Famous horses and their riders...Trivia question

/ Famous horses and their riders...Trivia question
Ok, I got one. This just involves the horse though!

The New Zealand bred racehorse "Phar Lap" burned up the racetracks in Australia in the early 30's but died suddenly at age 5 after getting shipped to Menlo Park after winning a race at Agua Caliente.
The movie made about him in 1983 (my favorite horse movie btw) featured a big chestnut gelding named "Towering Inferno".

What is the bizarre and rather tragic irony that Phar Lap and the horse that portrayed him share?

Could it be that they both met an unnatural end...and that they shared the same pet name...."Bobby"?

/ Famous horses and their riders...Trivia question #22  
Could it be that they both met an unnatural end...and that they shared the same pet name...."Bobby"?

Well they both did meet an untimely end but they didn't die the same way. I don't know if Towering Inferno was called "Bobby" or not, but no, it's for another reason.

/ Famous horses and their riders...Trivia question #23  
Ok then.

Aristides

when? where? what?

/ Famous horses and their riders...Trivia question #24  
How many of these famous characters can you match up with the names of their horses? Some are historical figures, some are ficticious characters. Some had more than one horse, and one or two had a horse by the same name. Let's start with the horses:

Buckshot
Black Diamond
Buttermilk
Champion
Cincinatti
Diablo
Dollar
Duke
Dandruff
El alamein
Fury
Falcon
Joker
Loco
Old Buck
Papoose
Ring Eye
Raider
Silver
Silver Bullet
Scout
Traveler
Thunder
Topper
Trigger
Tarzan
Tony
White Flash
Whiskey
War Paint
White Wind

Now their riders:

Roy Rogers
Dale Evans
Hopalong Cassidy
Whip Wilson
Durango Kid
Lone Ranger
Tonto
Ronald Reagan
Matt Dillon
Gene Autry
Red Ryder
Little Beaver
Smiley Burnett
Leo "Pancho" Carillio
Duncan "Cisco Kid" Renaldo
Buster Crabbe
Buck Jones
Andy Devine
Lash LaRue
Guy "Wild Bill" Madison
Ken Maynard
Tom Mix
Tex Ritter
John Wayne
J.B. Books (John wayne, in the "Shootist")
General Robert E. Lee
U. S. Grant
Pat Buttram
Kirk Douglas (Lonely are the Brave)
Eddie Dean
Golden Arrow
Straight Arrow
4FictionFine. 4Real you would want Man O War.

Ok then.

Aristides

when? where? what?

First winner of the Kentucky Derby, 1875...rider was Oliver Lewis. Of course I had to Google the answer, but with an imposing name like that, and such a notable accomplishment, I thought it worthy of an answer.

/ Famous horses and their riders...Trivia question #26  
What is the bizarre and rather tragic irony that Phar Lap and the horse that portrayed him share?

Ok, I guess this was too obscure a question considering the horse was not part of American popular culture! :D

Anyway, Phar Lap's name is derived from the Thai word meaning "Lightning"

Towering Inferno, the horse that portrayed Phar Lap in the movie was killed by lightning while grazing in a paddock.

/ Famous horses and their riders...Trivia question #27  
First winner of the Kentucky Derby, 1875...rider was Oliver Lewis. Of course I had to Google the answer, but with an imposing name like that, and such a notable accomplishment, I thought it worthy of an answer.

OK, without google, what was Rowdy Yates' horse called?

I admittedly had to google it, but Shadow Fear was reputedly the name of Sitting Bull's horse, which was incidentally was a gift from Buffalo bill. As for Festus, is that a trick question? As I recall, he rode a mule; as did Sancho Panza (correction...Sancho Panza rode a donkey named "Dapple").

Anyone remember who, from high school literature fame, rode a horse named "Gunpowder"?
Gunpowder was ridden by none other than Ichabod Crane of "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow" fame.

Easy one : What was the horse's name Custer used at Little Big Horn ?
Did he survive (HORSE of course) ? If so where are his remains today ?

Boone

The knee jerk is "Comanche" but I don't think that was Custer's horse.

/ Famous horses and their riders...Trivia question #30  
The knee jerk is "Comanche" but I don't think that was Custer's horse.

Yes your rite I always thought or assumed he was, but upon further research he(Comanche) was part of the seventh.

Comanche was reputed to be the only survivor of the Little Bighorn, but quite a few Seventh Cavalry mounts survived, probably more than one hundred, and there was even a yellow bulldog. Comanche lived on another fifteen years, and when he died, he was stuffed and to this day remains in a glass case at the University of Kansas. So, protected from moths and souvenir hunters by his humidity-controlled glass case, Comanche stands patiently, enduring generation after generation of undergraduate jokes. The other horses are gone, and the mysterious yellow bulldog is gone, which means that in a sense the legend is true. Comanche alone survived.

from Wikipedia Boone