?

If it ain't sheet metal,you guys might have a good time,hope it ain' t anything that could hurt somebody if it breaks.

Body shop=sheet metal,110 volt mig,what are you wanting to get welded?

If it ain't sheet metal,you guys might have a good time,hope it ain' t anything that could hurt somebody if it breaks.

Welding 1/4" angle to the top edge of my bucket which is 1/8". Also putting 5/16" tow hooks to the 1/4" angle. The angle will support a grapple.http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/kubota-owning-operating/135422-looking-bucket-reinforcement-advice-grapple.html Scroll down a few posts, you will find pics. The angle is NOT in any of the pics.

/ Fair price for welding work? #35  
... I really prefer a black car. besides the other two german mobiles only have like 25k and 40k miles on them.

Last edited by a moderator:
   / Fair price for welding work? #36  
Trust,I wouldn't want that done with a 110 volt mig,

Trust,I wouldn't want that done with a 110 volt mig,

To late for that.

He came over today to take a look. He seemed very confident the mig would be fine. He offered to bring the stick. I told him to use what he felt most comfortable with for this application. He went home got his 110v Lincoln 3500HD w/gas and industrial wire. In all, counting travel time, he had 3 hrs in it. We talked and messed around for 30 minutes of that. I gave him a $100 and he said "that's more than adequate". So, he seemed happy and I was happy with the work. I can't imagine that this is not going to be sufficient for the application. Besides he said if anything goes wrong he will fix it for free.....and I believe he would.

Notice the pic inside the bucket. You can see where the welds start and stop along the back side as it penetrated the 1/8" steel. It did not blow through, but you could see the pattern and it lost the paint. I'm putting the pics in my other thread concerning the reinforcement, rather than double post them.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/kubota-owning-operating/135422-looking-bucket-reinforcement-advice-grapple-3.html

Last edited:
   / Fair price for welding work? #38  
Did you preheat the grab hooks befor welding them on the angle? Did he weld the grab hooks with a mig also?