First Regen Experience

/ First Regen Experience #31  
All you gents with a lifetime of experience running diesel rigs know nothing in the mind of a man who has, admittedly owned 20+ Kubotas over the course of a few years... Obviously, someone who knows not what he wants, or needs..

I used to be like that myself, around Christmastime, when I was 5 years old...

BTW, If I were the folks at Barlows, which I'm not, I'd make sure someone here stopped incessantly using our name and giving us a bad reputation for having a shill on the forum.

P.S.
With 7,000 posts, someone obviously spends more time running his Kubota(s) from his keyboard rather that his tractor seat.

/ First Regen Experience #32  
All you gents with a lifetime of experience running diesel rigs know nothing in the mind of a man who has, admittedly owned 20+ Kubotas over the course of a few years... Obviously, someone who knows not what he wants, or needs..

I used to be like that myself, around Christmastime, when I was 5 years old...

BTW, If I were the folks at Barlows, which I'm not, I'd make sure someone here stopped incessantly using our name and giving us a bad reputation for having a shill on the forum.

Another person heard from that has actual (NOT) experience with the subject of the original post. Re: First Regen Experience . Some people have to speak just to be heard even if it shows their ignorance. Anyone else that owns, spent their own money, have any input to the original thread?
Interesting that some peoples lives are so staid that they never change their circumstances by selling/buying/adding/reducing their property and thus changing their needs. I know for some that's a far fetched idea to increase/decrease/change their holdings and even job situation but it happens to many of us that have more of a life than to troll internet sites to post foolish remarks.
I buy from Barlows and have been for over 14 years and just bought another one yesterday. Ashamed or proud, neither it's just a fact and many people on TBN contact me (one today actually) about Barlows and my experience working with them, not for them. I like all the guys at Barlows and most people do. I'll always tell of my good buying/trading and bad experience and have nothing to apologize for. I have also met many people that are on TBN personally at my home that know my non working relationship with Barlows.
Interesting that some people want everyone else to be just like them and do only what they do or they feel insecure. Yep, been a Counselor for over 40 years many "issues" are very obvious.

/ First Regen Experience #33  
I am on my 3rd diesel truck that does regens, of course since it sez FORD F 350 instead of Kubota its must be completely different. Of course I have owned 20 F350's in the last few years and when my dealer sees me coming they are sure glad to see me, heck they are almost dancing out in the streets...it does seem strange to me that after 2 regens on these Fords I need to trade them in on a new one, but that is what my sales guy Steve Slick tells me so it must be true. And I agree, running that big Ford diesel at WOT its got to be good for the engine Steve said it was, sure gets me where I want to go in a hurry. Anyhow got go, had my 2nd regen this morning and Steve has me a new rig ready for me. Sad, as he said the other day, he is gonna retire after my next regen...TaTa from dreamland.

/ First Regen Experience #34  
I might regret chiming in here but here goes.......We tend to compare our tractor engines to the cars and trucks we drive everyday. It is not a good comparison.
Tractor engines are more closely related to boat engines whereas they are designed to run in the max HP range for extended periods of time.
Saying that running a tractor at WOT will cause premature failure is simply false. Burn more fuel, yes.....create more noise, yes.....but more wear,no.
We are only talking 3000 RPM at most. As long as the cooling system is designed for it, running an internal combustion engine at 3000 RPM all day will not hurt it at all.

In fact, it is better to run at 3000 RPM then at idle because the pistons and cylinders are cooled and camshaft is lubed by oil slinging off the crank. At Idle there is little of this slinging effect. That is why you are told not to idle a new engine. Those parts must have a lot of oil during the run in period.

Of course once an engine gets to 6000 RPM the valve train and and connecting rods begin to stress, so engines that regularly see that need parts designed for it.

I will finish by saying that, I like most, run my tractor at an RPM I feel is suitable for the task although never below 1500 for more then a few mins.
Yes sometimes that is WOT during heavy work, but mostly around 2000 for normal tasks.

/ First Regen Experience #35  
Also, it is pretty common knowledge that any diesel with a DPF needs to be run hard and hot to minimize soot output and help with the regen process. This is helped by running at higher RPM then tractor owners have on past models.

Not arguing whether DPF is good or bad, just stating how to help avoid issues.

/ First Regen Experience #36  
I might regret chiming in here but here goes.......We tend to compare our tractor engines to the cars and trucks we drive everyday. It is not a good comparison.
Tractor engines are more closely related to boat engines whereas they are designed to run in the max HP range for extended periods of time.
Saying that running a tractor at WOT will cause premature failure is simply false. Burn more fuel, yes.....create more noise, yes.....but more wear,no.
We are only talking 3000 RPM at most. As long as the cooling system is designed for it, running an internal combustion engine at 3000 RPM all day will not hurt it at all.

In fact, it is better to run at 3000 RPM then at idle because the pistons and cylinders are cooled and camshaft is lubed by oil slinging off the crank. At Idle there is little of this slinging effect. That is why you are told not to idle a new engine. Those parts must have a lot of oil during the run in period.

Of course once an engine gets to 6000 RPM the valve train and and connecting rods begin to stress, so engines that regularly see that need parts designed for it.

I will finish by saying that, I like most, run my tractor at an RPM I feel is suitable for the task although never below 1500 for more then a few mins.
Yes sometimes that is WOT during heavy work, but mostly around 2000 for normal tasks.
If that were true we would never need to do a engine rebuild. Its a mechanical device, metal on metal and wear does occur and is accelerated as the rpm's go up. Can you build an engine to work at WOT...certainly, boats, jet engines, race cars and in fact a dive into the GM HiPerf catalog will list engines designed to operate at WOT for extended periods. But I will assure you this shortens the life span. Even notice how the AA Fuel class rebuilds the engines after ever run down the 1320, why Jet engines are rebuilt based upon hours. Its not just because of high rpm albeit that will also shorten its life span. Until we can develop a frictionless engine they will all have a limited lifespan.

/ First Regen Experience #37  
If that were true we would never need to do a engine rebuild. Its a mechanical device, metal on metal and wear does occur and is accelerated as the rpm's go up. Can you build an engine to work at WOT...certainly, boats, jet engines, race cars and in fact a dive into the GM HiPerf catalog will list engines designed to operate at WOT for extended periods. But I will assure you this shortens the life span. Even notice how the AA Fuel class rebuilds the engines after ever run down the 1320, why Jet engines are rebuilt based upon hours. Its not just because of high rpm albeit that will also shorten its life span. Until we can develop a frictionless engine they will all have a limited lifespan.

Your statement is completely true, however, there is a huge difference between normal wear, excessive wear and premature failure.
I did not say there would be no wear, I'm saying that normal wear would not be different on a tractor engine that is run at 2000 RPM for 3000 hrs and a tractor engine run at 2800 RPM for 3000 hrs.

Race cars are a completely different story and Jet engines are not an ICE.....

/ First Regen Experience #38  
JOHNTHOMAS--you're right. Don't sweat the small stuff and I agree. You're my go-to Kubota guy when I need to know something Kubota and based on actual user experience as well as book education.

/ First Regen Experience #39  
Another person heard from that has actual (NOT) experience with the subject of the original post. Re: First Regen Experience . Some people have to speak just to be heard even if it shows their ignorance. Anyone else that owns, spent their own money, have any input to the original thread?
Interesting that some peoples lives are so staid that they never change their circumstances by selling/buying/adding/reducing their property and thus changing their needs. I know for some that's a far fetched idea to increase/decrease/change their holdings and even job situation but it happens to many of us that have more of a life than to troll internet sites to post foolish remarks.
I buy from Barlows and have been for over 14 years and just bought another one yesterday. Ashamed or proud, neither it's just a fact and many people on TBN contact me (one today actually) about Barlows and my experience working with them, not for them. I like all the guys at Barlows and most people do. I'll always tell of my good buying/trading and bad experience and have nothing to apologize for. I have also met many people that are on TBN personally at my home that know my non working relationship with Barlows.
Interesting that some people want everyone else to be just like them and do only what they do or they feel insecure. Yep, been a Counselor for over 40 years many "issues" are very obvious.

Well, this is the first time I've been diagnosed as mentally ill by a silly post on the internet! After 40 years, I would think one should know better!

Physician .. Heal thyself!

P.S. Good thing it's rainy outside today... Upon further thought, perhaps I do need help.. I'm listening to a gentleman that made his living sitting on his bottom trying to help other people solve life's problems, tell us how to run our diesels...

I'll retire to bedlam! LOL

/ First Regen Experience #40  
Yep, been a Counselor for over 40 years many "issues" are very obvious.

I'm wondering if I got the facts correctly here: You're a mental health counselor, advising dysfunctional people in life-changing decisions and yet you need Steve Barlow to tell you what tractor to buy after purchasing 20 new ones?