file speed?

/ file speed? #1  

ArlyA

Houghton MI (the Lake Superior snow belt) USA
Tractor
Polaris Boss 6x6 with pods (tracks) Center actuating lawn mower by Husky
You guys suggested getting some 5/32 diamond round files for a dremal type tool. Just tried one out today and seems to work quite well but my 2 speed dremel seem fast. What are you guys using to power these? Speed?
sawsharper50812.jpg

/ file speed? #2  
I run mine full tilt, all the time. I'm using the round abrasive stones, 6 mm ones if I recall correctly.

Last edited:
   / file speed? #3  
You guys suggested getting some 5/32 diamond round files for a dremal type tool. Just tried one out today and seems to work quite well but my 2 speed dremel seem fast. What are you guys using to power these? Speed?View attachment 815615

pick up the 4000 series and a quick chuck, its a game changer if you use your dremel a lot.

/ file speed?
I thought speed and heat would lessen the teeth tempering? Now that I think about it*, could use a drill to lessen my stone speed. *slow thinker

/ file speed? #5  
I thought speed and heat would lessen the teeth tempering? Now that I think about it*, could use a drill to lessen my stone speed. *slow thinker
I have always found the single or 2 speed dremels too fast or slow, the diamond burrs (I use the same ones) don't seem to care, ( I can cut right through anything with them regardless of pressure). That said the drills are too slow and awkward.. You can always try though

/ file speed? #6  
Gave up on that method long ago and if anyone wants my 'Oregon' 12 volt chain sharpener or the mounted stones and or the diamond ones, let me know. Ill give them to you, you pay the postage only.

I don't care how 'steady' you think you are, it's basically impossible to hold a consistent tooth angle, hand filing or doing it that way plus, it's impossible to sharpen the teeth with any consistency right and left hand side cutters and an imbalanced loop will always cut crooked.

Machine grinding is the only consistent way and the ONLY way to get balanced cutters on the left and right side. If you watch what you are doing, machine grinding will yield just as many resharpenings as hand filing or using a stone or diamond stone.

/ file speed? #7  
Simple file in correct sizes to me is easier and cheaper. I gave one of those things away after 1 try to see years back.

Then when you hit rocks or get cutters on chains all messed up some day.
Grinder will straighten everything right back up. Round grinder on wall in back ground stihl USG.

filegb.jpg

silveyx.jpg

/ file speed? #9  
The Oregon electric chain saw bench grinder is $199.99 at the moment. They had a like new unit for $154 so I bought that one, but will have to see what shape it's in when it gets here.

/ file speed? #10  
Machine grinding WILL overheat a tooth and contrary to what a person thinks, overheating a tooth DON'T take the temper out it HARDENS the tooth instead and renders hand filing impossible. Conversely, machine grinding with CBN wheel don't unless you get stupid with the amount of metal removed or 'reef' on the sharpener wheel when grinding because the aluminum rim of a CBN wheel pulls the heat away from the tooth and CBN wheels never need dressing for radius as well. The correct radius (gullet radius) is 'built into' the abrasive that is bonded to the outer diameter of the wheel and..the only thing you need to do with a CBN wheel (Cubic Boron Nitride) is clean it once in a while with the supplied (with the wheel) cleaning stick.

I gave ALL my stone wheels away long ago.