First tractor, a John Deere 970, purchased 4 days ago. New owner intro & questions.

/ First tractor, a John Deere 970, purchased 4 days ago. New owner intro & questions. #1  

JD 970

Tractor
John Deere 970
First tractor, a John Deere 970, purchased 4 days ago. New owner intro & questions.

Hi Gang,

Last Thursday I purchased a used JD 970. The tractor has 165 hours on it and I am the second owner. The original owner purchased it in 1994 and used it to pull a finish mower at his home. The tractor came with no attachments and looks brand new. The only item that shows any wear is the three point hitch, which is a little scuffed. Even the floorboards where the operator's feet rests are still painted and scratch free. The tractor is four wheel drive (MFWD?) and was garage kept. The tractor has a manual transmission. I paid $12,900 for the tractor. This was at the high end of the spectrum of used 970s I found for sale on the web, but it was the nicest, lowest hour 970 I could find and I thought it was worth it.

Some backbround on me so you can understand a bit of my skillset which may help you generate a response to my questions. I am 55 years old and am a Professor in the University of North Carolina system. This is my third invention of myself. I started life as a diesel mechanic in the Army back in the late 70s. Obtained my electrical engineering degree in the 80s, working for Motorola, Intel, and NASA (among other companies). After 25 or so years as an engineer, I obtained my MBA and a Ph.D. As it turns out, the Ph.D. led me from Arizona to North Carolina where my wife and I purchased a 22 acre property. The property has a 2 acre pasture, a 3 acre pond, and the remainder of the property is old growth forest,,, most of it so thick with trees that walking through the forest can be difficult. There is so much work that needs to be done here.

I purchasd the tractor to mow the pasture and area around the pond, move gravel (more on this later), horse manure, and round bales of hay, pull small trees, etc.

On Friday and Saturday, I went through the tractor, inspecting it and servicing it. I ordered the service manual, but it has not yet arrived so the maintenance I have done is simple: lubrication (primarily) and systems functionality. Here is what my inspection produced: Front and rear axles appear to have never had the oil changed. Drain plugs are virgin (still painted with no marks). Fluid in the axles is clear and looks brand new (clear). Air filter appears to be original and is clean. Fuel filters (one by tank and one in engine compartment) look brown and need to be changed. Everything else on the tractor looks new and untouched. Every bolt is shiny and untouched. You could eat off the undercarriage it is so clean. Not a spec of stray oil or grease to be found.

For maintenance, I have checked all the fluid levels, greased the chassis (every grease point I could find ) and oiled every linkage I could find. I adjusted the brakes (they were about .5" out of spec on pedal movement), and surprisingly, the clutch was in-spec for pedal freeplay.

My experience as a mechanic suggests that I should replace all the filters and fluids in the entire tractor. Given how good the axle fluids are, it may be overkill to replace them. Engine oil needs to be changed, but I need to wait until my local John Deere dealer opens so I can purchase the filters and supplies I need.

So... after this very long introduction, here are my questions:

1. Is there anything I need to know about the 970? Potential systemic problems? I know that it was produced by Yanmar and badged as John Deere, but I have searched the web high and low and have found little "real world" user comments about it.

2. I plan to replace all the fluids and filters. With 165 hours on the tractor, would it be a waste to do so? Maybe an oil change would suffice?

3. Attachments. I really need a front end loader, but I have searched the web and have not found a single new or used John Deere 440 or 70 series FEL. Any suggestions on where I might find one?

4. Rear Wheels. They are set at their widest setting (lowest CG). I do not have any hills on my property where I am worried about tipping over, and setting the rear wheels on their narrowest setting would make getting through the forest and around on the paths easier. Should I leave them as they are for stability or do you think I should move them in. I suspect moving them in will be fine, but I do not know how "tippy" these tractors are.

5. I am looking at a used John Deere MX5 rotary cutter. Do you think my tractor can handle this cutter or would I be better off getting a lighter duty 4' cutter? I have some bamboo on my property that runs 1" to 3" in diameter, but most of it is 1" or smaller. There are LOTS of small trees growing around the edge of the pond that are in the same size range and I would like to cut them down if possible.

6. Anything else I am forgetting? Is there other maintenance items you would perform?

Thanks for bearing with me on this long post... and most of all, thanks in advance for any advice you might be able to offer on one or more of my questions.

Best,

Joe

/ First tractor, a John Deere 970, purchased 4 days ago. New owner intro & questions. #2  
Re: First tractor, a John Deere 970, purchased 4 days ago. New owner intro & questio

165 hours...boy, the previous owner didn't mow much!

There are no particular issues to watch out for. All of the Yanmar built Deeres have been pretty solid tractors. I've owned three (670, 790 and a Yanmar powered, Deere built 4400). That's probably a dual stage clutch, so learn how to use it and DO NOT ride the clutch!!

I would change the fluids...even with those low hours, the fluids have been in the tractors for 15 years or more.

The 970 can easily handle a 5' rotary cutter (my 790 with less PTO HP could handle a 5' cutter easily).

I'd leave the rear wheels at their widest...but if you do set the wheels to a narrower position, definitely fill them to the 75% mark (the wheels should be fully submerged in the fluid).

It's going to be difficult finding a Deere loader. IIRC, the 970 will also accept the 420 and 430 loaders. The mounting brackets that attach to the tractor might be the most difficult parts to find. You might have to consider aftermarket loaders such as a Woods. Not cheap though...probably somewhere between $3K and $5K.

One thing I would purchase would be the service manual on CD-ROM. It's about $50 if I recall correctly.

/ First tractor, a John Deere 970, purchased 4 days ago. New owner intro & questions. #3  
Re: First tractor, a John Deere 970, purchased 4 days ago. New owner intro & questio

Buy a really reasonably priced 4310 or 4410 with a loader. Make sure you find some mounting brackets first. Use the front end loader for your 970 and sell the tractor to me. Or we could do this in reverse. I could buy the tractor and sell you the loader.

Pretty awesome find there. And by the way we don't live close enough for the above idea to work. I'm just planting seeds for an alternate way to accomplish your goal.

People might think I'm crazy but I'm in the market for a second tractor. I don't need two fel's. For that matter I don't need two tractor's either but it would be nice to have one set up with the loader and the other set up with the snowblower. Ok I'm done high jacking your tread. Good luck!!

/ First tractor, a John Deere 970, purchased 4 days ago. New owner intro & questions.

Thanks for all the responses everyone! Here are a few pictures:

Attachments

• IMG_1893.jpg
    IMG_1893.jpg
    343.3 KB · Views: 2,650
  • IMG_1898.jpg
    IMG_1898.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 2,208
  • IMG_1900.jpg
    IMG_1900.jpg
    272.8 KB · Views: 2,512
  • IMG_1904.jpg
    IMG_1904.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 946
  • IMG_1905.jpg
    IMG_1905.jpg
    274.8 KB · Views: 646
  • IMG_1906.jpg
    IMG_1906.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 686
   / First tractor, a John Deere 970, purchased 4 days ago. New owner intro & questions. #6  

3. Attachments. I really need a front end loader, but I have searched the web and have not found a single new or used John Deere 440 or 70 series FEL. Any suggestions on where I might find one?
My JD 300 series loader manual shows the 300CX loader fits the 970, 1070, 990, and 4005 tractors. I'd contact a JD dealer and find out for sure then just put a new loader on that 970.

From the online JD 300 series loader manual:

OMW54458

OMW54458

OMW54458

OMW54458

/ First tractor, a John Deere 970, purchased 4 days ago. New owner intro & questions.

By the way, I noticed one interesting quirk about this tractor. For some reason, the steering wheel does not always return to the same position with the wheels centered. It seems to be all over the place. Sometimes with the wheels centered the running deer in the center of the wheel is upside down, sometimes facing right, sometimes left and sometimes it even is centered correctly with the proper orientation. The center emblem is not turning, it is designed to clip in only one way.

On a car, if you turn the wheel left or right and then re-center it, it will always be oriented properly. Not so on this tractor. Any ideas why this happens? I do not believe there is anything broken or amiss, it almost seems it is systemic to the design. Any thoughts?

Thanks again for everyone's help.

Best,

Joe

/ First tractor, a John Deere 970, purchased 4 days ago. New owner intro & questions. #8  

Great find Joe, that tractor should do you for many years . I would definitely change all filters and fluids . If there isn't a lot of play in the steering wheel I can't answer that question .

Be careful bush hogging as things can fly around at times . I have never bush hogged 3 inch bamboo , maybe someone could chime in on that one .

/ First tractor, a John Deere 970, purchased 4 days ago. New owner intro & questions. #9  

I would bring the rear wheels in to match the track of the fronts. This makes it a no brainer to roll onto a trailer. The battery cables ought to be checked for corrosion and cleaned at both ends. Pay special attention to the voltage regulator connections. I've replaced mine TWICE. I have a model 80 loader on mine. I easily run a Woods 2584 7' finish mower with my 1070 (1 extra piston). It works well as an MX cutter, too, with Gator mulching blades on it and set to the highest guage wheel position. A canopy makes a nice addition. And for Heavens sake, put a few dents in the hood and a crease in the radiator screen to make me feel better. One thing (seriously), it's easy to lose the fuel tank cover, so adjust the tangs as necesary to make it tight.

/ First tractor, a John Deere 970, purchased 4 days ago. New owner intro & questions. #10  

Joe, That steering is by design. I don't know why, but my 4110 does the same thing. Dealer said it was design, so I quit worrying about it.