Buying Advice First CUT: Sizing and Used Options

/ First CUT: Sizing and Used Options
@motown you get a LOT more snow than I do. How much drive are you clearing with your back blade? I'm struggling to wrap my head around $2500 to move snow with a plow on the front...

/ First CUT: Sizing and Used Options #52  
@motown you get a LOT more snow than I do. How much drive are you clearing with your back blade? I'm struggling to wrap my head around $2500 to move snow with a plow on the front...

I clear my driveway which is about 200' and has parking spaces for about 7 cars. I also pack a 1/4 mile trail into the woods by turning the blade backwards and driving forwards. It's a walking trail, but my Jeep will ride on the surface once it's packed well.

Often I plow my neighbor's driveway also. Her's is much longer, about 1/4 mile. Last winter our biggest event was 14". I went out twice during the storm and once afterwards. They were predicting more snow, so I wanted to keep on top of it. If I'd known it'd stop at 14, I could have gone out once during and once after. To do my drive and hers with about 4-5" using only the back blade takes me about 40 minutes. I go fast, zip around and have a blast doing it. The last plowing after the storm ended I probably took about an hour and twenty minutes because I did push some banks back and tidied up a little.

I never used the loader during that storm. If I hadn't been able to go out during the storm, I probably would have had to put the blade on my Kubota which has AG tires and more weight. I don't think the New Holland with industrials could have done it. Not without a loader and chains on all four tires (I run them on the front only) anyway.

I inherited my back blade. Three of them actually. They are cheap, lightweight models. See better ones all the time on Craigslist for under $400. They've got other uses too, like light grading work, and packing my walking trail.

I'd strongly advise picking one up. Try it for a winter. If you don't like it, put it back on Craigslist and try the next most expensive option.

/ First CUT: Sizing and Used Options #53  
I converted an old Curtis truck plow to my SSQA;it has worked well.Choice you have with the FEL mounted plows;float the blade or float the FEL.I chose to float the blade and it works quite well for my uses.

Attachments

• L4240 HST ,curtis snow plow (Small).jpg
    L4240 HST ,curtis snow plow (Small).jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 125
@motown - you're making a lot of sense with that advice. I like the idea of a multitasker and watching a few folks move snow with a rear blade online helped me understand the speed one can run it.

I saw a 6 way rear blade at Everything Attachments that looks really interesting. Being able to offset the blade and move your windrows off the side of the drive looks promising (if it doesn't turn the tractor sideways). Price is still a fraction of a blower or front mounted blade, plus the other benefits of having a grader blade.

6 Way Deluxe Scrape Blade for Compact Tractors

They also have a front mounted snow system with hydraulic angle just around $2000. Far less expensive than anything else I've seen.

Compact Front Scrape Snow Blade with Optional Hydraulic Angle

This choice may just come down to what I can snag cheap on Craigslist and like you said, try it a season and if I don't like it, put it back.

For anyone who's moved from a rear blade to a front blade or blower, what made you switch?

/ First CUT: Sizing and Used Options #55  
I converted a 9' Western truck plow w/power angle to SSQA for the front of my tractor. Around $500 or so invested. Works great
I found a used 63" 2 stage rear blower in good condition for $825
HPIM1352.JPGHPIM1424.JPG

Great ride vince. I'll bet you look forward to snow with that rig.

/ First CUT: Sizing and Used Options #58  
I can't say that I've really had to deal with snow (only once did I do a little bit of removal to free up a car that was stuck in the driveway), but was wondering whether you couldn't turn around the backblade and run in reverse. I know that going in reverse with my box blade creates a much better surface: the tractor rides smooth and keep the boxblade more level.

If this is a possibility AND you have a cab, then maybe plow in reverse using a back-up camera system?

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/customization/316927-backup-camera-50-a.html

/ First CUT: Sizing and Used Options #59  
I can't say that I've really had to deal with snow (only once did I do a little bit of removal to free up a car that was stuck in the driveway), but was wondering whether you couldn't turn around the backblade and run in reverse. I know that going in reverse with my box blade creates a much better surface: the tractor rides smooth and keep the boxblade more level.

If this is a possibility AND you have a cab, then maybe plow in reverse using a back-up camera system?

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/customization/316927-backup-camera-50-a.html

You can do it, yes. I usually plow my whole drive going forward then turn the blade around and push the banks back in reverse.

There are a few problems with doing the whole thing in reverse. Namely that the three point is designed to be operated the other way. It's much easier to bend and break stuff if you're going backwards than forwards. Also, moving snow is different than soil. Snow is much lighter, and instead of leveling it, you want to get it gone. By going forwards, you can safely travel much faster and throw the snow quite a ways, which is what you want. Also, there's the visibility issue. Much easier and more fun to wind out the tractor, put down your blade and zip to the end of the drive than to try to do it going backwards.

/ First CUT: Sizing and Used Options #60  
@motown - you're making a lot of sense with that advice. I like the idea of a multitasker and watching a few folks move snow with a rear blade online helped me understand the speed one can run it.

I saw a 6 way rear blade at Everything Attachments that looks really interesting. Being able to offset the blade and move your windrows off the side of the drive looks promising (if it doesn't turn the tractor sideways). Price is still a fraction of a blower or front mounted blade, plus the other benefits of having a grader blade.

6 Way Deluxe Scrape Blade for Compact Tractors

They also have a front mounted snow system with hydraulic angle just around $2000. Far less expensive than anything else I've seen.

Compact Front Scrape Snow Blade with Optional Hydraulic Angle

This choice may just come down to what I can snag cheap on Craigslist and like you said, try it a season and if I don't like it, put it back.

For anyone who's moved from a rear blade to a front blade or blower, what made you switch?

That rear blade is exactly what I'm talking about. I'm not sure what tractor you'll be putting it on, but if you're primary use is snow, you can use a fairly wide blade. I'd have to check, but I think mine is a 7'. Might be 6, though. Remember, it will be angled dramatically, so your swath becomes much narrower than the width of your blade.

Personally, if I wanted a front blade like the one you show, I'd buy a blank SSQA plate and weld up a used truck plow to it. Just like Vince's. Should be under $1000.

Everything attachments is a great company by all reports. I've never done business with them, but that's only because my implement budget really only affords used stuff. Honestly, though, for a cheap back blade, look on Craigslist. If you can't find what you want, find a place that sells king Kutter stuff and get either a 6 or 7 foot blade. Just my .02