First tractor, a John Deere 970, purchased 4 days ago. New owner intro & questions.

/ First tractor, a John Deere 970, purchased 4 days ago. New owner intro & questions. #11  
Re: First tractor, a John Deere 970, purchased 4 days ago. New owner intro & questio

In a vehicle there is a mechanical connection between the steering wheel and the front wheels. On anything with hydrostatic power steering which you have, there is no mechanical connection. All that hydrostatic steering has is two hydraulic hoses to the front steering cylinder. What you are seeing is the "slip" in the power steering motor under the steering wheel. Nothing to be concerned about. Enjoy that nice "new" tractor!

/ First tractor, a John Deere 970, purchased 4 days ago. New owner intro & questions. #12  
Re: First tractor, a John Deere 970, purchased 4 days ago. New owner intro & questio

In a vehicle there is a mechanical connection between the steering wheel and the front wheels. On anything with hydrostatic power steering which you have, there is no mechanical connection. All that hydrostatic steering has is two hydraulic hoses to the front steering cylinder. What you are seeing is the "slip" in the power steering motor under the steering wheel. Nothing to be concerned about. Enjoy that nice "new" tractor!

Concur...my 790 was exactly the same...

/ First tractor, a John Deere 970, purchased 4 days ago. New owner intro & questions.

Thanks for all the replies! I am off to my JD dealer tomorrow for a filter kit and to price a 300cx loader.

/ First tractor, a John Deere 970, purchased 4 days ago. New owner intro & questions.

Visited my john Deere dealer today and ordered a D165 loader. The 300cx is discontinued according to my dealer. I also picked up all the filters and fluids oi will need to change out the old fluids and filters. I will upload some pictures once the loader comes in.

/ First tractor, a John Deere 970, purchased 4 days ago. New owner intro & questions. #15  

You will enjoy your machine and wonder what you did without it. Keep an casual look around for a matching backhoe.

/ First tractor, a John Deere 970, purchased 4 days ago. New owner intro & questions. #16  

Maybe the dealer explained the different loader options to you. I looked up the 165 loaders as I don't know anything about them. By the specs the H165 loader has more lifting capability than the D165. The H165 matches the old 300CX loader specs. Just wanting you to be aware of this if you did not already know.

It was indeed the H165 that was ordered. I typed the D165 in error. The salesman told me that he thought the H165 was the same as the 300cx. Thanks for pointing this out!

Maybe the dealer explained the different loader options to you. I looked up the 165 loaders as I don't know anything about them. By the specs the H165 loader has more lifting capability than the D165. The H165 matches the old 300CX loader specs. Just wanting you to be aware of this if you did not already know.

/ First tractor, a John Deere 970, purchased 4 days ago. New owner intro & questions. #18  

That is great! You have a basically new tractor and getting a new loader. Enjoy using them.:)

/ First tractor, a John Deere 970, purchased 4 days ago. New owner intro & questions. #19  

I've had my 1992 970 for a little over 2 years now and it's been trouble free. We mine was a little cheaper, but had almost 1400 hours on it. It had been abused to the point of needing some minor repair and work. The quick attach FEL is a series 80 JD loader with a 6' bucket, the backhoe is a JD #8A with a 12" bucket. I have the 3 point stuff as well as the draw bar, and it handles a 5' brush hog well. Only thing different might be I'm mowing tumble weed and smaller brush, sounds like your stuff is thicker. I think even with mowing thicker material, you just slow down a little in a lower gear and keep the RPM's up, and it's going to cut just fine and have all the power you need. When running the 5' Howard tiller, hardly enough power used at full depth to notice a power draw. When I got my tractor I changed every fluid and filter for a fresh start. That steering wheel will end up in a different place every time you park it, nature of the beast. Enjoy your tractor, thinking you have many years of good use left on it.
Chris

/ First tractor, a John Deere 970, purchased 4 days ago. New owner intro & questions. #20  

I bush hog over 3" diameter 15' tall trees and just take it slow. It will chew them up. Not an issue. My rule is that if I can bend them over with loader scoop as i am mowing I will let the mower cut them up.