First Regen Experience

/ First Regen Experience #11  
I was getting all worried about regens and glad you put us at ease John, then I remembered my tractor is too old to regen. I want to be part of the new crowd so will have to start looking for a new tractor (this one with a cab)...

/ First Regen Experience #12  
Be honest, if the dealer had two brand new tractors, one with the emissions and one without, which would you choose?

I've bought over 20 new Kubotas from Steve Barlow. He knows more about tractors and Kubotas than I'll ever know. I'd ask him which one he would buy and that's the one I'd buy. That may sound evasive but with a "what if" question that's the only answer I can give. I never paid much attention to the "regen" opposers before buying because I didn't think it applied to me. I aquired an additional mostly wooded 28 acres and needed a heavier tractor and went to Barlows and told him I needed to trade my near new B2650 for a stronger and heavier tractor and he recommended the L3901. I rarely buy used so new was my only option. He did point out a under 25 hours used M with some attachments but I like the 0% financing for 60 months program and thus the L3901 came home or was delivered to me and the B2650 picked up.
Two used same model Kubota tractors and both with 28 hours and same price I'd take the pre regen model. Is that more clear?:D I haven't seen evidence saying the new regen is "better" than the pre regen is why I'd take the pre regen. I'm just saying I'm not letting new technology stop me from buying something I've decided I want/need.

/ First Regen Experience #13  
"Regen" is new to tractors, but not so new to semi trucks.
I teach at a school that almost never reaches the normal standard for a moving regen. All of our trucks (*2013 and 2014 models)poke around, trying to learn to shift or practice cornering. So we have regen problems ALL THE TIME!! We are constantly having check engine lights popping on, and have our shop busy way too much!
As far as the costs, with a truck when the filter needs manually cleaning, it is a huge cost. When the filter can't be cleaned again and it has to be replaced, multiply that cost by 4 and pray that it doesn't keep your truck down for weeks.
When I was running over the road with my first regen truck, the truck gave us a huge problem, stayed in the shop way too much and costs the company a fortune! My point is, when everything goes right, and it works as it should, life is great! When things go bad, with a regen, they go really bad!, I mean expensively bad! I won't own one till I can't get one without it, and then only if every tractor is worn completely out, and there aren't any parts for rebuild.
'nough said!!
David from jax

/ First Regen Experience #14  
Be honest, if the dealer had two brand new tractors, one with the emissions and one without, which would you choose?

"Regen" is new to tractors, but not so new to semi trucks.
I teach at a school that almost never reaches the normal standard for a moving regen. All of our trucks (*2013 and 2014 models)poke around, trying to learn to shift or practice cornering. So we have regen problems ALL THE TIME!! We are constantly having check engine lights popping on, and have our shop busy way too much!
As far as the costs, with a truck when the filter needs manually cleaning, it is a huge cost. When the filter can't be cleaned again and it has to be replaced, multiply that cost by 4 and pray that it doesn't keep your truck down for weeks.
When I was running over the road with my first regen truck, the truck gave us a huge problem, stayed in the shop way too much and costs the company a fortune! My point is, when everything goes right, and it works as it should, life is great! When things go bad, with a regen, they go really bad!, I mean expensively bad! I won't own one till I can't get one without it, and then only if every tractor is worn completely out, and there aren't any parts for rebuild.
'nough said!!
David from jax

I think your on the wrong forum. You keep talking about trucks and this is a tractor forum. Not in the same ballpark. Not ran or operated the same, as you tell us. Us tractor operators run our tractors full throttle or very near full throttle as soon as they warm up till we turn them off some times hours later. You say you have no experience with tractors with regen that are run like the factory says to run them, full out, yet you keep knocking tractors with regen systems????? What about motorcycles and go carts? Any advise on them?

/ First Regen Experience #15  
I think your on the wrong forum. You keep talking about trucks and this is a tractor forum. Not in the same ballpark. Not ran or operated the same, as you tell us. Us tractor operators run our tractors full throttle or very near full throttle as soon as they warm up till we turn them off some times hours later. You say you have no experience with tractors with regen that are run like the factory says to run them, full out, yet you keep knocking tractors with regen systems????? What about motorcycles and go carts? Any advise on them?

Some people read the equipments owners manual and use the equipment following the instructions and guidelines in the manual. Some people don't read the manual and abuse the equipment and complain about how the equipment was not manufactured to their specs so it a problem waiting to happen.

/ First Regen Experience #16  
I've seen it repeated on here several times about how tractors are run full throttle, or should be. I know much of my tractor use is just above idle, or half throttle, and only run at full throttle when I have the PTO in use (mowing, tilling). When did full throttle become the norm?

/ First Regen Experience #17  
I've seen it repeated on here several times about how tractors are run full throttle, or should be. I know much of my tractor use is just above idle, or half throttle, and only run at full throttle when I have the PTO in use (mowing, tilling). When did full throttle become the norm?
I was wondering the same thing...guess I won't need one of them new shiny ones. :)

/ First Regen Experience #18  

John, i think you may have missed the main point of his story. A re-gen is a re-gen, whether its a truck or a tractor, its intended EMISSION`S purpose is still the same principles. And also, it WILL be very costly to repair any way you stack the deck, if its re-gen equipped. My choice is not to buy one with emission crap on it, but those days are numbered i`m afraid. The way i look at it is, we`re ALL in the "same ballpark" with diesels, some of us are just standing in different corners of the field. The emissions game is still played the same, whether its truck`s, or tractor`s.

/ First Regen Experience #19  
The throttle lever gives us an option... run it how ever it suits your needs. But running wide open from start to finish...??? Sorry, but i totally disagree. I only run with just enough throttle to get the job done. If you walk up a hill, you`ll be less tired and less worn out. I think your equipment would feel the same way.

/ First Regen Experience #20  
John, i think you may have missed the main point of his story. A re-gen is a re-gen, whether its a truck or a tractor, its intended EMISSION`S purpose is still the same principles. And also, it WILL be very costly to repair any way you stack the deck, if its re-gen equipped. My choice is not to buy one with emission crap on it, but those days are numbered i`m afraid. The way i look at it is, we`re ALL in the "same ballpark" with diesels, some of us are just standing in different corners of the field. The emissions game is still played the same, whether its truck`s, or tractor`s.
I think you missed his point. If the equipment is not operated as recommended by the manufacturer it will malfunction. I don't know or care about the recommended running of a truck, don't have one and not getting one....today. My Tractors are diesel and are to be run at full throttle or near per instructions and per most of the diesel tractor owners. I had a lot of trouble with this when I first started dieseling because I was used to gasoline car/truck/mower engines and I operated them at the lowest setting possible to get the job done. Over the years people with much more experience and knowledge about diesel engines says to run them at or near full throttle and determine your speed with your transmission. New to me but I adapted and still cringe a bit when I do it but I do.
The throttle lever gives us an option... run it how ever it suits your needs. But running wide open from start to finish...??? Sorry, but i totally disagree. I only run with just enough throttle to get the job done. If you walk up a hill, you`ll be less tired and less worn out. I think your equipment would feel the same way.

Disagree if you want and run yours however you want. It's yours and you paid for it to do with as you see fit.
I'll follow the recommendations of the makers and people with much more knowledge and experience than me and they say run diesel engines at full or near full out and control your speed with the transmission. Diesel Power generators are ran full out all the time no matter the demand and they run for thousands and thousands of hours. If you walk up a hill, you`ll be less tired and less worn out. I think your equipment would feel the same way Odd comparison with no merit to compare the human body to a mechanical engine.:shocked::eek: